Author Topic: Toasters  (Read 3577 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Toasters
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »
I have a very basic two-slice pop-up toaster. I hardly ever used to use it, but then I discovered that my lunchtime sandwiches taste so much better if the bread is toasted. And my favorite breakfast before a big run is toast, a toasted English muffin, or whole-wheat waffles with some peanut butter and a banana. So I use my toaster probably once a day, sometimes more than that.

scotcat60

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
I have a two slice pop up toaster, but it is rarely used. I do have a toasted sandwich maker, but i odn;t oftern use it. However, when my Mum was alive she had coeliac disease, and discovered that her gluten free bread tasted better toasted than not, so she used the snawich toaster every day.

A survey said that the sandwich maker is one of the most frequently bought and then never used kitchen appliances, as were bread makers.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
I live in a rental that came with a toaster oven. I love them and prefer them over pop-ups every time. I use it daily for reheating rolls, making toast, toasted cheese, reheating frozen apple turnovers (yummy!) and pizza.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
I love toast. I am eating peanut butter toast right now. :)

I also love toasted sandwiches, and prefer to reheat a lot of things in the toaster rather than the microwave. Anything that is bread-based (like pizza) or is meant to be crispy gets reheated in my toaster oven.

I haven't ever owned a pop-up toaster, though. My parents have always had a toaster oven, and it's the only type of toaster I've bought for myself.

crella

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:18 AM »
Years ago, DH decided he wanted a new toaster.  Not just any toaster, but a Dualit toaster.  At the time, it cost around $400.  My family thought we were nuts to spend $400?!!? ON A TOASTER?!? :o :o :o :o  It was the topic of conversation and gag gifts (including a spotlight and toaster-size red carpet) for years.  It still gets brought up from time to time.

That Dualit is still going strong after 20+ years.

I love their sense of humor!  :D :D :D

I have a toaster oven, because we like things like egg toast , cheese toast and pizza toast you can't of course make in a regular toaster.

Bluenomi

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 02:15:51 AM »
I'm an Australian and I have never stayed in a house that didn't have a pop-up toaster. I don't see many toaster ovens though.  I have a four slice "retro" toaster. It takes the cafe style raisin bread that I love, and crumpets for the kids. I don't make a lot of regular toast at the moment except to have with soup.

I agree, everyone has a toaster but toaster ovens are pretty rare. I love our shiny blue 4 slice toaster. It's gets a work out on weekends but we don't generally have time for toast on work days.

Leafy

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 05:51:16 AM »
I'm an Australian and I have never stayed in a house that didn't have a pop-up toaster. I don't see many toaster ovens though.  I have a four slice "retro" toaster. It takes the cafe style raisin bread that I love, and crumpets for the kids. I don't make a lot of regular toast at the moment except to have with soup.

I agree, everyone has a toaster but toaster ovens are pretty rare. I love our shiny blue 4 slice toaster. It's gets a work out on weekends but we don't generally have time for toast on work days.

I was about to say the same thing. Everyone I know has a toaster but toaster ovens are very rare in Australia. Every house or apartment (no matter how small) would have an actual oven. I've seen one toaster oven in my life (37yrs) and that has been at work. Only one person ever used it. Everyone else used the toaster or the sandwich press.

lowspark

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 12:05:19 PM »
Long long long ago, I had decided I didn't need a toaster because I just used my toaster oven. One day, I was visiting a friend and we were toasting bread and I was amazed at how quickly the bread toasted. My toaster oven took about three times as long.

So I went out and bought a toaster. I realized at some point that I used my toaster oven about once a year and my toaster all the time so I got rid of the toaster oven and never missed it.

DH & I both like our sandwich bread toasted and we also toast bagels & hamburger buns.

emwithme

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
I'm in the UK and had to google to see what a toaster oven was.  We don't really have them here. 

Our ovens do tend to have separate grills - in years gone by, these were at eye level but nowadays they tend to be below the hotplate/gas burners but above the main oven. 

DH and I don't currently have a toaster (well, we *do*, but it's in storage and hasn't made it out into this house as the kitchen surfaces are seriously limited - our microwave is actually sitting on top of the tumble drier, there's no room for it to be on an actual counter) so all toast is done under the grill, which is easier for me as he likes his toast very dark and I like barely-coloured-crispy-bread. 

katycoo

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
Daily.

I have either toast or a bagel or an english muffing or a crumpet for breakfast.  All use the toaster.

mandycorn

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »
I have a two slice pop-up toaster that I use at least once a day (I have an english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast everyday) and sometimes I make toast for sandwiches at lunch or as a side dish with dinner. If I have something bready that I've defrosted in the microwave, like waffles or hot dog buns, I'll toss it on top of the toaster and turn it on to crisp it up after the microwaving.

My parents have a wonderful little four slice toaster that they got as a wedding present 33 years ago and it's still doing okay. My dad has taken it completely apart to fix twice, but they can't replace it because they can't find another four slice in the same configuration. It has all four slices lined up parallel to each other | | | | and all of the newer four slice toasters my mom can find double up == so they take up too much room on the kitchen counter.

like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/242001-Slice-Toaster-Variable-Width/dp/B00DP44JW8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1378506968&sr=8-6&keywords=four+slot+toaster

That's the same configuration, but much cuter than theirs! I like it :D
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Bluenomi

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
I have a two slice pop-up toaster that I use at least once a day (I have an english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast everyday) and sometimes I make toast for sandwiches at lunch or as a side dish with dinner. If I have something bready that I've defrosted in the microwave, like waffles or hot dog buns, I'll toss it on top of the toaster and turn it on to crisp it up after the microwaving.

My parents have a wonderful little four slice toaster that they got as a wedding present 33 years ago and it's still doing okay. My dad has taken it completely apart to fix twice, but they can't replace it because they can't find another four slice in the same configuration. It has all four slices lined up parallel to each other | | | | and all of the newer four slice toasters my mom can find double up == so they take up too much room on the kitchen counter.

like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/242001-Slice-Toaster-Variable-Width/dp/B00DP44JW8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1378506968&sr=8-6&keywords=four+slot+toaster

That's the same configuration, but much cuter than theirs! I like it :D

That's my toaster!!! We have it is shiny blue, it's so pretty.

crella

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »
That's the cutest toaster I've ever seen!

Ereine

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »
I think that my apartment when I was studying abroad had a toaster oven but it looked so disgusting that I never used it. Other than that I've never seen them, they're possibly available in Finland somewhere but no one I know has one. I own a toaster but can't remember he last time I've used it. I got it partly with the idea of freezing slices of bread (I live alone and I couldn't eat the bread before it went bad) and defrosting them in the toaster as I don't have a microwave, which worked quite well but I've mostly stopped buying bread that can be toasted and eating the kind of bread that's delicious even when it's dry has made it pretty useless. I probably should try to get rid of it, it takes up quite a lot of space in the cabinet.

sunnygirl

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »
I don't think I've ever used a toaster oven. I used to have a toasted sandwich maker, but it was rubbish.