Author Topic: Embarrassed I spent money onů..  (Read 16894 times)

Lynn2000

Re: Embarrassed I spent money onů..
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »
My mom and I fell for a sales pitch at a store for one of those permanent lint rollers, where you just wash the crud off and it's sticky again. You basically can use it once, then you have to wash it off with soap and let it dry, and then it's sticky again. So it works in one sense, but the time you have to spend maintaining it and waiting for it to dry completely cancels out the utility. We own it in three sizes.  ::)
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »
An HP pda back in the day. I still have it, and it still works but what a waste of $400.  :-[

LadyJ3000

• Cinemania
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 02:43:25 PM »
 Sweet Valley High books off eBay. I comfort myself by saying that I am getting them to review for my blog.
My Media Blog
http://ladyj3000.blogspot.com
Updated Weekly

Emmy

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »
One of those auto-cleaning litter boxes. 

On paper it seemed like a great idea.  In reality, it made the whole litter process much more messy and foul than just scooping a normal litter box was.  Plus it scared the cat.

I had a friend who had an expensive auto-cleaning box.  I was over when the box was self cleaning and the kitty pooped on the floor.

poundcake

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »
Sweet Valley High books off eBay. I comfort myself by saying that I am getting them to review for my blog.

Don't EVER be embarrassed about that. Was Jessica Wakefield embarrassed when she pretended she knew who Horowitz was so Suzanne Devlin's hot NYC boyfriend would take her out on a date?

veronaz

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »
In a way, I got my money's worth in education -- never pay someone to give you a job, that's not how it works.

True, and I also paid an employment agency )they did get me a good job).  But this was way back in the day, and it's amazing how common that was.  Sometimes the employer paid, but they didn't like to.  I recall seeing ads in the classified "Girl Friday - Fee paid" or "Will Split Fee".  Aging myself.  ;)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
In a way, I got my money's worth in education -- never pay someone to give you a job, that's not how it works.

True, and I also paid an employment agency )they did get me a good job).  But this was way back in the day, and it's amazing how common that was.  Sometimes the employer paid, but they didn't like to.  I recall seeing ads in the classified "Girl Friday - Fee paid" or "Will Split Fee".  Aging myself.  ;)

Yep, true. I was dumb. I had just graduated from college, and was pretty full of myself (who wouldn't want to hire ME!).  ::) I saw an ad from an employment agency for a job that looked good. I got hired, but the money I had to pay...grrrr. And it turns out that the lady from the employment agency had a daughter at the company that hired me...suspicious, much? The job was entry level, so not worth the fee.

I never did that again!

veronaz

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »
jaxsue, nah, not dumb.  Just young and naive.....we all have to learn life lessons. :)

Twirly

• Your Pop Filter
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »

Don't EVER be embarrassed about that. Was Jessica Wakefield embarrassed when she pretended she knew who Horowitz was so Suzanne Devlin's hot NYC boyfriend would take her out on a date?

CRUD MONKEYS! poundcake you just made me laugh like a loon thank you so much for that.

Perhaps you would be interested in the Sweet Valley High book-by-book recap and drinking game...   http://foreveryoungadult.com/2011/03/11/spring-break-99-sweet-valley-high-45-50/

ETA - so that's what makes the filter say Crud Monkeys...I've always wondered.

Demons dipped in adorable

My snarky alter ego co-writes a pop culture blog: http://yourpopfilter.com/

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 05:05:13 PM »

CRUD MONKEYS! poundcake you just made me laugh like a loon thank you so much for that.

Perhaps you would be interested in the Sweet Valley High book-by-book recap and drinking game...   http://foreveryoungadult.com/2011/03/11/spring-break-99-sweet-valley-high-45-50/

ETA - so that's what makes the filter say Crud Monkeys...I've always wondered.

There's also this one...not that I ever read those books.  Nope.  Not me.  No sir.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

heartmug

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »
A high end restaurant that everyone was raving about and I thought DH and I just had to eat there.  Thankfully I only did that once.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »
When Gish and I first got together we made a special date night dinner, complete with these special potatoes you could bake in the microwave, for only $1 each! What a deal! I think it was Scritzy who pointed out that any potato could be baked in the microwave. I still laugh about that one sometimes. We were so proud of ourselves and our special potatoes.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Stormtreader

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 06:28:10 AM »
I could never make the calls and thus ended my dream of running from an alien/monster/zombie attack -- it's still on my bucket list though.

Keep your eye on places like Kickstarter - I did "running from aliens" earlier this year because the film "Kaleidoscope Man" needed a free crowd for their city scene and were shooting in my local city. It was a lot of fun!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 07:00:32 AM »
A high end restaurant that everyone was raving about and I thought DH and I just had to eat there.  Thankfully I only did that once.

Yeah, I've done that one as well....maybe a few times  ::).  IME, The service is typically terrible and the food is always mediocre at best, not to mention, insanely overpriced.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Hillia

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »
Normally when I get a telemarketing phone call, I say, 'No thank you' and hang up immediately.  For some reason, I failed to do this one time and got roped into magazine subscriptions.  When all was said and done, I'm paying $40 a month for 5 magazines; payments go for 2 years but the subscriptions run for 4.  And I didn't win the ski boat. :-(

Once DH and I treated DS and two of our friends to a tapas restaurant that everyone raved about.  $55 per person, plus drinks, and we barely got any meat.  I don't know if it was a slow night and so the manager was holding back, or what, but the waiters with the meat would come out, serve us each a tiny piece (like a McNugget sized piece) then disappear, not to return for 30 minutes.  Refills on the side dishes brought a spoonful of beans or 2 pieces of plantain.  I was not happy.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools