Author Topic: Embarrassed I spent money onů..  (Read 17093 times)

Emmy

Re: Embarrassed I spent money onů..
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2013, 08:25:21 AM »
When I was younger and spineless I spent money on some of those charities that call you up soliciting funds, and even a door-to-door magazine salesman once. As far as I know none of them was actually a scam, but I felt so dumb for not being able to figure out how to say "No, not doing it, thanks." Multiple times! ::) Now if charities call I say, "I'm sorry, I don't donate over the phone," and I hang up. I have my chosen things I donate to via my chosen method, and that's that.

I had donated to a few of those over the phone charities too when I was young.  Then I started getting phone calls all the time, as often as 2 or 3 times a day asking for money for a charity.  I was so disgusted that I didn't answer my phone if I didn't recognize the number and never gave to those charities again.  I later heard that telemarketing companies keep the vast majority of the profit, although some is given to charity.  After all, the people who harass you during dinner with phone calls have to get paid.

A life lesson for my DD's when they get older would be to expect these calls and expect people to be pushy.  If they get a call soliciting money, say 'no thank you' and 'please take me off your list' as soon as possible.  If the person continues the spiel after this, it is not rude to hang up.

exitzero

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2013, 11:10:11 AM »
I bought the entire original series Star Trek on video tape. (One of those deals where they send you 2 tapes every month and charge a ridiculous amount of money. They are still taking up an entire book shelf, most unopened. And I don't have a video player anymore.

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »
This stupid thing.

I blame my husband.  He saw it and of course figured this would be the solution to our mismatched tupperware/lids issue.  What he didn't take into account was that the thing barely fit into the cabinet, none of the containers actually held real food shaped items, the lids didn't seal tight so forget trying to use them for lunches, and I finally had enough and threw the whole thing except for two of the tall ones in the garbage and replaced everything with the big Rubbermaid set that locks together.

The two tall ones I saved are REALLY good for corralling extra taco bell hot sauce packets in the fridge.  And that's ALL they are good for.

He is also no longer allowed in WalMart alone anymore.

I LOVE my STUPID THING! 

I got two on a clearance rack for $5 each

I put up all my good Tupperware and let my kids destroy set one and the second one I put in a travel trailer (best $5 ever spent!)

Yeah, I've got that stupid thing and I love it too.  Works very well in my tiny kitchen that has little storage space. It fits perfectly in a cabinet above my refrigerator, it spins so I can get what size I need easily, and the containers generally work well for storing the majority of my leftovers - but then, what's leftover at my house tends to fall into the vegetable/soup/pasta/rice/sauce part of the meal.

Yet another fine example of what is one woman's meat is another woman's poison.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
When I was younger I ended up buying a magazine subscription from a girl doing the hard sell at my door.  I have no idea now why I didn't just turn her away as she even said if she was the top seller or something she got a free trip to Europe.  Why was I subsidizing this with a magazine I didn't even want for $40-50?  Luckily she mentioned the 3 day "change your mind" period even though she asked me not to after she left, I did call and cancel.  So at least I got it right before it cost me any money.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
This stupid thing.

I blame my husband.  He saw it and of course figured this would be the solution to our mismatched tupperware/lids issue.  What he didn't take into account was that the thing barely fit into the cabinet, none of the containers actually held real food shaped items, the lids didn't seal tight so forget trying to use them for lunches, and I finally had enough and threw the whole thing except for two of the tall ones in the garbage and replaced everything with the big Rubbermaid set that locks together.

The two tall ones I saved are REALLY good for corralling extra taco bell hot sauce packets in the fridge.  And that's ALL they are good for.

A few years ago someone gave me that for Christmas. I tried to use it, but I just didn't find it to be handy. And I had a small kitchen, so it took up valuable space. IIRC I eventually donated it to a thrift store.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
Did you ever spend your hard-earned money on something really dumb then later (maybe even years down the line) ask "What was I thinking?!ö  :-\

Hereĺs my confession:
In 1991 the morning radio station I listened to had a popular ôpsychicö as a guest.  People were calling in (supposedly) and she was telling them amazing things about their past, and also predicting things which would happen in the future.  They gave a number your could call to meet with the woman at a (nice) hotel for a 30 minute consultation.  I called and made an appointment ľ the fee was $90.

As I think back, it was such baloney.  Nothing she said came true, but I dunno, maybe she was telling me things I really wanted to happen.  By the way, I checked and today that $90 would be $154.00.  Wasted.  Gulp.  :-[

I remember telling my older brother about it but I didn't tell him how much I paid.  He was laughing too hard about me even calling to make an appointment.   ;D

Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm embarrassed to admit that I consulted a psychic once, a few years ago, when I was going through a really difficult time (divorce, sole caretaker for a son with autism). I am well educated and, I think, somewhat intelligent. We all make mistakes!  :)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »
jaxsue, nah, not dumb.  Just young and naive.....we all have to learn life lessons. :)

I was naive. I wish I knew then what I know now!  :)

SoCalVal

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »
I have to say I loved my rice cooker.  I have difficulty sometimes cooking rice without scorching or undercooking it, so a rice cooker was ideal for me - set it and forget it, as they say.

Asian person here - I grew up with rice cookers, have owned several and use mine on a regular basis.  Yes, it's single-purpose, but we get a lot of use out of that single purpose.  Just about all other Asians I know not only grew up with but also have rice cookers and use them all the time.  Maybe it's a cultural thing? (BIL, who is not Asian and didn't grow up eating a lot of rice, has a great rice cooker he tried to give me a few years ago that he won but almost never used; if it weren't so small, I would've taken it from him)

SoCalVal

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »
Normally when I get a telemarketing phone call, I say, 'No thank you' and hang up immediately.  For some reason, I failed to do this one time and got roped into magazine subscriptions.  When all was said and done, I'm paying $40 a month for 5 magazines; payments go for 2 years but the subscriptions run for 4.  And I didn't win the ski boat. :-(

Once DH and I treated DS and two of our friends to a tapas restaurant that everyone raved about.  $55 per person, plus drinks, and we barely got any meat.  I don't know if it was a slow night and so the manager was holding back, or what, but the waiters with the meat would come out, serve us each a tiny piece (like a McNugget sized piece) then disappear, not to return for 30 minutes.  Refills on the side dishes brought a spoonful of beans or 2 pieces of plantain.  I was not happy.

Sounds like one of those Brazilian steakhouses?  Sometimes, I find that I have to say, "Please give me more so they can't get away with stuff like that."

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
Ginzu steak knives.  :-[
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Girlie

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »
My most embarrassing item, off the top of my head, was a "specialty" hair straightener from a mall kiosk. I won't say what I paid, but I could have gotten it MUCH cheaper online.

Silly thing is, I knew at the time I was getting ripped off. I just really wanted to do something nice and buy something expensive for myself.

I should have bought jewelry. 

exitzero

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
I have to say I loved my rice cooker.  I have difficulty sometimes cooking rice without scorching or undercooking it, so a rice cooker was ideal for me - set it and forget it, as they say.

Asian person here - I grew up with rice cookers, have owned several and use mine on a regular basis.  Yes, it's single-purpose, but we get a lot of use out of that single purpose.  Just about all other Asians I know not only grew up with but also have rice cookers and use them all the time.  Maybe it's a cultural thing? (BIL, who is not Asian and didn't grow up eating a lot of rice, has a great rice cooker he tried to give me a few years ago that he won but almost never used; if it weren't so small, I would've taken it from him)
I haven't seen it myself, but I understand Roger Ebert wrote a book full of recipes you can make in a rice cooker.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
This stupid thing.

I LOVE my STUPID THING! 

I put up all my good Tupperware and let my kids destroy set one and the second one I put in a travel trailer (best $5 ever spent!)

I too LOVE this thing. I consider it one of the best purchases i have ever made in my whole life in fact. I slowly phased out almost all my other containers (left them at people's homes or other potluck situations when bringing food, etc) and now finally have a neat organized cupboard. Yes it took a while to get use to the idea of storing something like chicken and rice with the chicken breast or whatever vertical in the container, but other then that, its AWESOME. I have recommended it to other people several times.

I use my rice cooker for all sorts of grains. Quinoa, bulgar wheat, old fashioned oats, etc. There is no rule that you can only use rice in it, any grain works IME.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:06:19 PM by WillyNilly »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2013, 06:36:24 PM »
When Gish and I first got together we made a special date night dinner, complete with these special potatoes you could bake in the microwave, for only $1 each! What a deal! I think it was Scritzy who pointed out that any potato could be baked in the microwave. I still laugh about that one sometimes. We were so proud of ourselves and our special potatoes.

In your defense the special potatoes tend to be bigger and "fresher" than the regular ones (at least in my grocery store)

I'm not sure how a potato can be "fresher".  They're picked once a year and stored in bunkers.  Unless things have changed drastically in the years since I worked the potato fields in SE Idaho. 

I guess they could be "hot house" potatoes...grown indoors under climate and light controlled conditions?

I could be using the wrong terminology.  The "special" potatoes always seem to be consistant in size and texture when at the same time the "regular" potatoes might be much smaller and/or have soft spots.

Potatoes, in particular the russet potatoes that Idaho is famous for, end up varying a great deal in size.  The "baked potato" setting on many microwaves would be for a specific size.  So, maybe they're the ones that are that meet that *standard*?

I'm betting that the "special potatoes" that hobish is talking about are the ones that are individually wrapped in plastic.

They are the standard russet baking potatoes and, if you look at the basket in the store, they are all pretty much the same size. This is a "must" for these special potatoes because the cooking instructions on the plastic wrap says "Microwave for 7-8 minutes." They are all medium-sized, perfect for an individual serving.

The potatoes are clean, no need to wash. Simply pop the wrapped potato in the microwave. Seven minutes later, there's a wonderfully steamed baked potato.

The ones at my grocery store are 68 cents each. I have two of them on my counter. ;)

Yes. Any potato can be "baked" in a microwave.

The pre-wrapped "special potatoes" are so convenient for a one person quick meal (I usually steam some veggies at the same time) and they seem to last longer (storage-wise) because they are sealed.

I love my "special potatoes!"

hobish -- If I'm right about your special potatoes being the individually wrapped kind, please don't be embarrassed about buying them! Otherwise I'll need to go into a corner somewhere and hide because I buy them often!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »
This stupid thing.

I LOVE my STUPID THING! 

I too LOVE this thing. I consider it one of the best purchases i have ever made in my whole life in fact. I slowly phased out almost all my other containers (left them at people's homes or other potluck situations when bringing food, etc) and now finally have a neat organized cupboard. Yes it took a while to get use to the idea of storing something like chicken and rice with the chicken breast or whatever vertical in the container, but other then that, its AWESOME. I have recommended it to other people several times.

I use my rice cooker for all sorts of grains. Quinoa, bulgar wheat, old fashioned oats, etc. There is no rule that you can only use rice in it, any grain works IME.

I've been waffling about buying a rice cooker for this very reason.  I assumed that it was only good at cooking rice not other grains.  I actually don't eat a lot of white rice, but I do make quinoa, wild rice, and other grain mixes a lot.

Thanks for giving me a reason to go shopping :)