Author Topic: What don't you have on your kitchen counter/bench?  (Read 2037 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: What don't you have on your kitchen counter/bench?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »
I have one of these:

It's a combination electric can opener, electric jar opener, and plain old bottle opener. It sounds like a useless bit of overkill, but actually it's wonderful. I have arthritis and my hands are very weak. It's hard & sometimes painful to use an electric can opener or to try to open a jar. Mr. Nutrax had limited use of is left hand, so opening jars was difficult. This appliance solved those problems. Apparently it didn't solve problems for enough people, as it's no longer made. although you can still find stand-alone electric jar openers.

I don't have a coffee pot, because I don't drink coffee. I do have jars full of the utensils I use most right next ot the stove. A knife block. My toaster also stays out. I have large tins of flour & sugar on the counter as well, mainly because they don't fit into any cupboard. (They are stainless steel tins given me by a doctor who got them when her hospital was discarding them. They prominently labeled "circumcision sheets.") The tea kettle lives on the stove.

The mixer, blender, food processor, and other appliances live inside cabinets.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

magicdomino

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »
I don't have a coffee pot, because I don't drink coffee. I do have jars full of the utensils I use most right next ot the stove. A knife block. My toaster also stays out. I have large tins of flour & sugar on the counter as well, mainly because they don't fit into any cupboard. (They are stainless steel tins given me by a doctor who got them when her hospital was discarding them. They prominently labeled "circumcision sheets.") The tea kettle lives on the stove.

The mixer, blender, food processor, and other appliances live inside cabinets.

If I had tins labeled circumcision sheets, I'd have them out on the counter too.  They'd go very well with my knife block:

http://www.amazon.com/5-Piece-Unique-Designed-Raffaele-Iannello/dp/B000IXINLC/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1385499634&sr=1-1&keywords=knife+block+man

:D

mime

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »
I don't have a a coffee pot, either (don't drink it).
I don't have an electric can opener, and until reading this board I thought I was unusual in that aspect.
I don't have any type of utensil crock or rack, and no spice rack.

I have a knife block, toaster, and banana tree (the microwave is installed over the cooktop).

(My kitchen counter also has a cell phone, DS, car keys, kids' homework, half-drunk mug of tea, miscellaneous glasses of almost-gone water, an empty plastic bag, peanut butter and jelly toddler smudges and random other things (mostly sticky things), so thank goodness we're only discussing the things we *don't* have...)

magicdomino

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »
I now have a substantial chunk of counter taken up by a new toaster oven.  Ever read an object's description, note the dimensions (Six slices of toast!  12 inch pizza!), read "It's big" in the reviews, and still manage to be surprised when the object showed up?  Yup.  This is a toaster oven for serious toaster oven people.  :)

It's sharing a space with the rice cooker.  The Keureg coffee maker has been banished to the basement.  I have coffee drinkers over only once a year, and it's less trouble to heat a cup of water or milk in the microwave than to make tea and hot chocolate in the Keureg.