Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 20388 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:28 PM »
The only person I know of who owns a kettle is my grandmother (just the stovetop kind, not an electric one), and I've never seen her use it.  Neither my DH or I drink coffee or tea (I usually drink water or milk; even when it's -17 degrees out, I want cold water!), so it wouldn't be much use to us.  For those who do drink hot liquids, I can see where it would be a great thing to have!

Margo

« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
It's also handy for other things - I find it is quicker to boil water in the kettle than on the hob, so if I am cooking rice, or somthing else where you start with boiling water, I will boil it in the kettle and then pour into the saucepan, for instance.

I have to admit, I find it hard to imagine having a kitchen with no kettle. Maybe it's because we are a nation of tea-drinkers that we see it as so essential!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2013, 03:30:35 PM »

I have to admit, I find it hard to imagine having a kitchen with no kettle. Maybe it's because we are a nation of tea-drinkers that we see it as so essential!

Yup it's part of the lifestyle.

Tea in the morning.
Tea while working.
Tea for an afternoon break.
Tea to warm up after a walk in the cold.
Tea when snuggling up with a book.

Oh, someone's at the door?  Put the kettle on!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »

Tea in the morning.
Tea while working.

You know one of the things I like about tea, is it slows you down a little. It takes thought to brew a nice cup and requires a bit of patience. And for some reason brewing and serving a pot seems a little more elegant. But maybe it's because we don't drink it as often.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2013, 05:55:48 PM »

Tea in the morning.
Tea while working.

I'm not British, but this is me to a T. Obviously I need to move to where my people are

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2013, 11:31:55 PM »
U.S. here. I have a stovetop kettle and an electric stove. I have no need for an electric kettle. In college, when we were forbidden to have any cooking devices other than those designed for heating water, I had an electric pot (I didn't call it a kettle because it was more coffee-pot shaped), and my roommate had a thing you immersed in your cup of water to heat it. But since I no longer live in a dorm, I've found the stovetop kettle to be all I need to heat water for tea/instant coffee/hot chocolate. It really doesn't take that long -- only a minute or two.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

perpetua

« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2013, 03:04:39 AM »

Tea in the morning.
Tea while working.

I'm not British, but this is me to a T. Obviously I need to move to where my people are

*nods* - Come to the dark side. We have excellent biscuits!

Another Sarah

« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2013, 08:54:12 AM »
This is quite shameful to admit but this thread has completely blown my mind.

I didn't realise how much of our national identity was caught up with drinking tea and I am genuinely shocked at myself that I cannot imagine a kitchen without a kettle in it!

America has never seemed so far away before...

betty

« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2014, 09:03:21 AM »
I'm in the US, and I drink tea. No electric kettle here: I use a regular tea kettle on the stove. It takes a few minutes to come to a boil, during which time I usually empty the dishwasher or fill it up again.

I'd get my tea faster with an electric kettle, but my kitchen would be a mess!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2014, 09:46:42 AM »
I sure do.  It's cold in Utah in the winter. 

Margo

« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
Do those of you who don't have electric kettles have stove-top ones? Or no kettle at all?

I know a few people who don't routinely use an electric kettle (mostly people who have Agas, I think)

Jones

« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
I have a stove-top one. Yes, it gets very cold in Utah in the winter!

alkira6

« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2014, 10:38:15 AM »
I lived in Wales for a while and became accustomed to having an electric kettle.  When I first returned to the US the first thing I bought was a hot pot (kind of a cheap kettle knockoff). I currently have an electric kettle with a snap off base so that the kettle can be used elsewhere without dragging a cord.  My dream is to have a hot water dispenser installed in the kitchen, as I need boiling water constantly when canning.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2014, 02:07:07 PM »
I have both.  I tend to use the stove top one more often because I like to wander off.  The electric one travels with me and also get used on Stay inside and read days.  I make a big pot of loose tea, and just keep resteeping the leaves

katycoo

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »
I have both.  I tend to use the stove top one more often because I like to wander off

I'm confused - why does this affect your choice in kettle?