Author Topic: Toasters  (Read 2812 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Toasters
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »
The first appliance we bought when moving two years ago was a toaster oven. We use it for baking potatoes, making cookies, toast and homemade indoor s'mores. Divine!

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »
We have a toaster oven.  I have never had a pop-up type toaster.  I would rather live without a microwave, than live without my toaster oven!

mandycorn

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 06:24:20 PM »
I have a two slice pop-up toaster that I use at least once a day (I have an english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast everyday) and sometimes I make toast for sandwiches at lunch or as a side dish with dinner. If I have something bready that I've defrosted in the microwave, like waffles or hot dog buns, I'll toss it on top of the toaster and turn it on to crisp it up after the microwaving.

My parents have a wonderful little four slice toaster that they got as a wedding present 33 years ago and it's still doing okay. My dad has taken it completely apart to fix twice, but they can't replace it because they can't find another four slice in the same configuration. It has all four slices lined up parallel to each other | | | | and all of the newer four slice toasters my mom can find double up == so they take up too much room on the kitchen counter.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

jilly

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
I have a two slice pop-up toaster that I use at least once a day (I have an english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast everyday) and sometimes I make toast for sandwiches at lunch or as a side dish with dinner. If I have something bready that I've defrosted in the microwave, like waffles or hot dog buns, I'll toss it on top of the toaster and turn it on to crisp it up after the microwaving.

My parents have a wonderful little four slice toaster that they got as a wedding present 33 years ago and it's still doing okay. My dad has taken it completely apart to fix twice, but they can't replace it because they can't find another four slice in the same configuration. It has all four slices lined up parallel to each other | | | | and all of the newer four slice toasters my mom can find double up == so they take up too much room on the kitchen counter.

like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/242001-Slice-Toaster-Variable-Width/dp/B00DP44JW8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1378506968&sr=8-6&keywords=four+slot+toaster

NyaChan

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
I have a toaster oven.  Used to have the toaster oven/bread maker, but I still preferred that one year where I had a genuine pop up toaster.  Somehow, it just adds to the experience of making toast :)

Kaypeep

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »
Funny toaster story:
My friend David had a Black and Decker toaster oven for years.  YEARS.  It showed it's age, and ocassionally it would set the food inside on fire.  But David kept it, explaining that "it still works just fine!"  Well, years later he bought a house, and during a bad storm his neighbor's tree came down on his house, destroying one whole side. He lost the kitchen, mud room, and upstairs a bedroom and bath.  So a year later he invites everyone over to see the new renovated wing of his house.  State of the art master bathroom, new big bedroom.  New, state of the art kitchen with modern appliances, granite countertops, and... you guessed it, that darn old fire-hazard toaster oven!  His reasoning?  "It still works!"   ::)

BigBadBetty

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »
I have a larger toaster oven. I usually use it instead of my regular oven. It heats up quickly. I am usually only cooking for one or two. My regular oven takes forever to heat up. I have a small kitchen so I don't have a separate toaster.

Lindee

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »
I have an amazing and beautiful white DeLonghi 4 slice retro looking toaster with two separate settings to make perfect toast, lightly done for me, incinerated for DH, but we stopped eating wheat or sugar earlier this year so toast is a thing of the past. The bread maker isn't getting any use either. On the plus side I'm 16 kgs lighter so far, feel so much better and I've even stopped craving cake.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 01:40:02 AM »
I make toast almost every day.  I've never had a toaster oven though.  Used one at work, but never brought one for my house
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

ishka

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 06:23:15 AM »
We have a toaster (it matches our kettle   :))  The holes are wide enough to take good thick doorstops of bread so that we can have toast that is crunchy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside.

I found these excellent little reusable "paper" toaster bags that take two regular slices of bread so we can make toasted cheese sandwiches in the toaster which is a real convenience.

We don't use it as much as we used to as we've cut down on bread consumption but it still gets used at least a couple of times a week.

dawnfire

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 07:41:03 AM »
I have a toaster. It's used t least once daily. It a 4 slice toaster, which cooks the toast 2 at a time.

the most fun toaster was a sunbeam automatic toaster as putting the toast in the toaster lowered the bread (http://www.toaster.org/t20.html ) without needing to press a lever.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 08:01:07 AM »
I'm an Australian and I have never stayed in a house that didn't have a pop-up toaster. I don't see many toaster ovens though.  I have a four slice "retro" toaster. It takes the cafe style raisin bread that I love, and crumpets for the kids. I don't make a lot of regular toast at the moment except to have with soup.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 08:16:45 AM »
I used to have a 4 slice toaster, but I gave it to a friend.  We just never used it. In 10 years, I might have used it 10 times.  If I want toast the badly, I'll make it in the oven.

I would love a toaster oven; however, they hate me.  I have had 3 catch on fire and known two people who've had full blown kitchen fires from malfunctioning ones, so there will be no toaster oven in my house.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

sunnygirl

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »
I really need a new toaster because mine keeps bursting into flame. Or possibly just to clean the old one really well.

Yes, several times a week - mainly with either marmite or baked beans.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »
the most fun toaster was a sunbeam automatic toaster as putting the toast in the toaster lowered the bread (http://www.toaster.org/t20.html ) without needing to press a lever.
Thanks for the link. That's my toaster. The toast not only lowers, but slowly rises up. No "pop."

I looked at mine to see what model it is. It's a T-35, made between 1958 and 1962. That means it's still fully functional, although over 50 years old. Not bad for appliance life.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data