Author Topic: Your schedule changes affect me - update #31  (Read 8184 times)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: Your schedule changes affect me
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »

Finding irregular childcare that's available with short notice can be incredibly difficult - particularly if you don't happen to have family that lives near by and isn't employed themselves. Friends can be helpful in emergencies, but quite often aren't willing to be a regular part of your child-care arrangements.

The problem here is that the OP hasn't actually agreed to be that sort of child-care system. The arrangement they have now is that the baby sitting is not done on a regular schedule (which is what the OP would find easiest), but the schedule is set two months in advance, when the friend knows her schedule, so the OP can plan her own life.  The friend, though, is asking for changes with as little as a week's notice, and appears to not have a backup plan if the OP is unable to make the change.

So I think the OP needs to decide what her policy is - for example, she'll make the change if it's possible, but not if it's inconvenient, or she needs at least two weeks notice for changes, or last minute schedule changes will cost extra. Then she needs to sit down and tell her friend/client what this is, in the same way they discussed things like illness or overtime.

Out of curiosity - if you have a plan for illness, there must be some sort of backup system for when you can't take the child. Would that same system work for last minute schedule changes?

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Re: Your schedule changes affect me
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »
(snip)

Out of curiosity - if you have a plan for illness, there must be some sort of backup system for when you can't take the child. Would that same system work for last minute schedule changes?

No.  On the rare occasion that I am too sick and contagious to care for Bob, one of his parents will take the day off to care for him.

You are right that it is hard to find reliable childcare that can be available on short notice.

I have Bob today, and Jan dropped him off (usually it is Dan, Bob's father).  I took the opportunity to have a quick chat with Jan about the last minute schedule changes and how they affect me.

In short, I am taking Bob on Thursday.  However, I let Jan know that I'd planned a few things for that day, including a dr's appt (that was actually the easiest thing to move).  I told her that I need a full week's notice. 

Apparently, there have been shift/schedule changes that she has turned down because it only gives me a day or two notice.  But she asked if we could make some sort of arrangement for these.  This is our compromised, and I am quite happy with it:
When there is a shift she wants to take at work, she will send me a message.  I have facebook open nearly all the time and my speakers turned on, so I hear the beep when I get a message.  I have promised to respond asap, as long as I'm around.  She can expect a response from me within an hour if I'm at home, and within 6 hours if I'm not (or first thing in the morning if she messages me after I've gone to bed).  This gives me the chance to pick up extra work if I want it and turn it down if I can't, all without causing her any problems with finding last minute care.

Bob is her first child, and before her mat leave, she would change shifts around without a second thought.  She is a nurse, and I know from other nurse friends and family that getting your schedule then adjusting it to suit you is just the way things work. 

I'm happy with this arrangement now.  I don't feel the pressure to accept if I can't take Bob on any given day, and it also affords Jan some flexibility in adjusting her schedule.

The whole reason why Jan and Dan opted for me as the daycare provider was for flexibility (and security).  I am willing to keep Bob after 6pm if needed (for a small fee) and take him before 7am if needed (again, for a fee).  They know that there is at least the occasional willingness to do weekends (a huge bonus for both of them, because good luck finding that anywhere else).

So this has been resolved to my satisfaction.  Although I did end up taking him, by not agreeing right away and by letting Jan know that it was actually kind of inconvenient, it's changed the dynamic slightly.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Your schedule changes affect me - update #31
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »
So this has been resolved to my satisfaction.  Although I did end up taking him, by not agreeing right away and by letting Jan know that it was actually kind of inconvenient, it's changed the dynamic slightly.

Yay! I think this is a win.

As I said, there are degrees of pushback. This sounds like it's given you more of a sense of control. Now you just have to manage *you* so that you don't feel that you have to cave. Because it sounds like Jan isn't really asking that of you, so you'll want not to ask it of yourself.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »
The important thing is you two have good communication.
                www.ellenseltz.com

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »
What a pretty shiny spine you have :)