Author Topic: What don't you have on your kitchen counter/bench?  (Read 2048 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
What don't you have on your kitchen counter/bench?
« on: September 10, 2013, 10:58:46 AM »
People always comment that I don't have a coffee machine or dish rack.  I drink coffee from a press or percolator in which both go in the "coffee" cabinet.  And I don't use a dish rack preferring the dishwasher OR hand drying and putting it away instantly. 

What don't you have that is "common" in most kitchens?

sunnygirl

Re: What don't you have on your kitchen counter/bench?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »
I don't have anything coffee-related at all because I don't drink it, and none of my friends do either. I do have an antique coffee machine in my loft.

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »
I don't have either of those things either. I don't drink coffee and when I handwash the few dishes that can't go in the dishwasher, they get dried and put away immediately.

But no one's ever commented on those things being absent. Maybe it's because I don't actually have anything on my counters. Well, except a few decorative items in unused corners. All my small appliances are in an appliance garage so behind the closed door while still conveniently located for easy use.

Other than that, the only time anything is on the counter is if I'm preping/cooking.

cwm

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
I don't have a microwave, coffee maker, or toaster/toaster oven. People think it's weird, but I'm just poor. And I wouldn't use it much anyway.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:10:17 AM »
I don't have a knife block. Mine is in a drawer instead (and I love it that way).

Library Dragon

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:14:21 AM »
I don't have and never owned an electric can opener.  Sometimes people look at the hand held opener with puzzlement.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

jalutaja

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 03:48:19 AM »
I don't have and never owned an electric can opener.  Sometimes people look at the hand held opener with puzzlement.

What is an electric can opener? I have never seen one. Is it an American specialty?

Green Bean

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »
What's an appliance garage? Is that like a pantry? We have a corner pantry that is half food, half appliances.

As for the topic of this thread... Not much! But there is no coffee maker. I don't like the smell, so DH makes his coffee in the basement. It's much nicer than it sounds as we finished it a few years back.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »
This is an appliance garage:

It's basically a cabinet that goes all the way down to the kitchen counter (often with outlets inside) and a door that often opens up and away. You store your appliances inside of it, but when you open the door, you can just pull them forward to use them, and then slide them right back in when you're done. It's kind of the same idea of storing your car in a regular garage.

The difference between that and a pantry is that you don't have to pick them up and move them to use the appliances, because they are already stored on the counter. It's basically a way to have your appliances always out on the counter without having them be visible on the counter.

katycoo

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 12:05:20 AM »
I have those - one for the micowave and one for the toaster and kettle.  i've not heard that term before though.

Noone really has electric can openers in Australia.  My mother is the only person I know who's had one adni'm pretty sure she brought it with her when we moved back from the states.  hers was wall mounted.

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 12:29:53 AM »
I don't even own a coffee maker, because I don't drink it and my DH only drinks it before work, and he doesn't live with us while he's working. Other than that, I pretty much have everything on my counter: Magic bullet base, veggie steamer, crock pot, knife block. spice rack, butter dish, salt and pepper grinders.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

katycoo

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 12:55:25 AM »
Other than that, I pretty much have everything on my counter: Magic bullet base, veggie steamer, crock pot, knife block. spice rack, butter dish, salt and pepper grinders.

How people are different.  I have none of that except the knife block on my bench.

NestHolder

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
I have a kettle instead of a coffee maker - we Brits are often philistines who drink instant coffee if we drink it at all - and no electric can-opener or food processor. 

I do have—and you may all gasp in envy at this—a temperature controlled butter dish.

Margo

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »
I'm a Brit, and I have a coffee maker :-) I don't have an electric can opener although they are available - my grandmother had one as she found it easier than a hand held one, due to the arthritis in her hands.

I have my coffee maker, toaster, microwave and kettle on the counter. Also a big jar with all my wooden spoons ans spatulas in it. And a bowl of eggs, when I have eggs.

I don't own a knife block, or a crock pot.