Author Topic: best entertaining advice for overnight guests?  (Read 1600 times)

lellah

best entertaining advice for overnight guests?
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:30:01 PM »
A dear friend (whom I was visiting) told me recently "I want you to feel at home enough to help yourself to the stuff in the fridge, but not so at home you feel like you have to wash up the dishes."  This seems like the general level of hosting I aspire to.  What do you think?

Promise

Re: best entertaining advice for overnight guests?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
I love help with meals and general picking up if we all made the mess but I don't want them to feel obligated. I want them to feel special (with foods I have, special amenities, activities, etc.) but I also want them to be a part of the family atmosphere as well.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:20:31 AM »
Since the only overnight guests we have are family, things are pretty laid back.  They're perfectly welcome to anything in the fridge or the pantry.  Before they come, we also ask them if there's anything special we can get for them. 

There are only the four of us so clean up after meals isn't a problem.  If they want something during the day, they know where the cups and plates are and clean up after themselves. 

May I also add that little cooking is done when we have guests.  The visitors we have like New York food.  Breakfast is coffee, juice, fruit and warm bagels from a great place around the corner.  Lunch is usually sandwiches and salads or soup.  Because our guests could live on pizza, we call in a classic NY version for dinner.  The last guests we had also loved a rib place and asked for it both nights they stayed here.

They're an easy bunch to satisfy. 

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:14:03 AM by Thipu1 »

Arila

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
I've had a few different experiences with overnight guests. For one, she was just looking for a place to land/save on hotel costs. I offered the type of hospitality mentioned in the OP, and also made sure that we had things like her favorite tea on hand, and everything needful laid out in an obvious place in the kitchen. When my mother hosts family over the Holidays, she plans and posts the meal plan for the week. This makes sure that people don't help themselves to the food which is slated for Christmas dinner or something. We also have a list of tourist attractions (compiled for my wedding guests) so if they are looking for suggestions, we can make recommendations and give them the information. We've seen many of them before, so we know which ones are worth it, and sometimes we go for repeat visits along with them.

I make sure that I have available for them:
- Food to meet any specialized diets (Diabetic, vegetarian, etc)
- Freshly washed sheets & towels
- All the basic bathroom necessities so they can avoid the baggies at the security point if they like, and the potential mess in their bag etc. These include: Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Spray-deodorant, toothpaste, and an unused, still in the package toothbrush.

Our family is also lucky enough to be able to lend family members a car when they are visiting, so we shuffle some things around to enable us to do that.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 01:57:56 PM »
"I want you to feel at home enough to help yourself to the stuff in the fridge, but not so at home you feel like you have to wash up the dishes." Exactly how we feel!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
I like this as well. I have a small apt, but will host family and friends. What I do is let them know where everything is, coffeemaker, coffee, and other beverages and snacks, and tell them to help themselves. we generally are out and about, so not really cooking or eating, and i'll just tell them to leave any dishes in teh sink and i'll take care of them.

Now I stayed with a relative one time, and as she had dishes in the sink, i just rinsed mine and put them there. well, apparently she washes them, and doesn't really use her DW, and she rather snarkily suggested I could wash my dishes too! ok, i probably should have asked, not assumed, but really? it was a glass and plate, so if it were me, I would have just done them and not said anything.

there's a reason why I prefer to stay with her brother and SIL when I come to visit now. >:D