Author Topic: Embarrassed I spent money onů..  (Read 19738 times)

o_gal

Re: Embarrassed I spent money onů..
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2013, 08:33:21 AM »
PSA: If you want to buy a toy in hopes of it increasing in value, don't give it to your child for Christmas and expect them to never, ever play with it.

On a slightly different tangent, if your kids get toys for Christmas or their birthdays, please let them play with them. Don't stick them up a shelf to be played with later, unless you already have established a pattern of actually doing that.

While we were growing up, the neighbor kids always had to take half of the toys and games that they received as presents and put them in a closet, to be gotten out and played with "later." When they were young adults, their Mom passed away and my Mom went to help their Dad clean out the house a short time after the funeral. In the closet they found dozens of toys and games, all dutifully saved for "later." Hundreds of dollars and possible fun playing time wasted.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »
^ That is one of the saddest things I ever heard.

magicdomino

« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »
The trick with collectables becoming valuable is that they can't start as collectables.  They have to start as more or less disposible. That's why old Barbies in mint condition are now valuable:  so few survived haircuts, beheading, dog-chewing, little brothers, etc.  That's also why Beanie Babies are now near worthless:  most were carefully preserved with tags, tag protectors, individual plastic boxes.  Sure, you got the occasional dog toy or cat pee incident, but not nearly enough to lower the supply of near-mint condition Beanies.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »
The trick with collectables becoming valuable is that they can't start as collectables.  They have to start as more or less disposible. That's why old Barbies in mint condition are now valuable:  so few survived haircuts, beheading, dog-chewing, little brothers, etc.  That's also why Beanie Babies are now near worthless:  most were carefully preserved with tags, tag protectors, individual plastic boxes.  Sure, you got the occasional dog toy or cat pee incident, but not nearly enough to lower the supply of near-mint condition Beanies.

I think every collector should read this paragraph, and engrave it onto their collecting shelves.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

courtsmad25

« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »
Embarrased that I spent my hard earned money on....

Milli Vanilli Concert tickets: 4 of them!!  ??? D'oh

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
. . . can I interest anyone in some Star Trek plates? (it's a sickness I tell you)

Oof, I forgot about the Star Trek plates.  I can forgive myself the Beanie Babies, because I never expected to get rich off of them, and they are still cute in small batches (I rotate the display.)  The Hallmark Christmas Ornaments are harder to justify since I don't normally put up a large Christmas tree.  But what was I thinking when I bought the Star Trek collector plates?  Currently they are collecting dust up in the attic.  When/if I ever move out of this house, I may leave the plates behind in a corner, just to bemuse future owners.

PM me a quantity and a price, I may be interested in taking them off your hands - not for value later, for DISPLAY !!!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »

oooooohh gurl.... :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »

oooooohh gurl.... :)

You can always blame it on the rain.

>:D

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »

Did they actually sing?  :)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »

Did they actually sing?  :)

Depends on what you define as "singing"

Miss Understood

« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »
The problem with buying toys hoping that they'll be very valuable some day is that it takes great self control not to actually open the box or clip the tags, and it can't really be used and enjoyed without losing it's value.

When I was a kid, one year for Christmas I got some special-edition Barbie. I was instructed to put it up on the shelf and not play with it, so that it would increase in value. I practiced excellent self control for several months, even though her dress was sooo pretty. One day, I was bored and decided to open it. The reaming I got for opening that package! I never even got the Barbie out; it was taken away and carefully glued back together before going back up on a shelf.

Ten or so years later, my mother finally sold it. At a garage sale. For $1.

PSA: If you want to buy a toy in hopes of it increasing in value, don't give it to your child for Christmas and expect them to never, ever play with it.

CakeBeret, that story makes me so sad for little you!  That is a really mean thing to do to a child under the guise of "gifting" - yeah, great gift of disappointment and frustration.   :(  I think you should go right out and buy yourself the sparkliest, prettiest special edition Barbie you can find and play with her to your heart's content.  (No, I'm not an adult woman who owns 2 special edition Barbies (not in the box), why do you ask?)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »
Slightly O/T, but we have a friend with the grouchiest dad ever. We always get him a Barbie for his birthday, which he secretly loves. The girliest, frilliest Barbie we can find.

I always buy a Barbie for the Toys for Tots bin, along with a few board games and some Matchbox cars.

Miss Understood

« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »
Slightly O/T, but we have a friend with the grouchiest dad ever. We always get him a Barbie for his birthday, which he secretly loves. The girliest, frilliest Barbie we can find.

I always buy a Barbie for the Toys for Tots bin, along with a few board games and some Matchbox cars.

Aw, that's cute about the grouchy dad.  I always buy Barbies for Toys for Tots too! 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »
I love kitchen gadgets but I laughed silly about the mini pie bakers, cake pop, and donut bakers. But home sick one day I got sucked into the Good Morning America deals and steals and bought a corn dog maker. My DH laughed himself silly. It's aweful and doesnt even fit a standard hotdig in the baking well. I'm waiting for the white elephant sell fir my sons class to get rid of it.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
I bought some naked Barbies off eBay to play with sew clothes for...just in case I have a granddaughter instead of a grandson next.  It takes TIME to make a complete wardrobe for that doll...and too many outfits is never a problem for Barbie!

In the meantime - I like sewing new clothes for Barbie...and they have to be tried on to make sure that they fit.  One of them is supersized and one is "my sized" (18" and 36" - so 1.5x the usual size and 3x the usual size).  The My Size Barbie is a proportionate size 10 Misses (USA) and lots of seamstresses sew mockups of final designs at that size (quarter scale) to see how they are going to turn out looking...

In the meantime - I really need to figure out what to do with the thousands of dollars in unsewn fabric, thread, needles, embroidery thread, stabilizer, ribbon, tapestry, sewing machine carry cases (two - one bought on clearance), scissors, rotary cutters, and so forth in my sewing room.  Well - I'm pretty sure that I've spent more than $2000 just on the sewing machines, serger, and embroidery machine - plus the tables for them - I'm just not sure how much more by the time you add the cutting table, the book case, the dressmaker's dummy, the pattern drafting software, and sew forth & sew on.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?