Author Topic: What is on your kitchen bench?  (Read 3234 times)

Leafy

What is on your kitchen bench?
« on: September 10, 2013, 05:56:52 AM »
In the toaster and kettle threads I noticed that several people mentioned that they would never get said appliance as they wouldn't want to waste the space on their kitchen counter/bench. This made me curious as the only electric appliance that stays on our bench is the kettle. All others; toaster, rice cooker, slow cooker etc are kept in the cupboard and brought out when needed. I understand this may vary for those in small apartments with limited storage.

So, what lives permanently on your kitchen bench?

Honeypickle

Re: What is on your kitchen bench?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 06:26:33 AM »
As an aside, I would always say kitchen counter (British) whilst my NZ husband would always say kitchen bench!

But to answer, on the counter tops: toaster, kettle, juicer, knife rack, coffee machine, garlic pot, vitamins and supplements, fruit bowls, container of baby bottles, container of baby food, a wooden chopping board and a wooden salt box.

On the kitchen window sill live: 2 peace lilys, a pot of fresh basil, pepper and salt grinders, tea/coffee/sugar pots, bread bin, pot of change and children's sippy cups.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:36:29 AM »
I have a tiny kitchen bench, so all that sits on it (and takes up most of the space) is the dish drainer and sink implements.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:43:43 AM »
Toaster, kettle and Thermomix as far as appliances go. I also keep out the wooden chopping board, a knife block and a utensil holder with my most used utensils such as tongs and wooden spoon (I could actually probably throw out all the ones in the drawer).

Snooks

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:28 AM »
Coffee machine, two utensil jars, microwave, knife block, rocking knife & board, tea/coffee caddys, sugar shaker, kettle, water filter.

We have quite a small kitchen so we don't own a toaster and the George Foreman grill, Magimix and stick blender live in the cupboards.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:21:15 AM »
I'm in the US and have a pretty small kitchen with limited counter space and yet we've got a knife block, electric can opener, utensil jar, toaster, microwave, coffee pot (plus glass jars of coffee and sugar), paper towel holder and fruit bowl out at all times. Ideally a few of those things (can opener, microwave and paper towels) would be mounted under the upper cabinets but we rent so I can't do that. Our last home had a lot more drawers and cupboards so only about half that stuff was out.

I've tried to put a few of those things away periodically but everybody complains that they're used frequently enough to be left out. I also try to keep everything unplugged except when in use but I'm losing that battle as well.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »
Toaster, kettle and Thermomix as far as appliances go. I also keep out the wooden chopping board, a knife block and a utensil holder with my most used utensils such as tongs and wooden spoon (I could actually probably throw out all the ones in the drawer).

What is a Thermomix?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 07:55:07 AM »
We have a galley kitchen.  It's long and narrow with the sink on one side and the range on the other.  The sink side is divided by a pillar.  One part contains the toaster, the coffee grinder and the coffee maker along with assorted snack food.  The other part has the blender, the dish drainer and a bowl for fruit.

The range side contains the spices and a ceramic container for cooking implements such as wooden spoons, spatulas and cooking forks.  Everything else either hangs on the wall or is put away in cabinets. 

Redsoil

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:49:22 AM »
Phone and answering machine unit, fruit bowl, tissues, DH's glasses, electric kettle, toaster, cake tin, slow cooker, breadbox, wooden decorative cheeseboard, miniature milk jug and miniature set of decorated enamel mugs.

Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

menley

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 08:52:20 AM »
I mostly clicked on this cause I had no clue what a kitchen bench was!

In the US, we had lots of counter space, so the stuff that stayed on the counter regularly was a toaster oven, coffeemaker, telephone, Kitchenaid mixer (too heavy to move back and forth) and some utensils storage.

We moved to Europe about 1.5 years ago and have a kitchen that's about 1/4 the size of our old one, so nothing stays on the counter :)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »
I thought of "bench" as the thing you sit on, not a counter  ;D.

One of my counters is the home "office"-my folders for papers I need to act on, the phone, answering machine, telephone book caddy.

The rest: Spice rack, knife block, can opener, toaster oven, cookie jar, breadbox, four and sugar canisters, utensil holder,  paper towels, dish drainer, and usually assorted things to put away.  Writing it out makes it seem like much more!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:19:39 AM by guihong »

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »
I thankfully have lots of counter space and always insist on a kitchen with counter space as I cook/bake a lot.

Right now I have a bread machine, huge wooden cutting board, microwave, crockpot, rice cooker, soda stream,  toaster oven, blender, canisters of flours (AP, BF, WWF and Pastry flour) and yogurt machine.  Luckily I still have counters to knead on, arrange out all my stuff to chop, and a meat prepping area.  I have a can opener but it sits under my upper cabinet. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »

What is a Thermomix?

I was going to ask that myself, so Googled it: http://www.thermomix.com.au/.  Those things do everything a food processor and blender would do, plus it somehow cooks.  I wish we had that in the U.S.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:14 AM »
For me, my KitchenAid mixer, microwave and toaster oven, because they are big.
For my husband, every appliance he might use weekly.  That drives me a little nuts.  There is even a small counter filled with snacks for our daughter. 

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
Keurig, basket of fruit and veggies, toaster, brown sugar canister, salt pig and pepper grinders, and on the very edge of the counter I keep a box of Kleenex.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys