Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 16126 times)

that_one_girl

Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »
I grew up in US, and my mom always used a regular kettle to make tea. 
While living in Japan, I had an electric kettle and got used to that. 
I also have a whistling kettle measuring cup-thingy designed for use in a microwave that is good for just one cup.
These days I am usually making a whole thermos of tea to go to work with me, plus some oatmeal, plus tea to go with breakfast, so I find an electric kettle much more convenient.  (By the time I am done having breakfast and getting my thermos of tea made, I have usually filled the electric kettle at least twice)
When making iced tea, I use a pot on the stove so that I can dissolve my sweetener in the tea and then add ice cubes to get it cool enough to put in my tea pitcher. 
I also have a Keurig machine that I use to make coffee, since I rarely want more than one cup at a time.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »
US. Like so many in this country, I don't have an electric kettle (they're becoming more common, but not ubiquitous yet). I've got a stove top model that I like (aside from it's distressing tendency to develop a grease patina, which probably says more about my slap-dash cooking style than the kettle itself ;)).

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »
I grew up in Texas without an electric kettle. If we needed small amounts of hot water, we used the microwave. Otherwise, we boiled it on the stove.

Then I spent a semester abroad in Ireland, where the house I lived in came equipped with an electric kettle, and where I drank more tea than I ever had before or since. It was absolutely essential to all of my Irish housemates, and by the time I left, I agreed with them. So when I got back home, I went out and bought the only electric kettle sold at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It cost me $50, but I still have it and use it daily 8 years later.

I also convinced my mom to get one a few years later, and she liked it so much that she gave one to my brother and sister-in-law. They liked it so much that my brother's parents-in-law ended up buying one as well. I don't think my sister owns one, but I'm pretty sure she wants one. So my whole family can thank the Irish and my time abroad for this wonderfully convenient device. :)

I now live in the Pacific NW. I don't think anyone else I know has an electric kettle, but I do see quite a few models for sale at places like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and even more for sale online. When I bought mine, it was just about the only one available (else I'd have looked for one a bit cheaper than the $50 I paid for it).

I have become much more of a coffee drinker than a tea drinker, but I do use my kettle when I make tea. At the moment, I primarily use mine for pre-heating my coffee thermos and making instant oatmeal, but I love the fact that I can flick the button and go do something else while the water boils. I also love the auto-off feature, because I frequently am involved doing something by the time it's done boiling, so I can ignore it. I do sometimes have to re-boil the water, but it goes faster when it's already hot, and I figure it's just extra sanitized. :)

Unless I'm actually cooking on the stove, I never use anything but my electric kettle to heat water. It holds 1.7 liters, and even when I need more than that, it's often still faster to just fill it up twice. It's way faster than my electric stove, and way easier than the microwave. I live in an area with very soft water, so I can't remember the last time I had to clean the inside of the electric kettle. I actually don't know that I've ever had to clean it. Even in my apartment kitchen with limited counter space and outlets, my kettle has a spot on the counter and a dedicated outlet. It is, in that respect, as essential as my toaster, my microwave, and my coffee maker. :)

finecabernet

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »
US here. I once worked for a UK company, and the Brits I worked with had their own set of tea and electric kettles in the morning. Have to confess it was the first time I ever saw one. The regular tea kettle or the office water station (which dispenses hot water) have always worked for me, but I'm really intrigued by the idea of an electric kettle.

nayberry

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
UK here,  now i'm an odd mix with half irish heritage on one side, so as you'd expect if you cut me it's pure tea!!

we have an electric kettle which is on it's last legs from many years of abuse ;)  and a stovetop one (like this http://tinyurl.com/lo2m748) but the stovetop is only used occasionally

Faerydust

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »
US here, from Hawaii. Growing up, my parents had a stovetop tea kettle that my Dad used to heat water for his tea. I've never had my own kettle. I use a Keurig for my coffee and just use it without a k-cup on the rare occasion that I have tea.

We went to Taiwan a few weeks ago and our hotel room didn't have a coffeemaker or microwave like they often do in the US, but they did have an electric kettle. I loved how quickly it boiled water, but I'm not a big fan of instant coffee so I wouldn't buy one to use at home.

In Hawaii, this is what is commonly used to heat water for tea: https://www.ccteaz.com/images/tea/112-sized.jpg

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:51:54 PM by Faerydust »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »
I was at a friend's aunt's place a while ago, to pick up my friend.  I was invited to stay for a cup of tea and some goodies before we hit the road.  So we all sat down at the kitchen table to chat while we waited for the kettle to boil.  All of a sudden, I'm jumping out of my skin and the rest of the table is laughing and saying, 'Train's coming!'  You see, this aunt's stove top kettle sounded like a train whistle.  And was almost as loud.  Scared the daylights out of me.  She's an older lady and is starting to get hard of hearing.  She ruined a kettle, letting it boil dry, because she didn't hear it.  So she got the loudest one she could find.

Everyone else was used to it; they forgot to warn me.  Accidentally or on purpose, I'll never be sure.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 09:07:12 PM »
US here - I do have an electric kettle and love it.

I use it for loose leaf tea and sometimes for coffee because it's faster than heating water by any other method in our house.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2013, 09:34:48 PM »
U.S. here. My Dad does. When I go to visit him and Mom in New Jersey, I get to use it. ;D It is very handy!

This is a picture of what his kettle looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-K2070Y-Electric-Kettle/dp/B00023XCWS/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1378603946&sr=1-1

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2013, 03:17:05 AM »
Another Brit here- I can't be without my electric kettle! I think I've only ever met one person who didn't have one.
NE England

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »
Aussie here, and I've never not had a kettle. I love tea, can't have coffee. Actually, I mentioned this thread to DH and he suddenly decided he wanted some tea.

DH and I were very pleasantly surprised on our honeymoon on the Rhapsody of the Seas, an American ship, to see not just an electric kettle but a European one that boiled tea swiftly. I had brought tea, just in case.

Has anyone seen the Stephen Fry Twinings Tea ads? They're for the US, but I love Stephen Fry and he does know his tea.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »
How much tea do people drink per day?  I'm on about 3 or 4 cups, on average.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
The ILs were powerful tea drinkers.  FIL always seemed to have one of those big mugs with a lid by his side. 

Perhaps being Chinese had something to do with it.  Perhaps it was a family thing.  Every picture of his father has a big tea mug in it somewhere. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2013, 10:42:55 AM »
Maybe that explains why I am rather puzzled that people are so enthusiastic about electric kettles. Viewed from my perspective, it would be an appliance taking up room on the counter, that I would use only once a day.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

veryfluffy

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »

I have a tea at least four times per day, and DH one or two more than that.