Author Topic: Company craft day (and I'm not crafty)  (Read 3269 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Company craft day (and I'm not crafty)
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »
I suggest paper airplanes.  Tech people would probably love this, and there are lots of instruction books available. You could turn it into a flying contest.

My Dad taught Grade 7.  He did a section on aerodynamics.  He gave each of the kids an 8.5X11 sheet of paper and told them to construct something that would hit the blackboard fro the back of the room.  They couldn't add anything or take anything away from the sheet, not even cut it.

The smart alecks crumpled their paper up into a ball and managed to hit the blackboard.  Next step was to move to the gym.  If your plane landed on the stage from the back, you got an 'A'.  So the kids who had just crumpled up the paper couldn't get it there and had to come up with a design that would fly.

The kids loved it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »
Have a photo of each person participating and have them make a paper border for their photo using scrapbooking materials like fancy paper, stickers, ribbon, etc.  Put the results up on a bulletin board or actually make an employee scrapbook.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »
I would pitch it to the interviewer as "I am not a big crafts person. I sometimes have 2 left hands! But I will find people in the company with interesting skills and organize the activities. To have a perfectly organize crafts day (insert organizational spiel and similar stuff you've done in the past). I hope to be an inspirational to everyone who thinks they can't make things. I am no Martha Steward but I try hard, have fun and I think these days could be a great bonding experience for the team."

I like this approach, with a few edits:

"I am really excited about this aspect of the job! While I'm no Martha Steward, I have great organizational skills (insert organizational spiel and similar stuff you've done in the past.) I think these days are a great bonding experience for the team and I've already done some research into fun-filled projects.* Would you please explain a little bit more about the craft days . . ."

I think that putting the emphasis on what a great idea craft day is would be so much better than belittling your own crafting skills.

*I saw your post about "Cards Against Humanity." While I have no clue as to what you meant, the word Humanity jumped out at me.

What about mentioning (during your interview ;)) a thought of doing crafts for charity? The one thing that pops out in my mind right now is decorating onesies to donate to a woman's shelter . . . The goal here is not only relaxing the team's minds but also engaging the team in community awareness.

Just a thought.

OP -- Good Luck with your interview! Please keep us posted ;D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 06:42:19 PM »
As is, apparently, homebrewing day.

Oh, and, what is homebrewing day?

Library Dragon

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »
Go on Pintrest.  Look for craft ideas according to the time of year, ie, fall crafts, Halloween crafts, Columbus Day crafts, Veteran's Day crafts, etc.

Agreed!

Here's an example of a simple one on Pinterest:  Add water to Elmer’s glue and brush inside of a clean jar. Put glitter inside of the jars, and roll/spin the jar around until the glitter coats the sides. Add a tea light after it dries.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Sebastienne

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »
As is, apparently, homebrewing day.

Oh, and, what is homebrewing day?

Apparently, it's beer-making day. Another type of craft, I guess.

It is a good strategy to ask questions and emphasize excitement than to say I don't know how to knit... We'll see how it goes.

Oh, and for those not in the know, Cards Against Humanity is a game kind of like Apples to Apples, except awkward and offensive. Probably not workplace safe, honestly, but super fun with the right players. http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 10:15:55 PM »
Someone help me - what are those beautiful designs called that are so fun to color? Kind of "mindfulness" exercise.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 10:21:36 PM »
Someone help me - what are those beautiful designs called that are so fun to color? Kind of "mindfulness" exercise.

Mandalas?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »

Mandalas?
Zentangles?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

mime

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »
Rubber stamp carving-- a great tutorial is here, with links to samples.
http://www.atlasquest.com/tutorials/carving/index.html

Cartonnage-- lots of good 1-day projects with this.

Modular origami (someone else suggested this already, so just add a vote for that). As a geeky/mathematical person, I find modular origami very soothing. It can also be done with starched pieces of calico to make pretty stable little boxes!

Betelnut

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 12:54:37 PM »
Making pop-up cards.  Very fun.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »
Mandalas! Yes, thank you. Zentangles is all that would come to mind, but I agree, that would be fun, also.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »
Michael's and Joann craft stores each have sticky foam kits that can be used to build all sorts of crafts, such as haunted houses, Halloween trees, door hangers, ornaments, candle holders.

cwm

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »
And it's official. I'm bookmarking this thread to keep all these great ideas for crafting. Because the world needs more crafts projects!

Sebastienne

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
I'm back from the interview, which went (I think) pretty well, although after all this...craft day did not even come up in any detail at all whatsoever. I brought it up, and they segued to ask me about my hobbies. I had all these ideas, too! However, I didn't mention crafting as one of my hobbies, since I think it's bad form to lie on job interviews.

I should find out in the next week or so, and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for all the help! It felt good to show up overprepared.