Author Topic: Company craft day (and I'm not crafty)  (Read 3003 times)

Sebastienne

Company craft day (and I'm not crafty)
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:30:38 AM »
Okay, there are a lot of crafty people on this board, and I'm not particularly crafty at all. However, I'm interviewing for a job at a startup tech company this week where part of the position appears to be organizing regular (weekly? bi-weekly?) company craft days. Yes, this is apparently a thing.

Apart from the crafty thing, I'm incredibly well-suited for this job. So, since I know they're going to ask for suggestions for future craft days, and I have nothing beyond friendship bracelets and 8-bit videogame mosaics... I'd love help. What are some off-the-wall creative crafty things a group of a dozen tech geeks can spend an hour or two doing to bond and clear their heads for more coding?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:32:40 AM by Sebastienne »

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Company craft day (and I'm not crafty)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:40:04 AM »
knitting/crocheting circle? yarn spinning?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sebastienne

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:45:04 AM »
I think I should add that I have no idea how to knit or crochet, so I'd be terrible at leading others in doing so. I can't tell at this point if this is more like a knitting circle, or if it's more like elementary school art class for grownups. I could probably handle that.

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:03:12 AM »
Modular origami? http://www.origami-instructions.com/modular-origami-instructions.html

Also, does "organising" mean teaching it yourself, or finding someone else to teach, or just to find an appropriate space and everyone brings along their own thing? I'd love to work somewhere that does craft-day.

"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

zainabzks

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 03:11:27 AM »
Legos.

legos Mindstorms

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 03:31:14 AM »
Okay, there are a lot of crafty people on this board, and I'm not particularly crafty at all. However, I'm interviewing for a job at a startup tech company this week where part of the position appears to be organizing regular (weekly? bi-weekly?) company craft days. Yes, this is apparently a thing.

Apart from the crafty thing, I'm incredibly well-suited for this job. So, since I know they're going to ask for suggestions for future craft days, and I have nothing beyond friendship bracelets and 8-bit videogame mosaics... I'd love help. What are some off-the-wall creative crafty things a group of a dozen tech geeks can spend an hour or two doing to bond and clear their heads for more coding?
like aiki - i am curious: do you have to lead the craft or find someone who can? because if part of my job description included "leading regular weekly/bi weekly craft days" - i would have to tell them that i will do my best but that isn't my strong side.

having said that - does food preparation count? do you have facilities for baking? (even a toaster oven)?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

bonyk

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:59:56 AM »
Go on Pintrest.  Look for craft ideas according to the time of year, ie, fall crafts, Halloween crafts, Columbus Day crafts, Veteran's Day crafts, etc.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:00:40 AM »
I would pitch it to the interviewer as "I am not a big crafts person. I sometimes have 2 left hands! But I will find people in the company with interesting skills and organize the activities. To have a perfectly organize crafts day (insert organizational spiel and similar stuff you've done in the past). I hope to be an inspirational to everyone who thinks they can't make things. I am no Martha Steward but I try hard, have fun and I think these days could be a great bonding experience for the team."

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »

So long as you show you understand that it's a means to an end, not an end in itself you should be great. I suggest looking up some more technical crafts such as making keyrings by acid-etching metal, stained glass, enamelling copper, photo editing, wood carving, building bird boxes, screen printing t-shirts, cooking.

Cami

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:44:29 AM »
Krigami would be great. It's cheap, easy -- it's basically like advanced paper snowflake cutting. There was even one of those 365 day calendars with Krigrami patterns in it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 08:50:42 AM »
Mosaic work with pottery/china. Serves two purposes:  Get out some aggression, breaking the pottery you are going to use to make the mosaic and then the mosaic itself is the art.

I have some old, chipped, cracked plates from my Mom's collection.  I want to make mosaic stepping stones out of them.  Break the plates into smaller pieces and then set them in cement.  It's on the list for this winter so I'll have them for the spring.  I hope I get to it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
Perler beads are great for 8-bit art and very easy to work with:

String art is also really easy to do (just need cardstock and string or yarn) and comes out looking beautiful and math-y:

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
Crafts for Nerds that involve electronics:

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2013/roundup-led/

Sebastienne

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »
These are great suggestions--thanks, everyone!

I'm really not sure what "organizing" entails at this point. I'm guessing it's coming up with an idea, buying supplies, and printing out Pinterest directions, but who knows. All I can say at this point was that it was (a small) part of the job description, and the company website has a picture of them on "craft day." It looks like they're painting something, maybe. Even if it's not really in my wheelhouse, I love that this is part of the company culture. As is, apparently, homebrewing day.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
I've gotta say, I'd LOVE this kind of job. Kinda jealous, and hope you get it!