Author Topic: Embarrassed I spent money onů..  (Read 19148 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Embarrassed I spent money onů..
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »
Sweet Valley High books off eBay. I comfort myself by saying that I am getting them to review for my blog.

Don't EVER be embarrassed about that. Was Jessica Wakefield embarrassed when she pretended she knew who Horowitz was so Suzanne Devlin's hot NYC boyfriend would take her out on a date?

CRUD MONKEYS! poundcake you just made me laugh like a loon thank you so much for that.

Perhaps you would be interested in the Sweet Valley High book-by-book recap and drinking game...   http://foreveryoungadult.com/2011/03/11/spring-break-99-sweet-valley-high-45-50/

ETA - so that's what makes the filter say Crud Monkeys...I've always wondered.

FYA and 1Bruce1 are fantastic places to procrastinate!

And I, too, fall prey to kitchen gadgetry. The Magic Bullet was my downfall. I recently replaced it with an immersion blender. Much better.

If you know you will use the single use gadget a lot, i say go for it, but if not, save your $$.

i also have an immersiaon blender. LOVE IT>

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
An HP pda back in the day. I still have it, and it still works but what a waste of $400.  :-[

We have two of them...

mumma to KMC

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »
jaxsue, nah, not dumb.  Just young and naive.....we all have to learn life lessons. :)

My husband took a job we had to pay for ;) He was desperate for something that wasn't factory work but in the area we were living in, with a Big 10 university, a major hospital system, and a lot of white collar jobs, you had to know someone to get into those jobs. He finally found something and thought it was worth it to pay for the job. He made decent money and we were able to pay for our wedding, but a month after our wedding he came to me and said he could not do another day at that job, as he was being trained the "above board way" followed by the "but the company expects you to do it this way way", so we talked and he quit. He managed to find few other jobs in the area before we just decided to move away and try our luck elsewhere.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
An HP pda back in the day. I still have it, and it still works but what a waste of $400.  :-[

We have two of them...

I feel better now!

Transitions lenses. Ridiculously expensive, caused my lenses to be static to everything, and don't darken in a car unless it is a convertible. Never again!

I love my immersion blender.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
I have two year warrenties on my glasses, but even though I get an exam every year, my prescription doesn't change much.

You'll have to pry my vitamix out of my cold dead hands, but I love my magic bullet knockoff.  I got it from Boscovs for $3.  I use it to make personal sized smoothies for breakfast or a snack. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
I love my Transitions lenses!  I get frames with a clip on sunglasses clip for in the car but have the lenses darken when I'm out in the garden or blowing snow.  I don't wear mine everyday and never wear them for driving more than just around town, though.  I wear contacts most days and wear my glasses kicking around the house, for the most part.

I'm embarrassed I spent money on a match making service about 8 years ago.  45 and still single - only had 1 introduction that panned out for more than just a first date and it only went to a second date.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

andi

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2013, 04:07:16 PM »
Sigh -  I bought those stupid pads you stick on your feet to "draw out toxins".  (blush)

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:38 PM »
Sigh -  I bought those stupid pads you stick on your feet to "draw out toxins".  (blush)

Don't blush.  I almost did too until my son saw what I was doing and busted a gut laughing.  Kids - they think they're so smart! 

To his credit, he never brough it up again or told my husband.  :D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »
^ He needs some of his favorite dessert for saving you money and face!

lilfox

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »
I guess it's not embarrassing, exactly, but I have certainly wasted my share of money on body lotions and perfumes over the years.  I just don't wear them and even though I stopped buying lotions at all, I'm still accumulating them via stocking stuffers from well-meaning relatives and hotel lotions that I used once and felt obligated to keep.

My mom got suckered in to the Dead Sea Salt thing from a mall kiosk/pushy vendor - she bought the $$$ kits for herself and me. I did use the cuticle oil once in a while, but yeah, you can get that for way cheaper anywhere else.

She also bought four "Smoothie Makers" off a home shopping network.  She kept one (it broke) and gave one to me (it also broke), and then expected me to give the other two as bridal shower gifts or something (oh, and pay her back for them).  Er, it was a piece of junk blender that basically could ONLY do smoothies due to its design, so no thanks. Also, you could find them at regular home goods stores for cheaper.  I think the last two eventually were donated to Goodwill, unopened.

My worst money management moment was deciding to have my first car's brakes checked out by a chain place - naturally they found all the brakes needed immediately replacement for $$$, and being young and naive, I said Okay.  When I got home (leaving my car behind) and called home, my dad was like, they're charging you WHAT??  I called the place right away to tell them to stop, but of course "they had already started so my car would be unsafe if they tried to put it back together now."  Funny, the guy then offered me a 10% discount for no reason.  I couldn't prove it at the time but I'm pretty sure they didn't do a thing to my brakes since there was no difference in the before and after handling.  An expensive way to learn to ALWAYS get a second (or third) opinion about any repairs.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
When I was younger and spineless I spent money on some of those charities that call you up soliciting funds, and even a door-to-door magazine salesman once. As far as I know none of them was actually a scam, but I felt so dumb for not being able to figure out how to say "No, not doing it, thanks." Multiple times! ::) Now if charities call I say, "I'm sorry, I don't donate over the phone," and I hang up. I have my chosen things I donate to via my chosen method, and that's that.
~Lynn2000

Curious Cat

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2013, 07:02:20 PM »
When Gish and I first got together we made a special date night dinner, complete with these special potatoes you could bake in the microwave, for only $1 each! What a deal! I think it was Scritzy who pointed out that any potato could be baked in the microwave. I still laugh about that one sometimes. We were so proud of ourselves and our special potatoes.

In your defense the special potatoes tend to be bigger and "fresher" than the regular ones (at least in my grocery store)

Sweet Valley High books off eBay. I comfort myself by saying that I am getting them to review for my blog.

Don't EVER be embarrassed about that. Was Jessica Wakefield embarrassed when she pretended she knew who Horowitz was so Suzanne Devlin's hot NYC boyfriend would take her out on a date?

I laughed my butt off reading this - never be ashamed of YA books!

oogyda

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
When Gish and I first got together we made a special date night dinner, complete with these special potatoes you could bake in the microwave, for only $1 each! What a deal! I think it was Scritzy who pointed out that any potato could be baked in the microwave. I still laugh about that one sometimes. We were so proud of ourselves and our special potatoes.

In your defense the special potatoes tend to be bigger and "fresher" than the regular ones (at least in my grocery store)

I'm not sure how a potato can be "fresher".  They're picked once a year and stored in bunkers.  Unless things have changed drastically in the years since I worked the potato fields in SE Idaho. 

I guess they could be "hot house" potatoes...grown indoors under climate and light controlled conditions?
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Curious Cat

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »

I'm not sure how a potato can be "fresher".  They're picked once a year and stored in bunkers.  Unless things have changed drastically in the years since I worked the potato fields in SE Idaho. 

I guess they could be "hot house" potatoes...grown indoors under climate and light controlled conditions?

I could be using the wrong terminology.  The "special" potatoes always seem to be consistant in size and texture when at the same time the "regular" potatoes might be much smaller and/or have soft spots.

oogyda

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »

I could be using the wrong terminology.  The "special" potatoes always seem to be consistant in size and texture when at the same time the "regular" potatoes might be much smaller and/or have soft spots.

Potatoes, in particular the russet potatoes that Idaho is famous for, end up varying a great deal in size.  The "baked potato" setting on many microwaves would be for a specific size.  So, maybe they're the ones that are that meet that *standard*?
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.