Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 17890 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
I have both.  I tend to use the stove top one more often because I like to wander off

I'm confused - why does this affect your choice in kettle?

My electric kettle does not whistle or make noise to let me know it's done.  I have run back into the kitchen at the smell of burning metal.

My stove top kettle sounds like a train whistle and can be heard 3 blocks away

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »
Canadian in the US with an electric kettle. I also miss the electrical outlet on stoves in Canada.  I still sometimes try to plug my kettle into my stove and remember no outlet.   

Hubby bought me a new kettlen for Christmas that boils to temp diff types of tea.  Green tea burns with reg boiled water. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:40:58 PM by sparksals »

katycoo

« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »
I have both.  I tend to use the stove top one more often because I like to wander off

My electric kettle does not whistle or make noise to let me know it's done.  I have run back into the kitchen at the smell of burning metal.

Ahh.  Most electric kettles here switch off automatically when they reach a roaring boil.  Even the really really cheap ones.

Another Sarah

« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2014, 05:33:02 AM »

Ahh.  Most electric kettles here switch off automatically when they reach a roaring boil.  Even the really really cheap ones.

I could be wrong on this, but I think the automatic cutoff is required by UK law - I seem to remember it coming in when I was about six or seven after a spate of melting kettle incidents in the late 80s/early 90s

PastryGoddess

« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2014, 06:22:39 AM »
yeah, I thought mine had an automatic cutoff as well, but it doesn't.  I don't mind waiting around for it, but I get easily distracted by shiny things or work.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2014, 06:25:03 AM »

I have to admit, I find it hard to imagine having a kitchen with no kettle. Maybe it's because we are a nation of tea-drinkers that we see it as so essential!

Yup it's part of the lifestyle.

Tea in the morning.
Tea while working.
Tea for an afternoon break.
Tea to warm up after a walk in the cold.
Tea when snuggling up with a book.

Oh, someone's at the door?  Put the kettle on!

I'm not British, but this is me to a T. Obviously I need to move to where my people are

I see what you did there! :-*
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2014, 06:44:15 AM »

I could be wrong on this, but I think the automatic cutoff is required by UK law - I seem to remember it coming in when I was about six or seven after a spate of melting kettle incidents in the late 80s/early 90s

Wow, yeah the UK ones switch themselves off! No wonder some people don't get the appeal, if they've only seen the other kind!

veryfluffy

« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
A friend of mine just redid her kitchen, and was talking about getting a beautiful new kettle to use on top of her new Aga. I told her she is too easily distracted for that, and she is going to have to stick with an electric one, that turns itself off.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2014, 09:13:10 AM »
I just cannot mentally "see" a kitchen without a kettle.  I'd be lost without ours!  ;D
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2014, 12:59:52 AM »
A friend of mine just redid her kitchen, and was talking about getting a beautiful new kettle to use on top of her new Aga. I told her she is too easily distracted for that, and she is going to have to stick with an electric one, that turns itself off.

Jealous of her AGA.  Saw for first time in England in Oct and want one!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
I'm enjoying the thread but, does it seem odd to anyone else that a thread on an electric kettle has reached 144 posts?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2014, 07:05:15 PM »
I just found an electric kettle at Walmart with an automatic shutoff.  I bought 4 of them

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
I just found an electric kettle at Walmart with an automatic shutoff.  I bought 4 of them

I was just home in Canada and three of my friends just bought the same Cuisinart Perfect Temp Kettle I got for Xmas that is great for different types of tea since each tea needs a different temperature.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-perfectemp-stainless-steel-electric-kettle/1017391690?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_coffeetea_&gclid=CI7u0aTuhbwCFa4-MgodH1AA0A

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »
I'm enjoying the thread but, does it seem odd to anyone else that a thread on an electric kettle has reached 144 posts?

Nope. It's the quirky, non-controversial, amusing threads that become my favourites, and usually nobody minds if they wander a bit. :)

An electric kettle is on my mental list of "things that are essential in a new house -buy/unpack these FIRST", along with at least two mugs and caffeine-making supplies, basic cleaning gear, etc. I'm also seriously tempted by those variable-temperature ones, because I'm developing into... okay, not a tea snob exactly, but a tea enthusiast at least. If only they weren't so expensive!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2014, 11:06:59 AM »

Nope. It's the quirky, non-controversial, amusing threads that become my favourites, and usually nobody minds if they wander a bit. :)

An electric kettle is on my mental list of "things that are essential in a new house -buy/unpack these FIRST", along with at least two mugs and caffeine-making supplies, basic cleaning gear, etc. I'm also seriously tempted by those variable-temperature ones, because I'm developing into... okay, not a tea snob exactly, but a tea enthusiast at least. If only they weren't so expensive!

I love my variable temp kettle for my Steeped Tea!  Do you have tea stores in Australia?