Author Topic: privacy and volunteering  (Read 12048 times)

johelenc1

Re: privacy and volunteering
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
We signed up through the same system that we would have used for classes. So I did opt out. She took it upon herself to disregard that.

Or perhaps she (who is "she"-- I must have missed something) simply made a mistake. Quitting the AFP and all other projects with which you are involved (as is suggested a few posts back) seem a bit overreactive for something that may have been an innocent error.

She is the volunteer co-coordinator for the AFP. And I have a hard time believing that she included all of our numbers by mistake. One or two perhaps, even 10 or 20 could be a mistake, but everyone who had provided one - had to be deliberate. If that's an oversight - she needs a new job.
   And yeah, I am never volunteering for anything on campus again.
[/quote

Snowdragon - It seems clear that something has happened in your life that has made you hyper-vigilent and concerned about your privacy.  That is completely understandable and I'm certain, necessary.  But it seems you are finding offense where there is none.  I suspect you are right in saying the woman did not make a mistake in sending all of the numbers to everyone.  That is probably exactly what she meant to do.  That's what most people would do when coordinating a project - make sure the people in involved could communicate and reach each other.  Her mistake was most likely in not making sure your number was NOT included as it had been requested.  Either she failed to check the "do not send my number to anyone" list, or she failed to check or un-check some box which put it on the list. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:43:50 PM by johelenc1 »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »
Also cell phone numbers are not public or listed.  landlines may be listed, but cell phone number are not.  So for someone who has both an unlisted number and a cell phone number, it is completely understandable for them not to expect their contact information to be available unless they release it.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »
I'd be unhappy about having private contact info shared like that.

I'd expect to be asked before my details were placed on a shared list. The other volunteers may well be lovely people. I'd like to be the one to make that judgement.

Think a previous poster asked what's the worst that can happen? Lots of people have reasons they don't want their info out there, including safety reasons - abusive ex, family or stalkerish stuff going on in their lives. Others may have professions where there can be issues with phone numbers getting out - working in child protection, the criminal justice system, psychologists, etc. so people may end up being harassed or threatened.

Even if it just opens you up to another volunteer's attempts to interest you in their latest MLM, it's not a great move.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »
I just don't like the idea of someone giving someone else (especially many someone else's) my personal information without my permission. Sometimes, it's just the principle of the thing.

Maybe I would prefer people to only contact me via email. I wouldn't want anyone having my phone number. And even if it were a listed land-line phone number, it doesn't need to be given out. My real first name (not Danika) and last name are both very common. I love the anonymity that that provides. Even if I had a listed number, or you Googled my address, you would find many people with my name in my city. Giving my info out to people would upset me because now they know which Jennifer Smith is associated with which phone number.

snowdragon

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 11:37:27 PM »
I think you all are picturing something different than what I volunteered for, this is not a committee type thing. This is a staffed (staff is paid; volunteers not)   conference where the volunteers are there to do things like ushering, traffic control ( man parking lots and direct traffic), show people how to get from one workshop to another, and set up chairs, stage props, help with arts and crafts and such. There is no need for any volunteer to get a hold of another during off hours. And the only folks we'll need to talk to while "working" will be in the same location as us. This is more akin to volunteering at a music fest as extra hands, than anything else. With 50 workshops and people coming from local schools, as well as from the college itself, there is a need for people to come in for a few hours, do what they are assigned to do and leave - but that's the extent of it.
Since the staff are all paid employees, who work on this year around, they may need to get a hold of each other, but other than the volunteer coordinator none of them need to get a hold of us  - and all of that so far has been emails.

As far of as what FERPA covers, I spoke to two separate offices at school, both told me that once those forms are filled out they, give out nothing, at all. It may be different than your experiences, but I have to believe what the school offices ( Student Affairs and Registrar) tell me. 

PS: this is a Landline we are talking about - that is unlisted. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 01:03:49 AM »
Also cell phone numbers are not public or listed.  landlines may be listed, but cell phone number are not.  So for someone who has both an unlisted number and a cell phone number, it is completely understandable for them not to expect their contact information to be available unless they release it.

Really? They are in Denmark unless requested otherwise (if they're with a plan -pay-as-you-go phones aren't).

If you look me up in the white pages you'll find my land line, my private cell and my work cell all listed.

That aside, I agree completely with johelenc1. She said everything better than I could :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Danika

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 01:42:58 AM »
Really? They are in Denmark unless requested otherwise (if they're with a plan -pay-as-you-go phones aren't).

If you look me up in the white pages you'll find my land line, my private cell and my work cell all listed.

Wow! I'm surprised they'd list your private cell and work cell! I think that's unheard of in the U.S.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:54:50 AM by Danika »

Danika

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 01:46:35 AM »
I think you all are picturing something different than what I volunteered for, this is not a committee type thing. This is a staffed (staff is paid; volunteers not)   conference where the volunteers are there to do things like ushering, traffic control ( man parking lots and direct traffic), show people how to get from one workshop to another, and set up chairs, stage props, help with arts and crafts and such. There is no need for any volunteer to get a hold of another during off hours. And the only folks we'll need to talk to while "working" will be in the same location as us. This is more akin to volunteering at a music fest as extra hands, than anything else. With 50 workshops and people coming from local schools, as well as from the college itself, there is a need for people to come in for a few hours, do what they are assigned to do and leave - but that's the extent of it.
Since the staff are all paid employees, who work on this year around, they may need to get a hold of each other, but other than the volunteer coordinator none of them need to get a hold of us  - and all of that so far has been emails.

As far of as what FERPA covers, I spoke to two separate offices at school, both told me that once those forms are filled out they, give out nothing, at all. It may be different than your experiences, but I have to believe what the school offices ( Student Affairs and Registrar) tell me. 

PS: this is a Landline we are talking about - that is unlisted.

Then it's even more shocking to me that they gave out a master list! I volunteer for a huge event in our city once a year. There are thousands of volunteers for that weekend. There are no criminal background checks. I wouldn't want them all having my name, address, email and phone number. With that many people getting all that information, I'd be afraid they'd resell it and I'd end up getting a lot of mail, email and phone spam.

The "captains" (high up volunteers who volunteer every year and lead others) break down their groups into smaller teams. About 100 of us on a team might see the other 99 members' email addresses on the "To" line. That's rare. And there's a Facebook group we can join (for just the 100) if we want to interact more with each other.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 02:00:13 AM »
After that update, I'm even more shocked at the actions of the coordinator. 

I regularly volunteer for major citywide festivals here in my city.  Because I work with the volunteer coordinator as a check in captain, I have access to other volunteers contact information.  BUT I don't get that information until I actually show up to work my shift and I can't take it home with me.  The most we see before we start volunteering is a master list of names and volunteer positions by date and time.  It comes out about a week before the event to give people time to make changes.  There is no CC'ing with multiple emails on the list

MariaE, in the US, cell phones have never been listed.  Or at least they haven't been listed in the 20 or so years since first my parents and then I had cell phones.  Landlines can still be listed, but with the decline of the printed white pages, it's harder and harder to find that info.  I know when my aunt signed up for a landline service, there was a section asking if you wanted to be listed and she said no.  Individual work numbers have never been in the white pages.  the most you get is the general number to the business.

It's so interesting to hear from people all over the world. :)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 02:14:22 AM »
MariaE, in the US, cell phones have never been listed.  Or at least they haven't been listed in the 20 or so years since first my parents and then I had cell phones.  Landlines can still be listed, but with the decline of the printed white pages, it's harder and harder to find that info.  I know when my aunt signed up for a landline service, there was a section asking if you wanted to be listed and she said no.  Individual work numbers have never been in the white pages.  the most you get is the general number to the business.

White pages aren't printed in Denmark any longer either, but they've moved online (same with yellow pages). You can ask to have them unlisted same as with landlines, but the default is to have them listed (i.e. it's opt-out rather than opt-in).

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

EllenS

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 06:26:33 PM »
I am a volunteer coordinator for a small program at my church.  We do share phone/email on a master list.  However, 1) it is a small group of people who all know each other; 2) mutual contact is necessary in case people need to switch shifts (much easier to do directly).

On a big event like you describe, I would not think a shared contact list to be reasonable or necessary.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
I am a volunteer coordinator for a small program at my church.  We do share phone/email on a master list.  However, 1) it is a small group of people who all know each other; 2) mutual contact is necessary in case people need to switch shifts (much easier to do directly).

On a big event like you describe, I would not think a shared contact list to be reasonable or necessary.

That was my thinking as well - unless it's a small effort where people will be calling back and forth to various other volunteers a great deal, the only people who need the who need the whole list are the coordinators.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

snowdragon

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 08:52:08 PM »

I would think you disclose that information before hand - and if the person is not comfortable with it they can back out? 

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »
I stand corrected. I interpreted the word "project" in the name as an actual project -- as in, something being worked on over time -- rather than an event. In the latter case, I definitely don't think it's necessary for anyone but the person in charge of the volunteers to have phone numbers.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

EllenS

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 10:54:50 PM »

I would think you disclose that information before hand - and if the person is not comfortable with it they can back out?

We mainly recruit from members who are already in a mutually-distributed directory, and communicate on an open-cc list.  We also get volunteers signing up by writing their names and contact info on a piece of paper pinned to the wall in the corridor.  It seems pretty self-selecting.

ETA: clarifying that the volunteers are writing their OWN info on the posted list, I don't do that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:58:54 PM by EllenS »