Author Topic: Substantial Appetizers OK for 11 am Baby Shower?  (Read 3042 times)

lowspark

Substantial Appetizers OK for 11 am Baby Shower?
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:58:29 AM »
I'm hosting a baby shower for a friend in a couple of weeks. It's called for 11 am on Saturday. I plan on serving lunch, but by that I mean several heavy finger foods.

My current menu consists of these items:
Buffalo Chicken meatballs
mini frittatas
brie en croute
spinach bars
guacamole & chips
whitefish salad & crackers
Plus two desserts, both bar type items

I'll be serving wine, iced tea & cokes.

Is this enough? Or will people expect more of a meal with main dish & sides? I don't have enough table seating for all the guests so I figure that finger foods are easier to deal with instead of fork & knife type of food.

Whadaya think?

Zizi-K

Re: Substantial Appetizers OK for 11 am Baby Shower?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
Sounds great! You might consider adding a crudite tray for those watching what they eat, as well as a fruit tray or fruit salad.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »
I agree with the addition of veggie and fruit trays, and maybe add a pitcher of ice water to the beverages, but otherwise?  Sounds great.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Xandraea

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »
I agree with the addition of veggie and fruit trays, and maybe add a pitcher of ice water to the beverages, but otherwise?  Sounds great.

I second this.  Sounds like a fantastic spread :)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »
It starts at 11 - how long do you anticipate it going?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »
I recently did a 11am shower. It was finger food and was sufficient. I agree either adding a fruit or veggie tray. We did fruit salad in individual cups.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 11:41:50 AM »
I also suggest adding some fruits and/or a veggie tray.  Maybe lemonade or ice water to drink.  I'm assuming that a cake or cupcakes are part of the dessert :).  It sounds delish and easy to manage.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »
Looks terrific but I agree with others, add a veggie and a fruit tray.  Nothing huge, just enough so they can have something cold/refreshing in between your other tasty tidbits.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »
To make the beverages extra special, you can float slices of lime or watermelon in the pitcher of water. I would also do a veggie plate or a fruit salad.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 12:18:03 PM »
Please do add a non-caffeinated beverage, as it stands the GOH might be very limited in what she can drink if you only offer wine, iced tea and coke as many pregnant women curtail their alcohol and caffeine intake severely.

I agree with other posters veggie platter is an easy and affordable way to add to the spread to offer a healthy, low fat/low cal option that is still a "finger food".

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »
Thanks all!! I thought it would be ok but then I started to worry it wouldn't be substantial enough. I'll definitely add veggies & fruit. I had that in the back of my mind but forgot about it. So a crudité platter for sure and probably some small grape bunches.  And yes, a pitcher of ice water - good idea. With fruit slices floating - I like that!

I figure it will last between two and three hours. Most of the people attending know each other so my plan is food & drink & conversation for the first hour or so, then open gifts, then people can continue to hang around and chat as long as they like. People who know me (most of the attendees) know that I love hosting and that I'm happy for folks to stay as long as they like.

Although I've hosted zillions of parties, dinners, and the like on my own, I've never had the opportunity to host a shower (bridal or baby) totally solo. It's always been a case of co-hosting with others for these kinds of events. So I'm really excited about being the only one giving the party for this friend. I get to plan every single bit of it. Wheeeee!!!

lowspark

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
Ah yes. The thing is, she's not pregnant. It's a sort of special circumstance. The baby has already been born and she's not nursing so she can eat/drink anything. But yeah, it's a good idea to have some kind of coke variety that is caffeine free.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
I have been to several adoption baby/child showers. It was still just as much fun for the parents to be!

AndreaBeth105

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I think your menu sounds great!  Can I ask what size plates you plan to use, though? 

With the shower running 11 - 1/2 on a Saturday, I would be expecting a light lunch.  I could definitely make a light lunch of the food you're offering, so that's not a problem. 

But I have would up at a shower that was over a meal time but only dessert sized plates were offered.  I took that as a visual cue from the host that the food wasn't meant to be a meal. 
"Humor is reason gone mad." ~Groucho Marx

lowspark

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
Good point. Actually both sizes. Normal size for the food and small for the desserts which will be located in a different spot from the savory food. I definitely mean it to be a meal and I'll make plenty (no one leaves my house hungry! LOL). So I would like to encourage them to eat up!