Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 20297 times)

Bobbie

Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2014, 01:23:14 AM »
US here.  We have a Keurig and use the hot water on that for tea.  It can brew without a little cup thingy (yes this is the technical term) for hot water.  Much like many Australians and British cannot image living without a kettle, I cannot live without a very good rice cooker.  I am half Japanese and the rice cooker has to be from Japan (meaning that my mom sends me one from Hawaii).  Costco has a very nice 5.5 cup that is about $70-80.  And much like tea prep, rice prep is not just counting cups and adding water.  You must wash the rice till the water is clear.  Its the way it has to be lol.
What type of strainer do you use to wash rice?

This is the way I was taught by my mom and Oba-chan (aunt).  Put the rice into the pot.  Fill with water and pour out using your hand as a strainer.  After most of the water is poured out, "beat" in a stirring motion and count at least 50 turns.  Alternate between filling/straining and the beating till the water runs clear.  Before I used the markings on the side of the pot to fill with the proper amount of water, I used my finger to measure the water level.  Japanese are very serious about rice....very, just trust me on this...lol.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:27:58 AM by Bobbie »

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2014, 05:20:51 AM »
UK. I'm astounded to learn that people can actually survive without an electric kettle. Astounded.

Me too.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2014, 05:43:30 AM »
US here.  We have a Keurig and use the hot water on that for tea.  It can brew without a little cup thingy (yes this is the technical term) for hot water.  Much like many Australians and British cannot image living without a kettle, I cannot live without a very good rice cooker.  I am half Japanese and the rice cooker has to be from Japan (meaning that my mom sends me one from Hawaii).  Costco has a very nice 5.5 cup that is about $70-80.  And much like tea prep, rice prep is not just counting cups and adding water.  You must wash the rice till the water is clear.  Its the way it has to be lol.

This is the way I was taught by my mom and Oba-chan (aunt).  Put the rice into the pot.  Fill with water and pour out using your hand as a strainer.  After most of the water is poured out, "beat" in a stirring motion and count at least 50 turns.  Alternate between filling/straining and the beating till the water runs clear.  Before I used the markings on the side of the pot to fill with the proper amount of water, I used my finger to measure the water level.  Japanese are very serious about rice....very, just trust me on this...lol.

I always wash rice (no asian heritage that I know of), it cooks much better. Funnily enough, my Indian friend saw me washing rice and wondered why I would bother in the UK. He said he would do it at home, because the rice might legitimately be dirty (bits of grit in it, etc), but he wasn't thinking about washing off excess starch. Having said that, he also asked me why I was washing fruit and veg, as that wasn't dirty either (I had to explain to him about pesticides).

Mind you, I get the impression that he was very coddled before he moved here. He told me his mum packs food in his case every time he's coming back to the UK, so it's possible that she does wash rice and fresh produce, and he just has no idea. In fact, that's more than likely.  ::)

Redsoil

« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2014, 07:37:47 AM »
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »
Hey Mel - try the Good Guys!

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/Sunbeam_Temperature_Glass_Kettle_KE9450

...SWEET. And $2 delivery! SOLD! ;D 8)

Thank you! Methinks I shall be snaffling this tomorrow. :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Bobbie

« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »

I always wash rice (no asian heritage that I know of), it cooks much better. Funnily enough, my Indian friend saw me washing rice and wondered why I would bother in the UK. He said he would do it at home, because the rice might legitimately be dirty (bits of grit in it, etc), but he wasn't thinking about washing off excess starch. Having said that, he also asked me why I was washing fruit and veg, as that wasn't dirty either (I had to explain to him about pesticides).

Mind you, I get the impression that he was very coddled before he moved here. He told me his mum packs food in his case every time he's coming back to the UK, so it's possible that she does wash rice and fresh produce, and he just has no idea. In fact, that's more than likely.  ::)

You are right the rice does taste a lot better. I have to explain to people the difference in rice (medium grain="sticky"  long grain=not sticky) a lot.  Japanese use med grain, Chinese use long grain.  That's why when you make fried rice use long grain.  Sushi is med grain it sticky.

Vall

« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2014, 09:20:07 PM »
I'm interested in rice and rice cookers but don't want to hijack this thread.  So I started a new thread on rice cookers.
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=132194.0

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »
Hey Mel - try the Good Guys!

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/Sunbeam_Temperature_Glass_Kettle_KE9450

...SWEET. And $2 delivery! SOLD! ;D 8)

Thank you! Methinks I shall be snaffling this tomorrow. :-*

Guess what arrived yesterdaaaaay~! 8)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »
If you don't have a kettle, how do you make cup of soup from a packet? Kettle is the easiest way, just pour it in.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »
Okay, I broke down and bought an electric kettle. I got a small inexpensive one to keep at the office. It arrived on Tuesday and I can tell you that my English coworker was overjoyed! I must say I am amazed how quickly it boils water. It's very impressive. I also bought a small travel French press (again, because of this thread!) so I'll be making good use of the kettle, I'm sure. I may have to buy one for home, as well...

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »
If you don't have a kettle, how do you make cup of soup from a packet? Kettle is the easiest way, just pour it in.

Are you talking about stuff like ramen? Because I just crush it up into a bowl, put water in the bowl, and microwave it for 3.5 minutes.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »
No, I mean cup-a-soup. Instant soup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup-a-Soup

And I know you have it there, I saw Justin Timberlake dressed up as one once on SNL.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:01:58 PM by Katana_Geldar »

katycoo

« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »
No, I mean cup-a-soup. Instant soup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup-a-Soup

And I know you have it there, I saw Justin Timberlake dressed up as one once on SNL.

Probably the same way - cold water + microwave. 

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, but my brain isn't happy with the idea.  It seems so wrong.  Actually 'foreign' is probably a better word!

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »

Are you talking about stuff like ramen? Because I just crush it up into a bowl, put water in the bowl, and microwave it for 3.5 minutes.

In college, I didn't have a microwave. I put my pasta in the coffeepot and just ran my coffeemaker without coffee grounds or a filter. It caused all my pasta to be al dente. After 4 years of this, I forgot what pasta was supposed to be like and when I had it again elsewhere, I would chuckle and say "oh yeah. This is how soft pasta noodles are supposed to be!"

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #224 on: February 06, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »

You boil water and pour it in.  Or like others have said you put it in the microwave with water and heat it up.