Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 19726 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2014, 12:30:02 AM »
Well, I tried letting the water cool a little bit after boiling, but I got busy, left it too long, and now it tastes more like paper than green tea.  :P 

I need a food thermometer for my kitchen (the one my mother passed down to me finally died) so I think I'll get 2 so I can keep one in my office where I drink most of my tea.  I drink all the "teas" mentioned: White, green, oolong, black, herbal, & fruit tisanes.  I just noticed that the Tazo tea bags have the water temperature and steeping times printed on the tea bags.  I don't want to say how long I've been drinking them and not following the directions.  :-[

A variable temp kettle should solve that problem.  ;)
Yes, it would  ;)

I bet the food thermometer is cheaper & takes less space ;D

Haha! Touche!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2014, 12:32:43 AM »
Well, I tried letting the water cool a little bit after boiling, but I got busy, left it too long, and now it tastes more like paper than green tea.  :P 

I need a food thermometer for my kitchen (the one my mother passed down to me finally died) so I think I'll get 2 so I can keep one in my office where I drink most of my tea.  I drink all the "teas" mentioned: White, green, oolong, black, herbal, & fruit tisanes.  I just noticed that the Tazo tea bags have the water temperature and steeping times printed on the tea bags.  I don't want to say how long I've been drinking them and not following the directions.  :-[

A variable temp kettle should solve that problem.  ;)
Yes, it would  ;)

I bet the food thermometer is cheaper & takes less space ;D

Oh yeah, it is.

But for anyone who'd like a variable temperature and don't want to spend the money on the cuisinart(sparksals) or breville(mine), Hamilton Beach makes on that is about half their prices.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-40996-Programmable-1-7-Liter/dp/B0083I7THI/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Wow! That is sleek!  I may have to get that for my Tea Parties so I don't have to lug my Cuisinart.  I like how it is programmable and has a timer to preset it to boil!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2014, 12:39:37 AM »
guys...I just discovered electric kettles with automatic shutoff and brought 4 of them.  Now I'm going to "have" to go out and buy a variable temp kettle. 

y'all are not helping ;)

Why do you need 4 kettles?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
guys...I just discovered electric kettles with automatic shutoff and brought 4 of them.  Now I'm going to "have" to go out and buy a variable temp kettle. 

y'all are not helping ;)

I drink a lot of tea and I have a kettle at my job and one at home and one for backup.  Then I brought one for my mother, but she didn't want it.  So I have 4 of them.

Also they were on sale for $15 each. 

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2014, 12:52:54 AM »

I can't understand why people wouldn't have an electric kettle, but as an Aussie, I grew up with them.

In the interest of research though, I consulted my grandmother, who will be 105 this year. Aside from being firmly convinced that they don't make 'em like that anymore, she said that everyone she knew used electric kettles rather than stoves after electric supplies became available because it was cleaner in the kitchen than the wood stoves. Where she lives, gas supply wasn't available until well after the electric supply was installed.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

sunnygirl

« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2014, 05:58:04 AM »
That's it, I am going to have to buy a variable temperature kettle.
*Goes to check JohnLewis.com*

bloo

« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »
I would never even have considered any kind of kettle, except last year we started using French pressed coffee. we got rid of our percolator and electric coffee makers. So we have a 2-quart kettle, but that wasn't enough so then why I bought a 7qt stove top kettle. it turns out when I have company a lot of my girlfriends love to drink hot tea. So I keep a selection of teas and keep the 7 quart pot on the stove so they can pick out whatever they want.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
This is a very expensive website for me. I keep reading about things here that I end buying. I just got a travel French press to have at work, thanks to this thread. We have an electric kettle here too, but the person who owns it is moving offices so I may have to buy one myself.

Stop posting about cool stuff that I am going to want to buy!!!

;D

ETA: I am in the US and had never seen a electric kettle before working in this office. The person who owns is German.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:33:34 AM by SamiHami »

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Vall

« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »
I agree.  Thanks to this thread, there is another item on my "I want that" list.  Last year, I got my first crock pot thanks to these threads.  An electric kettle will be next.  Then maybe a rice cooker but I don't know anything about them.

I really appreciate the recommendations.  DH does all of our cooking and I don't know the first thing about kitchen stuff to buy for him.  I want something nice because, well, he deserves it for all of the effort of cooking and cleaning.  It is much appreciated!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2014, 04:55:04 PM »
I agree.  Thanks to this thread, there is another item on my "I want that" list.  Last year, I got my first crock pot thanks to these threads.  An electric kettle will be next.  Then maybe a rice cooker but I don't know anything about them.

I really appreciate the recommendations.  DH does all of our cooking and I don't know the first thing about kitchen stuff to buy for him.  I want something nice because, well, he deserves it for all of the effort of cooking and cleaning.  It is much appreciated!

There's also the "Ooooh SHINY NEW* factor as well

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »

Rice cookers are glorious creations, and something I consider to be an essential kitchen appliance now. My husband is from SE Asia, and a rice cooker was the very first appliance he bought upon moving here. Neither of us have any idea how to cook rice on the stove (and when we try, it ends up being terrible). Since you can get a perfectly nice rice cooker for about $30, I see no reason not to own one. I don't eat much rice, but my husband would feel pretty bereft without it. And it helps that you can cook just about any variety of rice in them, not just white rice.

Bluenomi

« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2014, 12:36:59 AM »

Rice cookers are glorious creations, and something I consider to be an essential kitchen appliance now. My husband is from SE Asia, and a rice cooker was the very first appliance he bought upon moving here. Neither of us have any idea how to cook rice on the stove (and when we try, it ends up being terrible). Since you can get a perfectly nice rice cooker for about $30, I see no reason not to own one. I don't eat much rice, but my husband would feel pretty bereft without it. And it helps that you can cook just about any variety of rice in them, not just white rice.

I agree, they are awesome. I love using it for risotto, no stirring!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2014, 12:55:39 AM »

y'all are not helping ;)

I drink a lot of tea and I have a kettle at my job and one at home and one for backup.  Then I brought one for my mother, but she didn't want it.  So I have 4 of them.

Dang.  I need that reasoning to have 4 variable temps. 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2014, 03:30:40 AM »

y'all are not helping ;)

Dang.  I need that reasoning to have 4 variable temps. 

I'm pretty sure I sprained something in the process.  :P

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2014, 05:20:16 AM »
I am going to my local Tea Shop Of Awesome tomorrow. I will be buying tea. I will also be looking longingly at the variable-temp kettles and checking the price tags and hoping for a sale. ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"