Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 17719 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2013, 11:09:44 AM »
Central US here: I have one that I bought 35 years ago to heat water for doing dishes in the camper. It went into storage after we bought a camper with a better water heater.

Then we had our flood last April and no hot water in the basement for a while, so that little guy really got a lot of use heating water for cleaning.

It still works well, but if I were going to need a kettle, I would get a stovetop one. When we had a gas stove, water got to boiling nearly instantly anyway, and now I have a ceramic top electric stove which does just as well. I don't want to waste the counter space, anyway. I also didn't like the lime buildup it got - it would put flakes of lime in the water no matter now much vinegar I cleaned it with so if I did use it for food, I would use a strainer.

I don't know anyone else who has one, but several of my friends do keep a teakettle on the stove.

I had a hot pot in college - the only cooking appliance we were allowed in our dorms, and that thing really got a workout heating water for hot chocolate, which we could pick up for free in the cafeteria.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »
How much tea do people drink per day?  I'm on about 3 or 4 cups, on average.

3-4 large cups of tea on average for me.

jilly

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »
2 large mugs and 3 cups on average for me. My DH does not function without at lest one mug of instant coffee in the morning and gets through another 4 or so during the day. plus the odd hot chocolate, herbal tea or instant soup. At work we don't have a kettle it's too slow we have an urn on the wall and a hot drink vending machine.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

3-4 large cups of tea on average for me.

I'll drink a ton in the winter, and none whatsoever in the summer. For some reason I can't stand cold (iced) tea, and really don't want a hot drink when it's 80-something outside.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
Two cups at the mostly or I'd be peeing all the time.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »
I go through phases - currently I'm only drinking the occasional cup of tea but once the cooler weather comes it will be 2-3 cups per day (usually before noon, though - after that I have to switch to herbal.)

Jones

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
Maybe that explains why I am rather puzzled that people are so enthusiastic about electric kettles. Viewed from my perspective, it would be an appliance taking up room on the counter, that I would use only once a day.

Same at my house. Counter space is a premium, as are outlets. DH drinks one cuppa per day, I stick with coffee when I get to work; if you ever see me drink tea you will know that I feel quite ill.

We had an electric kettle for years, then it malfunctioned; no love lost, it had become a pain to clean (mineral buildups that resisted everything, and I couldn't use a metal scrubbie on it because it was plastic), and we had nowhere to store it off counter once we'd extended our kitchen gadgets into the realm of "normal". A toaster took its place; we were pretty excited to get that toaster, too. We now have two stovetop whistling kettles, and we do use the kettle for instant cocoa as needed, or my instant cappuccino on days I don't go to work and get my fix there; randomly a cup o'noodle instant lunch is eaten but it's not anywhere near commonly consumed fare in our home. We only really "need" the whistler once a day on average, though.

I grew up in a kettle-free home. We didn't use the microwave for heating water either; just a pot on the stove and a ladle for herbal concoctions in a cup (tea-free zone too), or instant soups and ramen noodles--almost daily on those, big family and cheap food.

The whistling kettle is a huge step up from those days!

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2013, 06:36:24 PM »
If we haven't used the kettle in several days, I put it away and don't take it out again until we need it. But in the fall/winter we use it a lot, and it's worth it to have it on our (admittedly limited) counter space. It is FANTASTIC if anyone has a cold and wants to gargle with warm salt water. For real.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »
Pot on stove takes so much more time than using a kettle that I wonder why people bother. I boil water in it not just for tea but pasta, eggs and potatoes.

Jones

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »
Pot on stove takes so much more time than using a kettle that I wonder why people bother. I boil water in it not just for tea but pasta, eggs and potatoes.

The long part, for me, isn't waiting for the water to boil but for the infernal macaroni to get soft...just absorb the water already!

(Yes I have a pan on at the moment. I put the water on to boil while I unloaded the dishwasher, then I poured in the pasta, I have been waiting 6 minutes for the noodles to soften...any time now...)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2013, 08:50:02 PM »

For those of you in Australia, Europe and the UK, please remember that voltage in the US is 110V, so the electric kettle doesn't heat up as fast.

I've timed it and my stove top kettle takes 6 minutes to boil when full.  My electric kettle takes 3 min when full.  It's not that much longer in the scheme of things.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
NH, USA.  We do NOT have an electric kettle; we drink coffee at home.

However, during a ~5 week tour of Australia/New Zealand last year, I discovered that every hotel/inn/B&B/etc. we stayed at had a "hospitality tray" and electric kettle, and for ~5 weeks I had the daily bliss of a cup of Earl Grey and some sort of biscuit in bed every morning before I hit the shower.

What an awesome idea.  Why don't US hotels do this?!

that_one_girl

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2013, 10:15:24 PM »

a LOT!  It helps me stay warm and hydrated and healthy during the cold, cruel winter!  I suffer from extreme dry mouth do not feel properly hydrated unless I drink about a gallon of fluids per day.  Drinking tea helps break up the monotony.

sunnygirl

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
Thanks - I did wonder if the different in voltage may be part of the reason.

I drink many cups a day but rarely 'proper' tea; green tea with breakfast, and cran-raspberry or apple crush throughout the day. Sometimes TeaPigs chai. Then herbal at night. Lemon&ginger for colds and sore throats. Though when I'm in a hotel the first thing I do is make a cup of PG Tips or whatever they have.

I used to have one electric kettle in my kitchen and a second in my bedroom (along with some boxes of herbal/fruit tea and a carafe of water). I actually also drink fruit juice diluted with hot water which I am aware is probably deeply weird - after I had my tonsils removed my throat couldn't tolerate anything cold, and I got used to having all my soft drinks warm.

However, during a ~5 week tour of Australia/New Zealand last year, I discovered that every hotel/inn/B&B/etc. we stayed at had a "hospitality tray" and electric kettle, and for ~5 weeks I had the daily bliss of a cup of Earl Grey and some sort of biscuit in bed every morning before I hit the shower.
The hospitality tray is basically my #1 favourite thing about staying in hotels (in countries that do them, of course).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:19:22 PM by sunnygirl »

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2013, 10:19:04 PM »
US (California) here. It's been 10-15 years since I had a stovetop kettle (handle broke, never needed it enough to replace it) and I've never had an electric one. For the last two years I've had a Keurig coffee maker, if I need hot water for tea or hot chocolate I just run the machine without a kcup.