Author Topic: Substantial Appetizers OK for 11 am Baby Shower?  (Read 2580 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Substantial Appetizers OK for 11 am Baby Shower?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 02:08:11 PM »
The menu sounds good but I think with so many flavors, it may need something plain.  Perhaps add a basket of sliced crusty bread (like French or Italian) with butter?

auntmeegs

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
The menu sounds good but I think with so many flavors, it may need something plain.  Perhaps add a basket of sliced crusty bread (like French or Italian) with butter?

Yes, I was going to suggest a basket of assorted bagels.  If you have leftovers, you can always freeze them. 

lowspark

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »
Yeah, you know, I did consider the bread angle. If I do serve bagels, well that will mean I'll need to add cream cheese to the table as well. Rolls mean butter.

So... my quandry. I learned my lesson at a party I had years ago that plenty of food does not need to mean too many things, just plenty of each thing that you do serve. Because the more things that are on the buffet table, the longer it takes to get everyone served since everyone has to linger at each item, decide if they want some, take a bit, etc. while everyone behind them is waiting.

So, if I do bagels or rolls, I probably need to eliminate one of the other items as I've settled on six as being the maximum items I want on the table. I sort of figured on the crackers and puff pastry (in the brie en croute) as supplying the "bread" course. I could get rid of the guacamole, but it's a very popular item every time I serve it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
You've got chips and crackers.  Presumably, these will be separate from the guacamole and the whitefish salad.  Anyone who wants something plain can take some naked chips or crackers.  I wouldn't worry about the bread.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

NyaChan

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
I think your original menu with the fresh munchies and water is more than sufficient.  It's a party, not a trip to the grocery store :D  I bet your guests will enjoy it all - I know I would!

lowspark

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
Well, the party was on Saturday. Instead of the veggie platter I decided to do a display of grape tomatoes & mozzerella cheese cubes with balsamic vinagrette & basil. It was a hit. Everything I served seemed to go over very well and everyone seemed to get enough to eat. Yay! A few of my guests took home some leftovers including finishing off the desserts for me (double yay!).

The baby was really sweet about being passed around, and he slept through the entire gift opening process. Mommy got a bunch of really nice gifts and "a good time was had by all."

Thanks again for everyone's input!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
Terrific! Thank you for sharing the outcome.