Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 19658 times)

lowspark

Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2014, 08:37:32 AM »
I've never had a kettle. Just boiled water on the stove. No biggie. I do have gas so maybe that makes a difference in speed.

However, several years ago I had my kitchen remodeled and put in one of those instant hot water dispensers. I love that thing. It constantly dispenses hot water (just under boiling) with no intervention from me. Hot water always available.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/insinkerator-f-gn2215-instant-hot-water-dispenser-single-handle-with-5-year-in-home-warranty-less-tank/p1160053?source=gg-gba-pla_1160053____12480266723&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!38635774763!g!!12480266723&gclid=CP__lNrFwrwCFSFo7Aodu0wA5Q

I don't drink a whole lot of tea except in the winter if I need to warm up. But I do use it to make iced tea (just add ice after the tea is done steeping). I also use it to clean things when I need ultra hot water.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
I've never had a kettle. Just boiled water on the stove. No biggie. I do have gas so maybe that makes a difference in speed.

However, several years ago I had my kitchen remodeled and put in one of those instant hot water dispensers. I love that thing. It constantly dispenses hot water (just under boiling) with no intervention from me. Hot water always available.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/insinkerator-f-gn2215-instant-hot-water-dispenser-single-handle-with-5-year-in-home-warranty-less-tank/p1160053?source=gg-gba-pla_1160053____12480266723&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!38635774763!g!!12480266723&gclid=CP__lNrFwrwCFSFo7Aodu0wA5Q

I don't drink a whole lot of tea except in the winter if I need to warm up. But I do use it to make iced tea (just add ice after the tea is done steeping). I also use it to clean things when I need ultra hot water.

Nope, gas is slower at getting things to a boil than electric. When I moved from electric to gas I had to develop more patience and learn to get my water on earlier when planning to cook water. I didn't learn this "fun" fact till after the stove was installed.

lowspark

« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »
Interesting. I have very little experience cooking with electric so I know very little about it. The house I'm in now had an electric cooktop when we first moved in. I burned everything for the first few months till I got that thing replaced with a gas one.  ???

jmarvellous

« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2014, 04:43:33 PM »
I haven't actually seen a marked difference between gas and ordinary electric, though my glass-topped stove was definitely a bit faster than either.

I prefer gas all around, actually.

bloo

« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »

Nope, gas is slower at getting things to a boil than electric. When I moved from electric to gas I had to develop more patience and learn to get my water on earlier when planning to cook water. I didn't learn this "fun" fact till after the stove was installed.

Sounds like you two might be interested in a Simplex Heritage gas tea kettle.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-174012/?affsrcid=Aff0001&CAWELAID=120120820000002358&cagpspn=pla

It's pretty pricey but maybe it's cheaper if you live in England since that's where it's made but it touts itself as 25% faster than other kettles on a gas stove and this kettle is exclusively for gas stoves.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2014, 07:27:52 PM »
Interesting. I have very little experience cooking with electric so I know very little about it. The house I'm in now had an electric cooktop when we first moved in. I burned everything for the first few months till I got that thing replaced with a gas one.  ???

I've heard people going from gas to electric have a terrible time because the heat on an electric doesn't reduce as fast so lots more opportunities to burn stuff. I learned to cook on an electric. (I remember the realtor showing us the home my parents bought when I was 7 in 1973and saying very proudly "It's a fully electric home!") I got used to turning down the burner a lot well in advance of needing the heat to go down.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2014, 01:17:46 AM »
I don't know that gas heats up the contents of a pan all that much faster than electric does (though it certainly seems to). But Hmmmmm is right that it definitely cools off way faster. I've had to get myself into the habit of actually switching burners when I need to remove a pan from the heat, now that I have an electric stove.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2014, 01:33:54 AM »
It is harder to tell which hot plate is on with electric if you're not careful. I've seen a few exploded eggs and plates for people who make that mistake.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #248 on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »
Mere mention of AGA makes me all warm and fuzzy. 

lowspark

« Reply #249 on: February 12, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »

I've heard people going from gas to electric have a terrible time because the heat on an electric doesn't reduce as fast so lots more opportunities to burn stuff. I learned to cook on an electric. (I remember the realtor showing us the home my parents bought when I was 7 in 1973and saying very proudly "It's a fully electric home!") I got used to turning down the burner a lot well in advance of needing the heat to go down.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was sort of being forced to relearn how to cook and I didn't want to. I love my gas cooktop. :)

lowspark

« Reply #250 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »

Sounds like you two might be interested in a Simplex Heritage gas tea kettle.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-174012/?affsrcid=Aff0001&CAWELAID=120120820000002358&cagpspn=pla

It's pretty pricey but maybe it's cheaper if you live in England since that's where it's made but it touts itself as 25% faster than other kettles on a gas stove and this kettle is exclusively for gas stoves.

Like I said, I have an instant hot water dispenser which is connected to the water line and electricity so I always have hot water at the touch of a faucet handle. Don't need a kettle. :)

Lynnv

« Reply #251 on: February 12, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »

My first cooking experience was on gas (propane-we were out in the boonies).  20+ years later of cooking on electric and I still want to go back to cooking on gas for exactly that reason.  I have learned to work around it, but I would still go back to a gas cook top in a heartbeat.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

bridalviolet

« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »
My husband and I are big tea-drinkers--neither of us cares for coffee, unusual maybe in America. We always boiled a kettle on our stove for our tea, but one vacation changed all that.
We were going on an extended road trip from Kansas to the East Coast and back, pulling our little travel trailer behind our truck. The second day out, just east of St. Louis, the truck's transmission blew (!) and, long story short, we wound up in a motel in St. Louis for the next six days while it got fixed. I said, "All right, I'm fine with a motel for the next week, but I MUST have proper tea to survive." So we went to the nearest BBB, got an electric kettle and used it in the motel room. It was so handy, boiled water so quickly and efficiently, that we took it back home and have used nothing else since. At least one good thing came out of the disaster!
Also, if your transmission blows up and you're stuck against your will in some random city for a week, St. Louis is the place. We got to know it very well and it's a super cool place!

veryfluffy

« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2014, 05:53:26 PM »
I just realised that in the UK an electric kettle is going to boil almost twice as fast as one in the US, due to the difference in voltage.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »
I just realised that in the UK an electric kettle is going to boil almost twice as fast as one in the US, due to the difference in voltage.
Yup. US is 120 volts, UK is 230 and Australia is 240. That's why the English kettle on the American cruise ship I was on needed a European power point.

Kettles are also use more power, the average kettle is 2800W. That sort of power usage just isn't possible in a US kitchen. I just checked ours, it's lowest range is 2300W. The average US kettle is 1500W.

http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2012/04/16/why-kettles-boil-slowly-in-the-us/

Here's something else fun about tea.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/TeaAndTeaCulture
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:13:58 PM by Katana_Geldar »