Author Topic: Gimme Pig? There's an app for that.  (Read 2861 times)

nutraxfornerves

Gimme Pig? There's an app for that.
« on: September 08, 2013, 12:35:17 PM »
This turned up on a travel forum where I hang out. Since it's a breach of their terms, it probably won't last long, so I won't link to it. Since I don't want to give them publicity, I'm just going to describe it.

Someone is developing a Facebook app and asked for opinions. The idea is you'd post something like "I'm here in Timbuktu and I have a great opportunity to take a camel trip to the salt mines, but I can't afford it. Won't you chip in and help me take the trip. Here's an app..." The developer asked what might be an incentive to send the money: it will make the person happy, it benefits a good cause; the person will send you a souvenir, the person will do you a favor in return, etc.

The responses I saw weren't kind. Mostly "My reaction to such a post? To unfriend them immediately."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Gimme Pig? There's an app for that.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
If I got one of those, I'd assume it was one of those "I'm stranded/arrested in London, send money" scams.

Good to see the consensus opinion was that it was not okay. We (general internet-we) sometimes see awful apps and think they're signs of, like, The Decline of Civilization as We Know It, when really it just takes one person to develop an app and there are a lot of people who see boorishness for what it is.

metallicafan

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
My original response would not be ehell approved.  >:D

Wow. What nerve some people have. This will not sound very nice, I know, but, if I cannot afford a fabulous trip for me and my family, why the ehell would I help someone else?

snowdragon

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »

Wow. What nerve some people have. This will not sound very nice, I know, but, if I cannot afford a fabulous trip for me and my family, why the ehell would I help someone else?

This is pretty much how I feel about all fundraising.

Pen^2

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 02:27:16 PM »
If I got one of those, I'd assume it was one of those "I'm stranded/arrested in London, send money" scams.

Good to see the consensus opinion was that it was not okay. We (general internet-we) sometimes see awful apps and think they're signs of, like, The Decline of Civilization as We Know It, when really it just takes one person to develop an app and there are a lot of people who see boorishness for what it is.

I am in this camp. "<Name> has requested that you install <App> to send him/her money! Download here! Please visit our sponsors in Nigeria! etc." Sounds like a Facebook virus or something. Oh, they're serious? Ignore. Oh, they keep asking me to fund their elephant safari photo shoot? Defriend.

I dislike the fundraising trend that has grown lately. Fundraising can be wonderful for charities and other appropriate things, but for your holiday in Woop Woop? Oh, for goodness' sake. Save up enough money to go properly if you can, instead of asking people to pay your way, or just don't go. There are sites where people post the things they want strangers to give them money for, and while a lot are innocent enough, many are things like "parking fines" and "ridiculously over-the-top wedding" and so on. If a friend asked me for money because of a dire situation, that's one thing, but if a friend asked me for money because they didn't want to spend (or live responsibly enough to save) their own money on something fun? No, sorry. If you see me as a source of money for such things then clearly you don't understand what a friend is.

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »

You have to look at it in perspective.  See, the Fabulous Trip will cost me $5000 and I'm just asking for $368 from you for the Elephant Ride.  That's less than 10%!  Practically pocket money!

I am able to explain this to you because I've had it explained to me. 

Turned out that my pocket had a hole in it and no money.  >:D

daen

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »

You have to look at it in perspective.  See, the Fabulous Trip will cost me $5000 and I'm just asking for $368 from you for the Elephant Ride.  That's less than 10%! Practically pocket money!

I am able to explain this to you because I've had it explained to me. 

Turned out that my pocket had a hole in it and no money.  >:D

"Then you can find it in your own pocket. Enjoy your trip!"

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 04:14:23 PM »
Who takes a trip without making sure they can afford related activities?  If you can't afford the camel ride, just skip the camel ride - or postponed the trip until you save up for everything involved? 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »
Can't remember if I posted this on the moocher thread, but someone posted on that travel forum something along the lines of "I really want to travel to [Some place], but can't afford to, so here's a link to my crowdfunding web site." The comments were similarly unsympathetic.

The poster added "Moderators, please don't delete. After all, you were once young and poor and wanted to travel." The mods either were never young and poor, never wanted to travel, or didn't think that was a good excuse--the post didn't last long.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 05:21:59 PM »
Who takes a trip without making sure they can afford related activities?  If you can't afford the camel ride, just skip the camel ride - or postponed the trip until you save up for everything involved?

I consider these, and any other expenses related to any trip I might take as PART of the overall budget. I'm going on a cruise next year, from Baltimore, and live in NJ. My cousin lives in MD but closer to DC. She actually thought I would be willing to drive down to her house, then drive us both to the port, and park. she was willing to pay half the parking but its not just the money, its the time! And I'd rather drive 45 mins to friends, leave my car there, and take a 2 hour train ride, and then a cab to the port.  It will cost lest too!  she is also under the impression her brother will be willing to drive her up, but he already told me there's an inexpensive shuttle she can take. I think she's in for a bit of a rude awakening.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 05:27:54 PM »

I consider these, and any other expenses related to any trip I might take as PART of the overall budget. I'm going on a cruise next year, from Baltimore, and live in NJ. My cousin lives in MD but closer to DC. She actually thought I would be willing to drive down to her house, then drive us both to the port, and park. she was willing to pay half the parking but its not just the money, its the time! And I'd rather drive 45 mins to friends, leave my car there, and take a 2 hour train ride, and then a cab to the port.  It will cost lest too!  she is also under the impression her brother will be willing to drive her up, but he already told me there's an inexpensive shuttle she can take. I think she's in for a bit of a rude awakening.

She does know shore excursions, alcohol, etc. cost extra and therefore she has to budget for those, right?  Just checking...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »
Can't remember if I posted this on the moocher thread, but someone posted on that travel forum something along the lines of "I really want to travel to [Some place], but can't afford to, so here's a link to my crowdfunding web site." The comments were similarly unsympathetic.

The poster added "Moderators, please don't delete. After all, you were once young and poor and wanted to travel." The mods either were never young and poor, never wanted to travel, or didn't think that was a good excuse--the post didn't last long.

Good for The Mods!

When I was young and poor and wanted to travel, I had to wait until I was a little older and had a decent job before I could do so.  Deferred gratification is good for the humility. 

It's Bad enough when people present sob stories and ask for funding.  It's a complete turn-off when people ask strangers to pay for luxuries.  It reflects very badly on the person making the request. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »

She does know shore excursions, alcohol, etc. cost extra and therefore she has to budget for those, right?  Just checking...

Oh definitely. She's been on 20+ cruises to my two. she's funny about money. if it's something she can get pleasure out of, clothes, expensive purses, fun stuff, vacations, there's no issue. But when its the "necessary" stuff, like car repair, or saving a few pennies on things, she can be quite cheap, hence the thought that she can get her brother to drive her up and pick her up. when for me, stuff like that is PART of the overall cost.

We went on vacation to SC a few years back, and rented a friend's condo, for next to nothing. She's active military, and actually thought about driving quite a way out of the way, simply to get groceries at the PX, so as not to have to pay tax at a "regular" grocery store. Never mind it was like 30 miles each way there, and for a week, we didn't need much food, so any tax savings would have been eaten up by the extra gas. that kind of stuff

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »

Good for The Mods!

When I was young and poor and wanted to travel, I had to wait until I was a little older and had a decent job before I could do so.  Deferred gratification is good for the humility. 

It's Bad enough when people present sob stories and ask for funding.  It's a complete turn-off when people ask strangers to pay for luxuries.  It reflects very badly on the person making the request.

I'm 47 and still haven't been to many of the places or taken as many trips as I'd like, since you know, I can't afford to!

metallicafan

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »

Good for The Mods!

This thread reminds me of the time my dear sil jokingly asked my mil and fil to pay for all of us to go to Disney  ::).
She was not entirely joking.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:15:16 PM by metallicafan »