Author Topic: So you want me to pay more, when I've already paid less?  (Read 16614 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

So you want me to pay more, when I've already paid less?
« on: September 09, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »
I was so excited I actually got to use this phrase! And it was the perfect response in the moment!

B/G: I was asked to be a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding, friend (K) and I have known each other since Jr. High, and I know her mom decently well. About a month ago we all went (6 bridesmaids total) to pick out our dresses and agreed on a lovely style. However, they aren't cheap, so everyone made arrangements to get the dresses at a later time (a few were going to look on line, others were doing payments with the store, ect), myself included. End B/G.

I am a frequent thrift shopper. I love thrift stores, second hand shops, ect. I find a good amount of my wardrobe at these stores and am quiet well seasoned at finding the "good stuff" (or turning the "bad stuff" into "good stuff") and this weekend I hit up a half price sale at my local goodwill. Well imagine my surprise as I was pursuing the dresses to find...the exact bridesmaid dress I needed! At a very, very steep discount! Only downside was it was a size too big for me, so I knew I'd either have to take it in or take it to my tailor to take it in. Even taking that expense into consideration it would still be considerably less then the bridal store.

I tried it on and sent a picture to my friend K (BTB) to make sure it was the right one and bought it (even if I was wrong, it was cute dress for good deal). I get a text back from K to say it looks great and can I come over to her mom's house and show her and her mom in person. Sure, no problem, I grabbed the shoes I was going to wear with it so they could see the whole "look" and headed over.

I try it on, mom and K are happy as clams. Mom does notice it looks a bit big and I confirm that it is one size bigger and that I'll have it taken in, which confuses Mom, did the store not have my size? Why not just order the right size and have it shipped to store? At which point I say I didn't buy it at the store I found it at a thrift store (K was already aware of this as I had texted her "look what I found at goodwill!"). Mom gives me a smile nods, hmms, and I say I'm going to go change back into my street clothes. I head upstairs and Mom follows me and corners me in the bedroom to let me know I couldn't wear this dress, it was used and I needed to go buy the one from the bridal store. I kind of stare at her blankly, and ask why I should go spend considerably more on an identical dress just because of where it comes from. Her response is that money isn't an issue for me like some of the other girls, so I have no excuse to not pay full price for my dress.

I smile at her say "Since K seems to be happy with this dress, this is the dress I'll be wearing" to which she replies "You need to go to the bridal store and buy it new" at which point (still with a smile) I say "That just isn't going to be possible, now if you'll excuse me, I need to get changed", I picked up my street clothes and slipped into the bathroom to change my clothes.

I know this isn't over. I've already gotten three emails about it. Two from Mom, one from K saying "I'm just glad you have the dress, I don't care if you bought it at a brand new store on the 7th moon of Jupiter". I figure Mom will find something else to fret over soon enough and forget all together where my dress came from.

Did discover one difference, mine has pockets!!! You can't see them when the dress is on, but they are there!! Pockets!!!!

Pen^2

Re: So you want me to pay more, when I've already paid less?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »
Well done and nicely used! Although I worry for your friend. Hopefully this situation was atypical of her, but the mother might turn out to be a bridezilla-by-proxy.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »
As a thriftaholic myself, I gotta say...great score!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
Ooohhh, pockets - the one thing that most women's formal wear is sadly missing!

Now you won't need one of those cute but nearly useless tiny bags to carry around a comb, lipstick, money, ID, and the like - just slide them into a pocket!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »
Great story!

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
Can I just say as a Doctor Who fan that I heard you saying "Pockets!" in Donna Noble's voice?  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »
What a perfect place to use the phrase!  I'm glad you remembered it!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:33:51 AM »
Her response is that money isn't an issue for me like some of the other girls, so I have no excuse to not pay full price for my dress.

Woaah! If she gives you that line again, use the next EHell phrase (which you can save in your pockets - yay for pockets, I never carry a purse) and say "What an interesting assumption!"

Good for you for getting the dress at Goodwill! What a find! Glad that K is rational and reasonable and not a bridezilla. And good for you for using your EHell phrase "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

TeamBhakta

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:53:35 AM »
Next time use my mom's favorite phrase on her: "Boy, you sure do enjoy spending other people's money"  8)

YummyMummy66

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 06:14:31 AM »
If it is the same dress as the dress store, I would just tell her, "Ok, I will get right on that!".   

Day of wedding, when she comments on how nice your bridal dress is, especially since it came from bridal store, then I might or might not let her know that it actually was from the original store or maybe just a Thank you.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 02:40:10 PM »
Ooohhh, pockets - the one thing that most women's formal wear is sadly missing!

Now you won't need one of those cute but nearly useless tiny bags to carry around a comb, lipstick, money, ID, and the like - just slide them into a pocket!

See you went to the logical grown up place...mine went...I can hide snacks! Seriously, why don't we put pockets on all the dresses? Men get them on their suits! Purses are great, but sometimes you just need a darn pocket!

magicdomino

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »
See you went to the logical grown up place...mine went...I can hide snacks! Seriously, why don't we put pockets on all the dresses? Men get them on their suits! Purses are great, but sometimes you just need a darn pocket!

It ruins the lines of the dress.  Or so I've been told.   ::)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 02:48:04 PM »
Her response is that money isn't an issue for me like some of the other girls, so I have no excuse to not pay full price for my dress.

Woaah! If she gives you that line again, use the next EHell phrase (which you can save in your pockets - yay for pockets, I never carry a purse) and say "What an interesting assumption!"

Good for you for getting the dress at Goodwill! What a find! Glad that K is rational and reasonable and not a bridezilla. And good for you for using your EHell phrase "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

I think I'm going to have to start using that a lot more often with her! This isn't the first reference she's made to how much money I make/have, usually I just ignore it, my mom drilled it into my head that the easiest way to tell who has no money is to see who talks about it the most, so just keep your lips zipped. It really is none of her business, she knows the field I work in and knows partner and I live debt free, so she's able to deduce that between the two of us we have a decent bank account, but again...not her money, not her business (even my own mother stays out of my money).

I hate carrying a purse! But I love purses. It's like my heels, I love them, but I'd rather wear a pair of chucks or flip flops. Partner and I have figured out it's easier if we carry one purse for the two of us, so we can swap who has to carry/keep track of, said purse.

K is pretty chill, there are a few things that I already know have the potential to send her 'round the bend, but since I (and most of her bridesmaids) already know what they are we can smooth out any bumps ahead of time...hopefully.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 02:49:38 PM »

It ruins the lines of the dress.  Or so I've been told.   ::)

Lies! All lies to make us buy more purses!! Actually have I no idea, that sounds vaguely factual, I wouldn't know anything about lines. And while I can refashion I've only made two things from scratch...and it was a lot of work and they did not have pockets.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »
Next time use my mom's favorite phrase on her: "Boy, you sure do enjoy spending other people's money"  8)

LMAO!!! I love it!