Author Topic: fundraisers - good, bad, and interesting  (Read 6422 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: fundraisers - good, bad, and interesting
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
The PTA of a local school has a good one.  They have an arrangement with a nearby B&N.  Several weekends a year, members stand outside the store handing out slips.  When paying for your purchase you give the slip to the cashier and 10 per cent of the price goes to the school. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
I've seen some interesting fund-raisers around my city. Often kids hold signs for their school or sports team and shout at cars for money, rattling their tin cans. But my favorite are the ones who work for it: a group of students will set up a drum line and play on the sidewalk. When done in high-traffic areas, I've seen them march into the street during red lights to perform for the cars. So long as they get out of the way by the time the green light comes, I enjoy the show. Also, I get a kick out of the little boys dressed up in suits who sell pie on the island in the middle of the street. Baked goods! Brought to your car door by well-dressed, polite children! What magic is this?

That would annoy me, even if they moved in time. Plus that would be a big traffic hazard out here; my area isn't known for drivers that are patient or watching what they're doing

daen

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2013, 09:00:39 PM »
Tie one on is a euphemism for drinking alcohol to excess - for a group like MADD, not something they should be advocating.

I had assumed that they were trying to reclaim/redeem the phrase, or imply that this is the only way one should "tie one on."

Unfortunately, trying to change or subvert the meaning of a popular expression doesn't seem to work very well. Either it happens naturally, without anyone starting a campaign to change it, or it doesn't happen at all.

katycoo

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2013, 11:51:25 PM »
Someone I know lost her mother to cancer a few years ago, so she and her musically-inclined friends do a variety show every year to raise money for research for that cancer. I've never attended but I'm told it's well-done and substantial, as well as genuine and emotional--a lot of the performers are similarly people who've lost someone to the cancer. So presumably the majority of the money taken in actually does go to some other program that supports the cancer research, as opposed to just paying for the group's expenses in putting on the show--I sometimes start to wonder, as fundraisers get fancier and fancier, how much money actually goes to whatever charity/group they're promoting.

If anything at all.

I recently hosted a fundraiser morning tea for the National Breast Cancer Foundation.  I was provided with a receipt book for people who donated cash.  There was no opportunity for me to recoup my expenses from this money - my expenses were my donation per se.  I didn't give directly to the charity but I paid for the whole event OOP to raise the money which was donated.  Got about $650 for them too.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2013, 07:55:45 AM »
Don't know how I forgot this--my parish's high school youth have a quarterly fundraiser where they serve breakfast after Mass (pancakes, sticky buns, breakfast meats, fruit, coffee, milk, juice).  Hugely popular.

z_squared82

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2013, 02:52:15 PM »
My favorite fundraiser: The 8th grade Girl Scout troops with my grade school had an annual rummage sale that took up the entire former church. I was very upset my troop declined to participate (we had a dance instead). I went and volunteered with the other troops. Itís now a baby/child specific rummage sale, and I donít think it does as well, if it's even still going on.

Most profitable fundraiser I can think of: The Boy Scout troops in our area are generally in charge of the fish frys during Lent. Since all the time is donated, and all the food is gotten at discount, the troops make bank. Iím fairly certain it covered the bulk of getting the boys to camp each summer, at least for my brotherís troop. And since I live in a predominantly Catholic area, there were enough people abstaining from meat on Fridays to sustain all the fish frys.

Most obnoxious fundraiser: My high school sold calendars. At $25 a pop (I think it was that much. It might have been more. And it appears theyíve discontinued that fundraiser as I can find no mention of it on the schoolís website). Sure, it came with the chance to win money, but it was still a crazy expensive calendar. And we were required to at least sell three.

redsfan

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »
The cow dump has been popular.  It's what it sounds like.  You buy a square on the field.  The cow is let out, and whatever square it decides to leave its mark on wins half of the money collected.  It's fairly popular in some rural districts. 

A good one around here is the professional stadiums.  They will allow booths to be staffed by volunteers, and they are paid a percentage of the proceeds (I think it was 9% when we did it).  It may not seem like a lot, but 9% of a $7 beer is .63 cents.  Multiply that times a lot of beers, and you can make some great money.  That one worked best when kids were given individual accounts (raise your own money, rather than everyone pitch in and pay for the group).  It seemed like more work in the beginning, but it was a lot easier when the money for a trip was due.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »
The cow dump has been popular.  It's what it sounds like.  You buy a square on the field.  The cow is let out, and whatever square it decides to leave its mark on wins half of the money collected.  It's fairly popular in some rural districts. 

Yeah, we call that Bessie Bingo around here. ;) It's actually the main fundraiser for, I think, Rotary--tickets are something like $25 each.
~Lynn2000

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2013, 06:26:33 PM »
Bessie Bingo sounds pretty funny to me!  ;D

I just remembered one... Shortly after the DC Sniper shootings had concluded, one of the local radio stations came up with a fundraiser. Listeners would call in and request a song, and donate money to get it played. If the station didn't have it in their library, the staff usually had it somewhere in the personal CDs they brought in for the occasion, and if it wasn't there, they'd let the listeners bring in the music to be played, so they had a theoretically limitless selection.

At one point, someone requested an unpopular song. So the station took donations to yank it.  ;D
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Girlie

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »
My favorite fundraiser is one that we often see by the schools in my area. The schools will set up arrangements with local businesses to be able to provide you with a year-long coupon. They're really good ones, too - free cheese dip with two entrees at the local Mexican restaurant, a free drink with any purchase at the local Taco Bell, a percentage off an oil change at a local auto repair shop - they are all (normally between 10 and fifteen total) printed on a plastic card about the size of a credit card, are local businesses, and the schools ask for about $10 for them. Since they last for a whole year and can be reused for that whole time, they're a really good deal. The schools benefit from the fundraiser, and the businesses benefit from the increase in patronage and the recognition they get for helping the students.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 12:22:13 AM »
I just remembered the "Kiss The Pig" contest my high school did as well. There a 4-5 teachers involved, each teacher had a jar in the office. Kids would put money in the jar over a short period of time (I think it was two weeks), and whichever teacher had the most money in "their" jar had to kiss a pig at the next assembly. That was wildly popular with the students, for obvious reasons. (And the teachers involved had all volunteered for it, no one was forced). If I remember right, the principal "won"  ;D

I remember something similar to this in high school, although instead of kissing a pig it was throwing water balloons at the "winner."

The assistant principal "won" that one. It was terrific and funny! All participating parties were willing and it was a very hot day. Win/win for all!
Who is the Doctor?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:36 AM »
One of our town aldermen happened to also teach at the junior high.  There was some big town-wide festival and he was in the dunk tank to raise money for something-or-other.  As it happened, one of my classmates was both a terrible student and a very, very good pitcher on the baseball team.

"This is for that D-plus!  *DUNK*"
"This is for making me re-write my last paper!  *DUNK*"
"This is for giving us such crappy topics to pick from!  *DUNK*"

I think he dunked our teacher nine times with ten throws  ;D  Luckily everyone was a good sport about it, but it was pretty funny to watch!

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »
We've done a dunk tank at my office for charity.  About 6 executives volunteer to sit for about a half hour apiece, and as many people as you want line up.  "You made me cut my budget??"  DUNK.

You could also pay money for people with better aim to throw for you, or pay double and just run up to hit the lever.  We're a pretty forgiving bunch.   ;D