Author Topic: Embarrassed I spent money onů..  (Read 17245 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Embarrassed I spent money onů..
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
Speaking of restaurants - The Melting Pot. Some friends wanted to try it, so 4 of us, including myself, trotted ourselves off. We got two of the "meals for 2" three courses; cheese and stuff, meat and broth, and then dessert. When it was all said and done, the bill was ridiculous, and the food just decent.  Nothing to write home about.

Of course, I think my judgment was clouded by the fact my one friend blurted out in an email, "oh we can treat Kathy, since its her birthday" - wihtout having any clue how much it would cost. I, however, had looked at the menu, and knew it wasn't cheap. So I think with tip, our share, including Kathy's, came to something like $80 each. so about $250 total. So not worth it, so I've never been back. I have my own fondue pot, and I can make my own for way less.

Miss March

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »
I'm embarrassed I spent money on that treadmill that's gathering dust in the back room. 
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Anything that landed in the "Appliance Graveyard"

Dehydrator
Juicer
Fry Baby
some kind of fold over pocket sandwich maker
Electric Wok
Electric rice cooker

My ex loved all these "cooking" things to same me time & energy in the kitchen.  The juicer and the rice cooker were never taken out of their boxes.  He used the fry baby & sandwich thing - I got to clean them.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »
Anything that landed in the "Appliance Graveyard"

Dehydrator
Juicer
Fry Baby
some kind of fold over pocket sandwich maker
Electric Wok
Electric rice cooker

My ex loved all these "cooking" things to same me time & energy in the kitchen.  The juicer and the rice cooker were never taken out of their boxes.  He used the fry baby & sandwich thing - I got to clean them.

I've had some of these as well. I've found that anything that won't multi-task doesn't come home to my kitchen.

Hillia

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »
I have to say I loved my rice cooker.  I have difficulty sometimes cooking rice without scorching or undercooking it, so a rice cooker was ideal for me - set it and forget it, as they say. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LazyDaisy

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
I could never make the calls and thus ended my dream of running from an alien/monster/zombie attack -- it's still on my bucket list though.

Keep your eye on places like Kickstarter - I did "running from aliens" earlier this year because the film "Kaleidoscope Man" needed a free crowd for their city scene and were shooting in my local city. It was a lot of fun!
Good to know. I had no idea Kickstarter would have calls for movie extras.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Ś Douglas Adams

jmarvellous

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
I could never make the calls and thus ended my dream of running from an alien/monster/zombie attack -- it's still on my bucket list though.

Keep your eye on places like Kickstarter - I did "running from aliens" earlier this year because the film "Kaleidoscope Man" needed a free crowd for their city scene and were shooting in my local city. It was a lot of fun!

Craigslist also has actor calls (though apparently they're almost all for dirty pictures in the end). My brother took a summer to try his hand at acting, and he had a hard time sorting through them, but got a few extra roles and some speaking parts in things like a TV pilot through CL, Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Nothing any of us will ever see, necessarily, but an interesting experience nonetheless.

I like my waffle iron, but I won't be sucked into other single-use appliances. I even sold the cake ball maker and magic bullet people have given me over the years. No space = no need.

I watched my husband get suckered into a "lifetime replacement guarantee" screen protector for his phone. He's actually gotten it replaced once for free already, but now we're in a new city and I'm pretty sure we won't be able to find a vendor at all if he needs another one (though his phone is more likely to be obsolete before he'll need a new screen protector). Luckily, that wasn't a huge expense, so I didn't even attempt to argue with it.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »
Speaking of restaurants - The Melting Pot. Some friends wanted to try it, so 4 of us, including myself, trotted ourselves off. We got two of the "meals for 2" three courses; cheese and stuff, meat and broth, and then dessert. When it was all said and done, the bill was ridiculous, and the food just decent.  Nothing to write home about.

Of course, I think my judgment was clouded by the fact my one friend blurted out in an email, "oh we can treat Kathy, since its her birthday" - wihtout having any clue how much it would cost. I, however, had looked at the menu, and knew it wasn't cheap. So I think with tip, our share, including Kathy's, came to something like $80 each. so about $250 total. So not worth it, so I've never been back. I have my own fondue pot, and I can make my own for way less.

I've been there twice (long time ago). Like you, I found it to be underwhelming. Too expensive for not enough food. The second time I went there it was set up by my then-church (don't attend anywhere now). It was a lady's night out, with dessert at the MP. It was $5, not much, but what happened was we each got about 5 pieces of stuff to dip into the pots. Small pieces, like small slices of banana and a marshmallow or 2. Not impressed, and I won't go there again!

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
This stupid thing.

I blame my husband.  He saw it and of course figured this would be the solution to our mismatched tupperware/lids issue.  What he didn't take into account was that the thing barely fit into the cabinet, none of the containers actually held real food shaped items, the lids didn't seal tight so forget trying to use them for lunches, and I finally had enough and threw the whole thing except for two of the tall ones in the garbage and replaced everything with the big Rubbermaid set that locks together.

The two tall ones I saved are REALLY good for corralling extra taco bell hot sauce packets in the fridge.  And that's ALL they are good for.

He is also no longer allowed in WalMart alone anymore.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »

Craigslist also has actor calls (though apparently they're almost all for dirty pictures in the end). My brother took a summer to try his hand at acting, and he had a hard time sorting through them, but got a few extra roles and some speaking parts in things like a TV pilot through CL, Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Nothing any of us will ever see, necessarily, but an interesting experience nonetheless.

I like my waffle iron, but I won't be sucked into other single-use appliances. I even sold the cake ball maker and magic bullet people have given me over the years. No space = no need.

I watched my husband get suckered into a "lifetime replacement guarantee" screen protector for his phone. He's actually gotten it replaced once for free already, but now we're in a new city and I'm pretty sure we won't be able to find a vendor at all if he needs another one (though his phone is more likely to be obsolete before he'll need a new screen protector). Luckily, that wasn't a huge expense, so I didn't even attempt to argue with it.

I have no desire to be an actress. I just want to be a body in the background of a reputable movie that has a good chance of being seen in theaters. Bonus points if I get to be dead...or undead  >:D 

Back to topic: I'm a sucker for craft and office supplies. I can't even explain my obsession with paper products, especially those expensive ($1 per sheet) fancy scrapbooking papers found at Michael's. I don't even scrapbook and I have a cupboard full of colored, patterned and textured paper squirreled away for some eventual use I haven't determined yet. [Sigh] Once upon a time paper manufacturers would give out free paper sample books to graphic designers and printers, now I have to pay for them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Ś Douglas Adams

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 02:05:18 PM »
This stupid thing.

I blame my husband.  He saw it and of course figured this would be the solution to our mismatched tupperware/lids issue.  What he didn't take into account was that the thing barely fit into the cabinet, none of the containers actually held real food shaped items, the lids didn't seal tight so forget trying to use them for lunches, and I finally had enough and threw the whole thing except for two of the tall ones in the garbage and replaced everything with the big Rubbermaid set that locks together.

The two tall ones I saved are REALLY good for corralling extra taco bell hot sauce packets in the fridge.  And that's ALL they are good for.

I LOVE my STUPID THING! 

I got two on a clearance rack for $5 each

I put up all my good Tupperware and let my kids destroy set one and the second one I put in a travel trailer (best $5 ever spent!)

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
This stupid thing.

I LOVE my STUPID THING! 

I got two on a clearance rack for $5 each

I put up all my good Tupperware and let my kids destroy set one and the second one I put in a travel trailer (best $5 ever spent!)

Now I wish I had saved it - I would have sent it to you!  Along with $5 for getting it out of my house!  ;D  ;D

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »
This stupid thing.

I'm glad I read this because I was considering purchasing that very set. Now I know better. Thanks!  :)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

staceym

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »
okay I'll confess

Yogi Toes (I think that is what they are called).  things you put on your feet and support to help callus, corns, hammer toes, etc.  All is did was cause me to get some sort of irritaton from sweaty plastic.

Lint Lizard - geez what was I think - hard unbendable plastic that won't fit in your dryer's lint traps

and one that I went :doh: after I left the eye doctor's office.  I just got a new pair of glasses earlier this year and got the antiglare/anti scratch coating..but the thing was, I decided to go with the 2-year warranty.  BUt then I thought, my next eye doctor appointment is in a year, what if I need a new prescription by then  ???

poundcake

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 02:20:34 PM »
Sweet Valley High books off eBay. I comfort myself by saying that I am getting them to review for my blog.

Don't EVER be embarrassed about that. Was Jessica Wakefield embarrassed when she pretended she knew who Horowitz was so Suzanne Devlin's hot NYC boyfriend would take her out on a date?

CRUD MONKEYS! poundcake you just made me laugh like a loon thank you so much for that.

Perhaps you would be interested in the Sweet Valley High book-by-book recap and drinking game...   http://foreveryoungadult.com/2011/03/11/spring-break-99-sweet-valley-high-45-50/

ETA - so that's what makes the filter say Crud Monkeys...I've always wondered.

FYA and 1Bruce1 are fantastic places to procrastinate!

And I, too, fall prey to kitchen gadgetry. The Magic Bullet was my downfall. I recently replaced it with an immersion blender. Much better.