Author Topic: SO Decluttering - New Projects  (Read 906 times)

JustCallMePat

SO Decluttering - New Projects
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
I'm going to keep this separate from the Decluttering thread but in my case it's kind of related.  We got our basement storage area all cleaned out when MIL shows up with many boxes from her basement that she's been "meaning to give us".  She's a hoarder so anything that comes out is good and is that much less we'll have to someday deal with.

After a week of DH and I stepping around the boxes, wewent through them and ended up sorting, tossing or donating much of it.  What was left is rather interesting.  There are a dozen sad irons (real iron irons heated by placing on a stove) which are going to make great doorstops.  They came from DH's great-grandmother's house.  DH will sandblast them this weekend to get all the rust off and I'll spray paint them to match the room they'll end up in - pink for DD's room, lavender for the guest room, blue for our bedroom, etc. 

Then there are the Indian Heads.  Several lifesize American Indian heads made from chalkware dating to around 1900, maybe having once decorated a cigar store like the Indian statues which often stood out front.  DH remembers them, and recalls that his aunt repainted them sometime in the 1960s.  And did a horrible job.  My goal is to find someone who can restore a finish something more lifelike.  Any ideas who I could look for to do something like this?

We found a box of old family letters and jewelry, some of it gold, and five tiny antique perfume bottles.  We found beautiful baptismal certificates dating from the 1870s through the 1930s.  These I'll scan and find a safe way to store, with the digital images going in with our family photos.

Has anyone else found anything interesting as a result of decluttering, either forgotten treasures from their own space or maybe something handed on?

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: SO Decluttering - New Projects
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »
Try asking at a local art museum/gallery. They may know of someone who can do that for you.

Amara

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »
For restoration the above suggestions are good. Also try http://www.ha.com/ since they sold a full cigar store Indian statue at auction for over $200,000. They certainly can refer you to legitimate restorers.

gmatoy

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 12:54:27 AM »
Just wanted to say how fortunate the family is that you took the time to look through the boxes instead of just tossing them out! Genealogists pray to find that type of info for their families.

Phoebelion

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:56:37 AM »
When we were cleaning out Mom and Dad's house, we found:

IL license plates from dirt (they were cardboard) to about 10 years ago - DS latched onto those

A set of bone handled knives and forks.  In perfect condition.  Thru research, determined that they were sold from 1800 to 1805 - and spoons were never even available for the set.  Actually was able to get a page from the catalog there were in.  Way cool!  DH latched onto those.

A cotton boll carder - only one  One of those wood things with the million little pins.  You put raw cotton on it and used two of them to get them straight?  Like grooming a matted dog.  I latched onto that.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »
My next project, now that I have a new printer (which also scans) is to scan in old photos. Both mine, and my mom's and try and create some order out of them. We both have them pretty well sorted and organized, but in case anything ever happens, I'd like to get the "good" ones electronically as well. I figure that will take me a very long time, so will be good for those cold winter nights when there's nothing else going on.

cwm

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
We went through the basement at mom's house when dad left. We've found several boxes of cameras and camera parts. I'm going to sell what I can, and then take some of the newer ones (from the 70s and 80s instead of 40s and 50s) and try to restore them myself. I've always wanted to know more about camera repair, and if I mess it up, well, it wasn't functioning to begin with, so I'm not really out anything.

We've also found tons of pictures. Boxes and boxes and boxes of them. Some of them are in great condition. Some of them are really really old and I'm trying to convince mom to scan them and let me touch the digital images up so she can reprint them and have good copies to display as well as keeping the old copies safe.

Cleaning out my great aunt's house when she passed (which had also been where my great grandma lived) was kind of sad. On one hand, I got a few really nice things (crystal dolphin statuettes, and I love dolphins). On the other hand, there was so much bickering between the siblings and their children that I came away thinking much less of my family. And they only wanted the things worth money. My great great grandpa's helmet from when he was a miner was left on the floor. Nobody wanted it. It still had his name on it. Also the Chinese Checkers board he made by hand for his kids. Mom ended up with both of them because she has some care for family history and taking care of things.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »

Then there are the Indian Heads.  Several lifesize American Indian heads made from chalkware dating to around 1900, maybe having once decorated a cigar store like the Indian statues which often stood out front.  DH remembers them, and recalls that his aunt repainted them sometime in the 1960s.  And did a horrible job.  My goal is to find someone who can restore a finish something more lifelike.  Any ideas who I could look for to do something like this?

Hey you never know...maybe she may spawn the next new internet phenomenon!

Potato Jesus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecce_Homo_(El%C3%ADas_Garc%C3%ADa_Mart%C3%ADnez)

cwm

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 02:46:29 PM »

Hey you never know...maybe she may spawn the next new internet phenomenon!

Potato Jesus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecce_Homo_(El%C3%ADas_Garc%C3%ADa_Mart%C3%ADnez)

Please note that the last bit of parenthesis should be in the link as well for it to work properly. But yeah, Ecce Homo always makes me smile.

JustCallMePat

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »
The Indian Heads as they look aren't quite as bad as Potato Jesus, but they're not too far behind.  I do want to find someone to get them back to how I imagine they must have once looked.

Next project completed.  I found three old ceramic Christmas trees, the kind with the stick in plastic lights. (very '70s-80s look) Of course there were not nearly enough lights to be found.  eBay helped me out on that part with $5 buying plenty of new inserts, so with DH re-wiring them and using a brighter CFL bulb, they're ready for the holiday season.