Author Topic: how to keep job search quiet  (Read 2488 times)

rain

how to keep job search quiet
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:30 PM »
I need to find a new job.  How do you keep the fact that you're looking/have interviews quiet?

Also - as more than one person has said that supervisors have "blocked" job hunts in the past, what could I put on applications where it asks "may we contact current employer?  why not?"

and what about reason for leaving?  Would "not a good fit" be ok (I've worked for employer for  over 8 yr, but the location I'm currently at really, really isn't a good fit)
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: how to keep job search quiet
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:15:52 PM »
I need to find a new job.  How do you keep the fact that you're looking/have interviews quiet?

Also - as more than one person has said that supervisors have "blocked" job hunts in the past, what could I put on applications where it asks "may we contact current employer?  why not?"

and what about reason for leaving?  Would "not a good fit" be ok (I've worked for employer for  over 8 yr, but the location I'm currently at really, really isn't a good fit)

When I've job hunted while employed, I never told anyone. Never, ever, use your work computer or phone for job hunting. (You probably know that, but it doesn't hurt to repeat it.) Take cell phone calls away from your desk if you can.

When I had interviews, I just told my boss I needed time off for an appointment. No need to say what kind--most of my bosses have never cared why I was off, they just wanted to know as much in advance as possible.

For your second question, I've put "no, do not contact," and "Employer frowns on employees seeking other employment." That should be enough reason. If they bring it up in an interview, I've just said my supervisor could be contacted as a reference if they made me a job offer. But only after the offer was on the table. Most companies should understand this.

Please, please, please, do not put "not a good fit." This opens the door to the hiring company wondering if it is you that is not a good fit, i.e. there's something wrong with you as an employee. Better to put something like, "In the eight years that I have been with XYZ Corp., I have moved from Production Assistant to Production Supervisor to Production Manager. I feel that I have advanced as far as I can here, and am seeking new opportunities to utilize my skill set," or something like that.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

veronaz

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
Don’t put anything related to your job search on your work computer.  Ditto re: copier, fax, company phone.  Even if deleted it (word documents, emails) can be checked/traced.

Don’t tell anyone, especially those close friends at work who you trust.

what could I put on applications where it asks "may we contact current employer?  why not?"

"Will discuss at interview".  Then if you get an iinterview, make it clear they can only contact current employer IF hiring you is contingent on a good reference.  As far as "Why not?":  Because you don't want to jeopardize the job you already have.

It's a small world........your current boss or someone you work with might find out anyway.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:26:32 PM by veronaz »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »
If you need to keep a copy of your resume on file, you may want to use google docs or what ever it's called now.  That way you can still access it at work without having to open it on your work computer.

I second the advice above, especially about not putting "not a good fit". 

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »
Most interviewers understand when you say "no" to contacting current employer.  You don't want to jeapordize your job. 

I have put "professional growth" when I applied for another position. 

I did say I had an appointment.  If needed I expanded that it was to take care of some personal business.  I did have a boss who wanted to every detail if I asked for time off.  The personal invasion was one reason I was looking for another job.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:36:55 AM »
in addition to the great advice, let your prospective interviewers know that you are currently working and would appreciate flexibility in scheduling an interview (early AM? lunch break? weekend?) - i've done that and it worked out fine. Also, if you are working through an agent, see if you can schedule 2-3 interviews for the same day, and then ask for the day off or half day off.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

veronaz

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
Also, if you are working through an agent, see if you can schedule 2-3 interviews for the same day, and then ask for the day off or half day off.

This s a good idea; just take a personal day or vacation day and spend the day interviewing.  If you say you “have an appointment” people start to speculate if you’re dressed up more than usual.  This got to be a joke at a former job – I decided to wear a new outfit and happened to have a dental appt (not an anterview), that morning.  Co-workers asked “how was your interview”?  ;D

I strongly advise against calling in sick when you really have a job interview.  As I said upthread, it’s a small world.  There is a chance someone might see you while you're out and about.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:11:46 AM by veronaz »

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »

When I had interviews, I just told my boss I needed time off for an appointment. No need to say what kind--most of my bosses have never cared why I was off, they just wanted to know as much in advance as possible.

Of course where I work if people say they will be at an appt and don't say what kind, we assume they are job hunting!

onikenbai

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 12:49:59 AM »

Of course where I work if people say they will be at an appt and don't say what kind, we assume they are job hunting!

Always go with dentist.  Dental things come up last minute, are time consuming, awkwardly timed, require multiple visits and you don't have to look visibly ill.  Perfect cover.

veronaz

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »

Always go with dentist.  Dental things come up last minute, are time consuming, awkwardly timed, require multiple visits and you don't have to look visibly ill.  Perfect cover.

Unless you really do have a dental appt later that week/month and the dentist’s office calls and leaves a message to remind you of your dental appointment.  I know of a case where someone was fired because they lied about a dental appt.and actually had a job interview.  Perfect cover?  Not really.

Personal business is better.  That can be so many different things (bank loan/mortgage, attorney, court, child's school activity, meeting with teacher, plumber, electrician, etc. etc.) and I never go into detail because it’s personal.  If co-workers want to speculate so be it.  Maybe they have too much time on their hands are are just pathetically nosey.

ETA:  One doesn't have to be visibly ill to have a doctor's appt.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:24:09 AM by veronaz »

EllenS

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
If you say you “have an appointment” people start to speculate if you’re dressed up more than usual.  This got to be a joke at a former job – I decided to wear a new outfit and happened to have a dental appt (not an anterview), that morning.  Co-workers asked “how was your interview”?  ;D

I actually planned my outfits during my last job hunt, so I could just change my shoes/jewelry and throw on a dressy jacket in the car.  Worked great.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »
I once worked in a very casual office environment once, and couldn't wait to get out of there.  So when I was interviewing, I knew that showing up in a suit would be a dead giveaway.  So I put my suit in my car and scheduled the interview for the end of the day.  Then I just left at a reasonably normal time, went to a hotel a few blocks away and changed into my suit in the restroom of the convention center at the hotel.  Worked like a charm.

learningtofly

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:54 AM »
I'm chiming in late, but here's what I've done.  I take PTO for interviews.  If the interviews are internal or they're phone interviews you book a conference room for yourself.  I have driven to work in normal clothes and then gone to another building to change for the interview.  Will someone look back and wonder if all the time you took off was really for interviewing?  Maybe.  But at that point it won't matter.

Also, I never et them contact my current employer.  I have many references, but you may not tell my boss I'm looking. I don't want to mess up my current job if you don't hire me.  This is standard practice.   Good luck!