Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 18236 times)

ishka

Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2013, 10:39:35 PM »
NH, USA.  We do NOT have an electric kettle; we drink coffee at home.

However, during a ~5 week tour of Australia/New Zealand last year, I discovered that every hotel/inn/B&B/etc. we stayed at had a "hospitality tray" and electric kettle, and for ~5 weeks I had the daily bliss of a cup of Earl Grey and some sort of biscuit in bed every morning before I hit the shower.

What an awesome idea.  Why don't US hotels do this?!

A friend of mine was seconded from London to New York by the company she worked for.  She does not drink coffee and is fussy about her tea, so she contacted the hotel she was to be staying in to make sure there would be an electric kettle in her room.  The young man she spoke to at the hotel had no idea what she was talking about but assured her that if she wanted an electric kettle he personally would make sure there was one in her room.

When she arrived there was the cutest little plug in pot, like a mini cauldron, and a beaming young man who was so proud of the fact that he had managed to find an "electric kettle".

She went out and bought her own but she said that it was by no means easy to find one and it was quite expensive.

katycoo

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
I'm a tea drinker, but I don't have an electric kettle. I use a stovetop kettle. If, for some reason, I am going to be drinking tea throughout the day, I make an entire pot, strain it (I always use loose tea, not bags) and put the tea in the refrigerator to be heated a cup at a time in the microwave.

Oh dear.  The idea of doing this is making my taste buds scream, and I'm not even much of a tea drinker!!

Also, since my Dad was seriously burned in the face by a superheated cup of reheated tea from the microwave exploding on him, I simply would never do this.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2013, 10:57:13 PM »
Australian here.

I've always had an electric kettle, and as far back as when I was about 5 we always had one growing up.  Before that it was a pot on the stove. 

I drink tea and coffee, but I prefer plunger coffee (French press) to coffee-machine as I have never had one make it hot (drip machine) or large (K-cup or pods) enough.  When I travel I have a plunger mug which goes with me.

When I was in the US last year the hotel room had a coffee maker but no kettle.  The first shopping expedition was to Walmart, and I bought a kettle there, it was about $12 and they only had one make/model for sale.  I left it in the room when I checked out, so it's probably sitting in a storage room somewhere now.  It was worth it though for the convenience.

I also have a gorgeous 70's Danish design stovetop kettle which I bought for display, it earns its purchase price every time we have a power failure - mostly over winter, so I have the wood fire going.  Just fill it up and leave it on the top plate and I have boiling water whenever I want a cuppa.

crella

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »
This is the type we have in Japan, usually.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/instant_hot_water_dispensers.aspx#dispensers

Most Japanese drink green tea with lunch and dinner, and older people drink it any time they are thirsty, they don't usually drink tap water. One of these gets a lot of use in an average household. However, now that it's just the two of us most of the time, I can't see heating 2L or 4L of water 24 hours a day so we have an electric kettle-

http://www.amazon.com/T-FAL-electric-kettle-apresia-BF8061JP/dp/B0093WJ63I

I drink herb tea once a day, so maybe I don't need one, it was for us a smaller substitute for the larger dispenser. I think they are safer than an open pot on the stove to heat water, as our granddaughter is very small.

Bluenomi

« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2013, 02:24:46 AM »
Aussie here. Love my electric kettle since I'm a tea drinker. I also use it if I need boiling water for cooking since it's quicker than heating it on the stove.

There is something so comforting about the ding you get when it boils and you know you can make your tea

Carotte

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:16 AM »

Most Japanese drink green tea with lunch and dinner, and older people drink it any time they are thirsty, they don't usually drink tap water. One of these gets a lot of use in an average household. However, now that it's just the two of us most of the time, I can't see heating 2L or 4L of water 24 hours a day so we have an electric kettle-

That's the kind the office I worked in had in the loby, I loved it! No need to wait for the water to boil and it was almost always full enough that I could fill my big starbuck thermo-cup-thingy.
But when it was empty you had to wait for the guy in charge of the lobby to fill it up, no way to do it yourself.

Anyway, I went out and bought one today! A pretty basic one that is not very pretty but doesn't make too much noise so that's nice.
There were prettier and cheaper ones but every review said they were very noisy, and who would want that in the morning when you're trying to wake-up?

crella

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »

That's the kind the office I worked in had in the loby, I loved it! No need to wait for the water to boil and it was almost always full enough that I could fill my big starbuck thermo-cup-thingy.
But when it was empty you had to wait for the guy in charge of the lobby to fill it up, no way to do it yourself.

Anyway, I went out and bought one today! A pretty basic one that is not very pretty but doesn't make too much noise so that's nice.
There were prettier and cheaper ones but every review said they were very noisy, and who would want that in the morning when you're trying to wake-up?

They are great. My mother fell in love with them when she first came to visit me , she went right home and bought one from Amazon. She used to drink enormous mugs of tea.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
I'm a tea drinker, but I don't have an electric kettle. I use a stovetop kettle. If, for some reason, I am going to be drinking tea throughout the day, I make an entire pot, strain it (I always use loose tea, not bags) and put the tea in the refrigerator to be heated a cup at a time in the microwave.

Oh dear.  The idea of doing this is making my taste buds scream, and I'm not even much of a tea drinker!!

Actually, it works quite well. I make the tea stronger than usual, by adding extra tea leaves, not be steeping it longer, which would make it bitter. Since the tea (like water that has been boiled) gets a bit "flat" tasting after a while, I add fresh cold water to dilute it to the strength I like. I know my microwave & my cup, so I know how long to zap it and have never had a super heating problem.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2013, 02:15:50 PM »
Pot on stove takes so much more time than using a kettle that I wonder why people bother. I boil water in it not just for tea but pasta, eggs and potatoes.

So do you boil the water in the kettle and then pour it into a pot with the pasta or potatoes and then put it on the stove to complete cooking?

Carotte

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2013, 02:21:34 PM »
Pot on stove takes so much more time than using a kettle that I wonder why people bother. I boil water in it not just for tea but pasta, eggs and potatoes.

So do you boil the water in the kettle and then pour it into a pot with the pasta or potatoes and then put it on the stove to complete cooking?

What I usualy do is heat either all the water in the keetle, pour it into the pot, bring it (back) to a boil and continue as normal - or if I need more water than the keetle allows I start heating up the rest of the water in the pot while the keetle is boiling away, then wait way less time for everything to boil.

marcel

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »
I am personaly not talking about a pot on a stove, but about a kettle on a stove, big difference in time to get to boil.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »

Yes, and this is an electric kettle, not a stove kettle.

Arila

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
I quite happily got along with the microwave or a pot... until I Married a guy from the UK. His sister gave us one as a wedding present.

I use it now whenever I need hot water as it's very fast, but if not for him, I'd rather reduce the counter-clutter.

katycoo

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »

Actually, it works quite well. I make the tea stronger than usual, by adding extra tea leaves, not be steeping it longer, which would make it bitter. Since the tea (like water that has been boiled) gets a bit "flat" tasting after a while, I add fresh cold water to dilute it to the strength I like. I know my microwave & my cup, so I know how long to zap it and have never had a super heating problem.

Do something like that daily and you're always going to get it down to a fine art for exactly how you like it :)

Pen^2

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »
I find this topic very interesting. To be honest, until only a few years ago, I thought a kettle of some description was as standard as a microwave: sure, some people might not have one, but they are very much in the minority. DH and I have between us lived in four countries, and we've traveled a bit and visited several more countries. Eventually, we once found ourselves in the USA in a decent enough hotel which had no kettle. We were stunned: how would guests make tea? It was an international hotel, so although coffee was more the norm in the USA, they were billing themselves as a place that catered to what was more the standard in other countries. We asked at the front desk if they had one we could perhaps use, and the guy didn't seem to know what a kettle even was. He kept saying, "Oh, do you mean a coffee machine?"

In the end, Google helped us boil water safely in the coffee maker (we didn't want to break it by not using it as it was intended) and we had tea that way.

I grew up in Australia, where every home I've been in has had a kettle of some sort. Most electric. In nearly every country I've visited, kettles are the norm. So until we discovered the lack of kettles in the USA, I would have ubiquitously associated kettles with developed countries. Now I know better :) But it was certainly a strange thing to discover! Here in Singapore, we have a super fancy kettle which boils water in four seconds flat. It's unreasonably fun to use.