General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Getting Spoiled without a warning

(1/6) > >>

Alpacas:

BG:

After work or school i do enjoy it to just sit down at home, switch on Youtube and watch some Lets Plays(Videos about People playing a game while doing commentary that is either pre planned or not) about games that look interresting.

A few months ago one of my favourite youtubers did a Playthrough of the game "The Last of us" and still has the Playlist of it on his channel.

Yesterday i watched his new DayZ (another game) episode where he mentioned something in passing about "The Last of us".
Quote: "Just like in the end of The Last of us sometimes you got to do things for survival ...not out of moral choices"

A commenter under the video posted this:

Him: "Halfway through the video frankie spoils the last of us. I know he uploaded a series of it, but some of us chose not to watch it because we wanted to play the game ourselves... Try not to do this again please."

Me:   In a time where Internet can give you pretty much instant access to anything it's hard not to get spoiled. The best would be not to be online for that time until you(general you) are done with the game/show/book =).

Him:  You can talk about it all you want, at least give a warning or do it privately... and saying I should avoid a DayZ video because I haven't played TLOU is somewhat odd. Its just considerate, and common decency not to spoil things. I could go around spoiling Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead, but I don't.

Further Information about the Lets Player:
- His Youtube Channel is mostly about Survival Games as well as  First and Third Person shooters
- His past Videos are all available on his Channel
- He regularly mentions something from other Games. for example he mentions Metro:First Light during a DayZ Game Play.
- The alleged Spoiler does not spoil any ending or incident of the game. It's rather reflecting the underlying  feeling that you get while playing the character.
- The LetsPlayer is rather good at not spoiling people.

I can understand that it is frustrating it is if you're looking forward to playing that game (or if we keep it general) reading a book or watching a movie and then you get spoiled by someone.
But i'm wondering if the onus of keeping the spoilers away is really on those people that have already finished X?

What would the etiquette of not spoiling/not getting spoiled be?

mime:
I see the other poster's point about this: he didn't go seeking information about TLOU but got info anyway that he didn't want yet.

*But* if the whited-out text is all that was given away, I don't know that it was too much of a spoiler-- that's quite generic, isn't it? Like you said, this was more of an assessment of the game, not a reveal. If the video had content like like "it is just like game XYZ where you find out so-and-so is a traitor..." then I think the poster would have a case!

Arila:
Getting spoiled is always sad. The headlines after The Red Wedding episode were some of the ones I read the most about recently, or more personally, my cousin's email the day after the last Downton Abbey episode where the spoiler was in the subject line and not avoidable! I unintentionally retaliated by mentioning something in my response to her (just innocently discussing the previous episodes) only to find that she had missed a particular one! Ha!

I think the one you mention was a bit general, but to the broader point, while it's hard to avoid on the internet, you can usually just refuse to seek out any content related to what you're reading/watching/playing, and it's really unfortunate when it gets dropped into some place unexpected.

Although it's really interesting how the pendulum swings! Before Tivo etc, you had to watch tv shows when they were aired, and all the fans would be talking about them together the next day. Then people were time shifting all over the place, or waiting for the DVDs, and spoilers were verboten! Now, you're encouraged to follow twitter, or post to other social media as you're watching and it's more of a community experience, so it's important to keep up again, lest your experience be diminished by not being able to discuss how LOST ended, because that is SO 2010! So if enough time has passed, it stops becoming a verboten spoiler any more - I mean, is it really a spoiler if someone references how Darcy and Elizabeth end up together in the end just because you haven't read a book published over 200 years ago? :) 

Mrs. Tilney:
There's also the consideration when something was released vs. when you're discussing it. If the tv show aired yesterday, don't talk about things openly today. It's all very subjective, particularly since some people consider hings like "Could you believe that twist?" to be a huge spoiler, or information from a tv show's "Next week on" to be spoilers.

Tea Drinker:
My rule of thumb is don't spoiler things that a significant group of people can't possibly have seen yet (so, warn before an online discussion of a show that has so far aired in the US but not the UK, or vice versa), or that realistically most people haven't seen or read (a big fat novel that just came out a few days ago), and try to check with people on relatively recent things, or put discussions behind cut tags or the like. I read blogs that occasionally have "open thread to discuss $new book, expect spoilers in comments," set up so people can look at the front page of the blog and learn only that their friends are interested in the book in question.

There's some sort of statute of limitations or half-life, and I think a lot of disagreements are about the length of that half-life and whether it's affected by genre or how influential the work in question is. I don't think many people now would object to "it's his sled" or jokes about "Luke, I am your father," but some would mind a similar spoiler about the identity of the murderer even in a decades-old mystery novel, because that genre is in part about surprising the reader and/or the reader trying to solve a puzzle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version