Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 17679 times)

o_gal

Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »
In the US and possibly Canada and Mexico, there is an alternative that I haven't seen mentioned yet, the Hot Shot: http://www.target.com/p/sunbeam-hot-shot-hot-water-dispenser-6131/-/A-10210654

It heats up 16oz of water faster then boiling or a microwave. It doesn't keep the water hot - you put in what you need, it heats it up, you dispense it, and you're done.

They were first introduced in the US in the 1970's and my parents got one of the first ones. Then in the 80's, Sunbeam discontinued them, but still made them for the Mexican market. People were buying them down there and bringing them back to either give to friends or sell. Then Sunbeam re-introduced them sometime in the 90's. They make a great Christmas gift for a gift exchange - if I bring one in, it's usually stolen many times :-)

Teenyweeny

« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2013, 05:33:50 AM »
So it's basically the same as a cheap kettle, except it can't do as much water? This is the kettle I have http://direct.asda.com/Smart-Price-1.7L-Kettle---White/001571484,default,pd.html. Costs the equivalent of $8, doesn't keep the water hot, just heats it and turns off. I'd say it heats a full kettle (1.7l, or almost 60 oz) in under 5 mins.

Of course, most mornings I only put in enough for me to have a cup of tea. By the time I've poured milk on my cereal, it's done.

You will pry my kettle from my cold dead hands.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »
I have an electric kettle. I use it every morning for my french press.

o_gal

« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2013, 09:11:04 AM »
So it's basically the same as a cheap kettle, except it can't do as much water? This is the kettle I have http://direct.asda.com/Smart-Price-1.7L-Kettle---White/001571484,default,pd.html. Costs the equivalent of $8, doesn't keep the water hot, just heats it and turns off. I'd say it heats a full kettle (1.7l, or almost 60 oz) in under 5 mins.

Of course, most mornings I only put in enough for me to have a cup of tea. By the time I've poured milk on my cereal, it's done.

It looks different, because your's has a handle and the Hot Shot doesn't, but yes they are about the same. The Hot Shot is made to sit on your counter/bench and you put the cup under it. Mine heats up a mug full of water in about 30 seconds.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »

Amen, sister.   ;D

I kept my little 4 cup kettle that I had in university that now travels with me when I'm going to be staying in a hotel.  I'm a snob; I only like making my tea with boiling water.  'Hot' water doesn't do it for me.  And the last time I used 'hot' water?  All I could taste was coffee.  The caterer didn't use a designated carafe for the hot water; it was one that had previously held coffee.  It was absolutely disgusting.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
I'm a snob; I only like making my tea with boiling water.  'Hot' water doesn't do it for me.  And the last time I used 'hot' water?  All I could taste was coffee.  The caterer didn't use a designated carafe for the hot water; it was one that had previously held coffee.  It was absolutely disgusting.
I don't think you're a snob.  Tea is supposed to be made by pouring boiling water over the leaves.  The water has to be hot enough to release the essential oils, etc.  I'll drink my tea hot, cold, luke warm, but spare me tepid tea with an overlay of burnt coffee.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »
I always make my tea with boiling water If I want iced tea I will add cold water or ice after it steeps.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2013, 10:00:45 PM »
A Brit living in Kiwiland.  A kettle is a must in our house.  When we first came here, Kiwi's used Jugs, which were electric kettle that instead of being round and squat were long and thin.  We got my father in law to send us a kettle from England almost 35 years ago which is still going strong.  I use it for tea, cooking, sterilising things in the kitchen, great for feeding bottles, play dough, and tie dying (not in the kettle though).  Now in the shops kettles are as common as jugs.  I want one of those clear ones with blue lights, but we are keeping with our old one, to see how long it lasts.

nayberry

« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
How much tea do people drink per day?  I'm on about 3 or 4 cups, on average.

3-4 large cups of tea on average for me.

I'll drink a ton in the winter, and none whatsoever in the summer. For some reason I can't stand cold (iced) tea, and really don't want a hot drink when it's 80-something outside.

on cold days when i'm home i have about 10-12 cups a day, and yes i'm widdling all day too!!

on hotter days i cut back to 6-7 and have cordial too :) 

Caterers and large offices tend to have things like this:

that is my heaven!  had one at an old job and it was great, so long as the first person in turned it on!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2013, 05:55:09 PM »
I have a stove top stainless steel whistling kettle, we use it every day to make coffee. We use a manual drip cone and carafe or a French press depending on the day.

I don't know anyone in real life that has an electric kettle and I have friends from all over the world!

katycoo

« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »
that is my heaven!  had one at an old job and it was great, so long as the first person in turned it on!

Most offices here have big electrical urns - similar to the pic but wall mounted, plumbed so always have water, and permanently on so water is always ready to go.

Either like this:

Or like this:

This system has chilled water as well as boiling.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »
I found that the "coffee urn" (see picture by RingTailedLemur) does not get the water hot enough to make either coffee or tea.  The office I worked in before my present position had a big coffee urn which was used to heat water, never to make coffee, so the water did not have that off taste from the coffee oils/residue.  I had a 1 cup Melitta drip coffee maker.  The coffee tasted weak unless I put the "hot" water in the microwave for another minute to minute & a half to bring it to a boil, then poured it over the ground coffee.  The "hot" setting on a coffee urn is just hot enough to keep the coffee warm, not boiling hot.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

katycoo

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
I found that the "coffee urn" (see picture by RingTailedLemur) does not get the water hot enough to make either coffee or tea.  The office I worked in before my present position had a big coffee urn which was used to heat water, never to make coffee, so the water did not have that off taste from the coffee oils/residue.  I had a 1 cup Melitta drip coffee maker.  The coffee tasted weak unless I put the "hot" water in the microwave for another minute to minute & a half to bring it to a boil, then poured it over the ground coffee.  The "hot" setting on a coffee urn is just hot enough to keep the coffee warm, not boiling hot.

I wonder if that was the particular brand used?  Or perhaps some kind of local law as the maximum temp it can heat to.  I've not ever found that with the ones here.
Also, I'venever ever seen them used for premade coffee - only water. You add your coffee or tea as per choice.  That said, IME instant coffee here is far better than in the USA.  Still not as good as fresh but very drinkable.

magicdomino

« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
All right, electric kettle people, you have semi-converted me.  I timed 20 ounces of water in the kettle.  My microwave at home takes 5 minutes, 45 seconds to reach a roiling boil.  Kettle was 2 minutes and 30 seconds.  The nuclear-powered microwave at the office is much faster, but I think the electric kettle would give even it a good race.

Library Dragon

« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
Alright, when I saw an electric kettle in a film or on TV I would just  ::) and think how silly.  I use my iced tea infuser and was finding that I was having to heat up multiple measuring cups of water to fill it.  It was taking forever and I want it done immediately! 

So, I was inspired by this conversation to buy a 1 ltr Tfal (I like that it has a temperature control for my teas that don't do well with boiling water).  Well I am now  :-[ by my previous opinion.  The electric kettle is a marvelous invention!  I am now a convert.  Thank you all for helping me to see the error of my ways. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter