General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

how to keep job search quiet

(1/3) > >>

rain:
I need to find a new job.  How do you keep the fact that you're looking/have interviews quiet?

Also - as more than one person has said that supervisors have "blocked" job hunts in the past, what could I put on applications where it asks "may we contact current employer?  why not?"

and what about reason for leaving?  Would "not a good fit" be ok (I've worked for employer for  over 8 yr, but the location I'm currently at really, really isn't a good fit)

camlan:

--- Quote from: rain on September 06, 2013, 09:00:30 PM ---I need to find a new job.  How do you keep the fact that you're looking/have interviews quiet?

Also - as more than one person has said that supervisors have "blocked" job hunts in the past, what could I put on applications where it asks "may we contact current employer?  why not?"

and what about reason for leaving?  Would "not a good fit" be ok (I've worked for employer for  over 8 yr, but the location I'm currently at really, really isn't a good fit)

--- End quote ---

When I've job hunted while employed, I never told anyone. Never, ever, use your work computer or phone for job hunting. (You probably know that, but it doesn't hurt to repeat it.) Take cell phone calls away from your desk if you can.

When I had interviews, I just told my boss I needed time off for an appointment. No need to say what kind--most of my bosses have never cared why I was off, they just wanted to know as much in advance as possible.

For your second question, I've put "no, do not contact," and "Employer frowns on employees seeking other employment." That should be enough reason. If they bring it up in an interview, I've just said my supervisor could be contacted as a reference if they made me a job offer. But only after the offer was on the table. Most companies should understand this.

Please, please, please, do not put "not a good fit." This opens the door to the hiring company wondering if it is you that is not a good fit, i.e. there's something wrong with you as an employee. Better to put something like, "In the eight years that I have been with XYZ Corp., I have moved from Production Assistant to Production Supervisor to Production Manager. I feel that I have advanced as far as I can here, and am seeking new opportunities to utilize my skill set," or something like that.

veronaz:
Don’t put anything related to your job search on your work computer.  Ditto re: copier, fax, company phone.  Even if deleted it (word documents, emails) can be checked/traced.

Don’t tell anyone, especially those close friends at work who you trust.

--- Quote ---what could I put on applications where it asks "may we contact current employer?  why not?"
--- End quote ---

"Will discuss at interview".  Then if you get an iinterview, make it clear they can only contact current employer IF hiring you is contingent on a good reference.  As far as "Why not?":  Because you don't want to jeopardize the job you already have.

It's a small world........your current boss or someone you work with might find out anyway.

PastryGoddess:
If you need to keep a copy of your resume on file, you may want to use google docs or what ever it's called now.  That way you can still access it at work without having to open it on your work computer.

I second the advice above, especially about not putting "not a good fit". 

Library Dragon:
Most interviewers understand when you say "no" to contacting current employer.  You don't want to jeapordize your job. 

I have put "professional growth" when I applied for another position. 

I did say I had an appointment.  If needed I expanded that it was to take care of some personal business.  I did have a boss who wanted to every detail if I asked for time off.  The personal invasion was one reason I was looking for another job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version