Author Topic: Company craft day (and I'm not crafty)  (Read 3201 times)

snowdragon

Re: Company craft day (and I'm not crafty)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
you could also do a cookie "bake" - with the refrigerator cookies instead of  oven ones. or a quilting bee with tied quilts that they do now.

cwm

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Paper making. Bring in old newspapers, blenders, and some spare screens (like from windows, the finer the mesh the better). And food coloring. Blend paper and water into thick pulp. Add food coloring if desired. Spread on screens to dry. At that point you can add in other chunks of construction paper in neat patterns, and people can have their very own homemade paper for whatever they want to do with it.

Simple bookbinding is also pretty easy to learn how to do, and everyone gets their own little notebook.

Depending on the interest, mask making. Get paper masks, and bring in markers, crayons, glue, glitter, feathers. Go crazy with it. Then have a "fashion show" afterwards and take votes on several categories. Best use of color, best design, craziest, most fitting to the individual's personality.

Sugar cookie decorating. Crafts plus desserts. Everyone wins.

Paper mache crafts - you can make mini pinatas with them, or just do it over balloons to make neat new bowls for at people's desks. They won't hold up forever, but they're fun while they last.

Pipe cleaner art.

Wooden sticks/tongue depressor crafts. Bookmarks, buildings.

Make teams. Challenge them, who can use this set group of craft supplies to build the tallest structurally sound tower? It has to balance an egg on top for at least ten seconds without falling or collapsing. (Hardboiled egg, of course, to make it easier to clean up.)

Decorate plastic eggs. With paint.

Also, by the way, I'm totally jealous of your job. I'd love to be in charge of crafts and activities.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »
Okay, there are a lot of crafty people on this board, and I'm not particularly crafty at all. However, I'm interviewing for a job at a startup tech company this week where part of the position appears to be organizing regular (weekly? bi-weekly?) company craft days. Yes, this is apparently a thing.

Apart from the crafty thing, I'm incredibly well-suited for this job. So, since I know they're going to ask for suggestions for future craft days, and I have nothing beyond friendship bracelets and 8-bit videogame mosaics... I'd love help. What are some off-the-wall creative crafty things a group of a dozen tech geeks can spend an hour or two doing to bond and clear their heads for more coding?
like aiki - i am curious: do you have to lead the craft or find someone who can? because if part of my job description included "leading regular weekly/bi weekly craft days" - i would have to tell them that i will do my best but that isn't my strong side.

having said that - does food preparation count? do you have facilities for baking? (even a toaster oven)?

Yea - do you have to lead, or could you, say, contact local craft stores to see if they have anyone who'd be willing/able to help with leading. Also, do you have a budget for supplies?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

snowdragon

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
Okay, there are a lot of crafty people on this board, and I'm not particularly crafty at all. However, I'm interviewing for a job at a startup tech company this week where part of the position appears to be organizing regular (weekly? bi-weekly?) company craft days. Yes, this is apparently a thing.

Apart from the crafty thing, I'm incredibly well-suited for this job. So, since I know they're going to ask for suggestions for future craft days, and I have nothing beyond friendship bracelets and 8-bit videogame mosaics... I'd love help. What are some off-the-wall creative crafty things a group of a dozen tech geeks can spend an hour or two doing to bond and clear their heads for more coding?
like aiki - i am curious: do you have to lead the craft or find someone who can? because if part of my job description included "leading regular weekly/bi weekly craft days" - i would have to tell them that i will do my best but that isn't my strong side.

having said that - does food preparation count? do you have facilities for baking? (even a toaster oven)?

Yea - do you have to lead, or could you, say, contact local craft stores to see if they have anyone who'd be willing/able to help with leading. Also, do you have a budget for supplies?

oooh a craft party!

or if there is a craft you all ( or a majority) want to learn, have someone come in and teach.

Sebastienne

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 02:30:21 PM »

I'll know more after my interview tomorrow. I'm pretty sure, though, there is a budget for supplies. I'm not buying communal glue guns and oragami paper with my own money! Bringing in someone to teach us to knit, though, is actually a pretty great idea. If I get the job (knock wood), I'll see what I can do.

EllenS

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
Finger knitting is a great activity for kids or adults, and can be learned in 5 minutes.  String is the only required supply.

Painting (purchased) ceramics is popular for groups - you paint them, then take them back to the store to be glazed & fired

Did somebody already mention tie-die?

Nearly anything can be strung onto heavy thread to make a garland.

Molded candies count as a craft. As does artisan beer and wine.

snowdragon

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »
if you have a microwave, melt and pour soaps are great too. Silicone trays such as for ice or candy are great for molds.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
Ooh, an idea from Penny Arcade's "Strip Search" (a web-cast reality show to find a new cartoonist) -

Get modeling clay/play-dough/model magic/etc.  Give everyone a chunk of a handful of colors.  Hold a contest: give everyone five minutes to sculpt something to fit with a specific theme.  ("Airplane!  Swimming!  Zoo animals!  Internet memes!")  Then line up the results and let people vote on which one is the best, and give prizes for the winners.  You could probably fit in several rounds in a 60-90-minute craft time.  And since nobody really expects to be good at sculpting, there's not the social embarrassment there would be about something like drawing or singing.

Sebastienne

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »
Ooh, an idea from Penny Arcade's "Strip Search" (a web-cast reality show to find a new cartoonist) -

Get modeling clay/play-dough/model magic/etc.  Give everyone a chunk of a handful of colors.  Hold a contest: give everyone five minutes to sculpt something to fit with a specific theme.  ("Airplane!  Swimming!  Zoo animals!  Internet memes!")  Then line up the results and let people vote on which one is the best, and give prizes for the winners.  You could probably fit in several rounds in a 60-90-minute craft time.  And since nobody really expects to be good at sculpting, there's not the social embarrassment there would be about something like drawing or singing.

Oh, that's awesome. Even better: themes come from Cards Against Humanity cards.

Carotte

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »

I'll know more after my interview tomorrow. I'm pretty sure, though, there is a budget for supplies. I'm not buying communal glue guns and oragami paper with my own money! Bringing in someone to teach us to knit, though, is actually a pretty great idea. If I get the job (knock wood), I'll see what I can do.

Sell them the idea of making geeky scarfs, my mother made me a Gryfindor and a Doctor Who (about half of the 4th Doctor's one) one. Or it could be with the color of the company logo even.

magicdomino

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
Paper-mache monsters.  Oh wait, that's my thing.   :)  Not that they are difficult or expensive, and the employees can either work on their own or one big one.

So, tell the interviewer that you are intrigued by the idea of organizing craft days.  Ask about time restraints, material restraints, hiring outside instructors, encouraging in-house volunteer instructors.  You know where to go for ideas when you get the job.    ;D

Amara

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »
Ooh, get their heads out of technology and into paper. How about bookmarks? This place ( http://www.bookarts.uwe.ac.uk/bookmark.htm ) in England has an annual contest for handmade bookmarks. It's in its eleventh year. You can look at all the previous ones too, and the ideas are fantastic and may spur some genuine creativity on the part of the "crafters."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
Tie-dye t-shirts.  There are companies out there that will sell kits to make anywhere from 6 to 100 shirts.  You do have to have access to water, though, and eventually the shirts need to go into a washing machine. I've done it with kids as young as 5.  My favorite t-shirt was made by my 6-year-old grandson.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Eeep!

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
Lanyards! Everybody loves a good lanyard. heh.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 05:07:10 PM »
Lanyards are a great idea.  You could do them in company colors and turn them into security badge holders.

I suggest paper airplanes.  Tech people would probably love this, and there are lots of instruction books available. You could turn it into a flying contest.

If you have a crafts store nearby, like Hobby Lobby, check out the craft kits.  You can get some good ideas and supplies. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.