Author Topic: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread  (Read 6398 times)

Sanity Lost

I didn't want to derail the Snowflakes thread. I have 3 kids (11, 9 and not quite 2). There are movies that while advertised for adults I feel are fine for the older boys to watch. But this is because A. I know my kids and B. I research the movies beforehand. Now there are some that have still caught me by surprise; but not because I wasn't paying attention. There are also some kids movies that my guys are not allowed to watch; because I don't think that they would react well to them.

Adult movies that I approved:
Avengers
Pacific Rim
Battleship
Transformers (the 1st only)
All 3 Men in Black movies
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Robin Hood (Mel Brooks & Kevin Costner Versions)
POTC - all 3 movies

Marketed to kids that surprised me and are on the "no" list now:
Monster House (scared the bejeebers out of me!)
ParaNorman
Coraline

Marketed to kids that are on the no list  off the bat
The incredible Mr. Fox
The Golden Compass

What movies do you approve or disapprove of?

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
Re: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
I don't have kids yet, but this is my short, incomplete list of approved/not approved (aside from movies which are normally considered children's movies):

Approved
Ben-Hur; violinp and I watched this from the time we were small and were never really traumatized by it. The scene after the chariot race made me very sad as a little kid, but I understand it better now as a young adult.
Lola rennt (Run, Lola, Run); the only reason this is rated R is because most of the swears were translated as the word that rhymes with duck

Not Approved
Cabaret; I would rather my potential kids see the show as it was meant to be seen. It isn't a PG story, and it's really terrifying for children.
Fiddler on the Roof; The end of this (not the very end, the storyline with the third daughter) terrified me when I was a kid. The ghosts stuff didn't bother me because it was so goofy. But the Chava storyline upset and frightened me a lot, and I worried that that would happen to me if I messed up. I was a little kid; I didn't make sense.
O Brother, Where Art Thou: The Klan scene terrified me at 16 years old. I  know I'm a scaredy-cat with some stuff, but that was just too much.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Girlie

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
I don't have kids, but there are movies that are so much a part of my husband's and my own upbringing that I cannot imagine them not belonging in my children's lives. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and the Pink Panther movies are on that list, as are the Men in Black movies, Jurassic Park, and the edited t.v. version of Titanic.

Movies I don't watch and would not allow my children to watch - anything horror-genre. There are a few M. Night Shyamalan (sp?) movies I might approve if age-appropriate (like Signs), but that one where the girl's head spins around or people are mauled by vampires or Freddy kills them in their dreams.... No. Absolutely not.

daisy1679

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
We allow my kids (both boys, ages 4 & 7 this month) to watch pretty much anything we watch - which is mostly action movies. They love Transformers, POTC, and Indiana Jones. About the only thing I would probably say no to is horror, but we don't watch them so it's never been an issue. I can't think of any "kids" movie I have refused to let them see, although watching some of the older Disney movies I wonder how they got their G reputation (Seriously, Dumbo gets drunk and hallucinates, and that is appropriate for children?).

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »
Babybartfast loves "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" almost as much as I do - we've been watching it together since before she really knew there were other options :)  (It's my "house-cleaning" soundtrack . . .)

Can I add in "movies that are fine for my 5-year-old but scared the bejeebus out of me?"  Because "Ghostbusters" is on that list.  It was DH's favorite movie when he was 5, but Slimer coming through the wall in Ghostbusters II gave me nightmares for years.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »
I first saw 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was about 5. I loooved it, but some of the music scared me (specifically the Requiem that plays when you see the Monolith). I was watching it in the basement with my Dad, and every time that music came up, I'd run upstairs to Mom. Then I'd get curious and creep back downstairs. And run back up when the music came up. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

alkira6

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »
I didn't want to derail the Snowflakes thread. I have 3 kids (11, 9 and not quite 2). There are movies that while advertised for adults I feel are fine for the older boys to watch. But this is because A. I know my kids and B. I research the movies beforehand. Now there are some that have still caught me by surprise; but not because I wasn't paying attention. There are also some kids movies that my guys are not allowed to watch; because I don't think that they would react well to them.

Avengers
Pacific Rim
Battleship
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
POTC - all 3 movies

ParaNorman
Coraline

The incredible Mr. Fox
The Golden Compass

What movies do you approve or disapprove of?

Funny you should say Avengers - out of all the things my nephews could have paid attention to, they had to ask me what a "mewling quim" was.

Asharah

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »
We allow my kids (both boys, ages 4 & 7 this month) to watch pretty much anything we watch - which is mostly action movies. They love Transformers, POTC, and Indiana Jones. About the only thing I would probably say no to is horror, but we don't watch them so it's never been an issue. I can't think of any "kids" movie I have refused to let them see, although watching some of the older Disney movies I wonder how they got their G reputation (Seriously, Dumbo gets drunk and hallucinates, and that is appropriate for children?).
It was unintentional, the alcohol got spilled into his water.
Asharah

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 10:45:11 PM »
I lack kids, so this is theoretical, but the bolded are ones I think I would be OK with.

Avengers
Pacific Rim
Battleship
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
POTC - all 3 movies

ParaNorman
Coraline

The incredible Mr. Fox
The Golden Compass

My DH and I are both pretty nerdy, so it's safe to say that the kids will know Star Wars (and probably Star Trek) quite well by the time they're ready for school. :-) Also, if we go into TV series, Doctor Who as well. Well, maybe not some episodes. I can see the Weeping Angels being far too much for some kids.

I'd also let them see Indiana Jones, and Hunt for Red October. Maybe The Mummy if I don't think it would scare them too much.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »
I have a rule that if they want to watch something (we are big Netflix users) and I am iffy, I will watch it first and make a decision.  My girls are 7 & 18 so our viewings are eclectic, but little one handles things pretty good.  Little one is a huge Tim Burton fan and her favorite movie when she was 3 was Corpse Bride.  I don't have much control over the 18 yr old, but have steered her away from a few (American Psycho and Precious, which I love both), but I have made some mistakes in what I allowed thinking it would be ok for her (Wizard of Oz and Beetlejuice gave her nightmares the first time but she loves them now) and The Incredibles..I thought 'Disney cartoon..no problem' until we watched it when she was small and the bad guys are shooting at the kids!!!!  The Do Nots now in the house (for little one) :

Batman Trilogy - I lovelovelove them but they are too intense for her.  Well, basically anything with Christian Bale other than Pocahontas & Newsies
Jurassic Park- Again, a bit too intense, but she is almost there.
Lilo & Stitch- Her daddy died 2 years ago and she is still struggling with it and that movie just is too darn sad (yeah, I admit it, I cry!)

The movies that I let them watch

All the Pirates of the Caribbean
Almost all Tim Burton movies
Pink Panther movies
Original 3 Star Wars
Men in Black
Ghost Busters
And starting when older DD was about 13, Mel Brooks movies..we love History of the Word Part 1 and Young Frankenstein

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »
I watched The Godfather at 13. My parents had told me there was scrabbling in it, but I was not at all prepared to see Sonny with the bridesmaid! :o And the horse scene was...shocking, even though I'd seen a fair amount of violence and gore up to that point.

I don't regret seeing that movie at that particular age, but parents of more sensitive souls should probably wait until their kids are well into their teens to show it.

I wouldn't be okay with my kids seeing Indiana Jones movies before preteen age, because the deaths are fairly gruesome (I watched them from behind my eyes until I was in high school) - then again, I wouldn't be okay with the Disney Hunchback of Notre Dame being shown before then either (adult concepts I'm not okay talking about and a man being sent to hell...yeah no.)
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

snowdragon

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:59:02 PM »
I was taken to see HELP! ( Beatle's Movie) When I was quite young. Young enough to believe that they were really going to chop off Ringo's finger. I had nightmares for years.  Therefor when I had my nephew full time and when I have my niece and nephew( 8 and 11, respectively )  I am quite strict about what I will allow them to watch.  We're a big Netflix family too

Banned

Golden Compass - I won't watch it myself, won't allow it in the house
O, Brother Where Art Thou -- I loved parts of it - but it's not meat for kids. ( the frog scene squicks me out)
A good portion of Disney
Horror/very violent/se*ualized movies.
Alfred Hitchcock
Hunger Games
Man in the Iron Mask
Planet of the Apes

OK-
StarWars
Harry Potter
Sister Act
Lord of the Rings
League of extraordinary Gentleman ( their parents let them watch it at home)
Once Upon a Time in China
Nightmare Before Christmas
A Christmas Carol
Several Shakespearean Plays
Footloose
Star Trek ( other than the Kahn Movies)
Ever After
National Treasure
Corpse Bride.
Indiana Jones

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »
I remember being dropped off at a movie with a friend when I was 10 (that dates me), and instead of seeing whatever we were supposed to see, we snuck into the other theater to see Glenda Jackson in A Touch Of Class  ;D.   

I saw all the Irwin Allen disaster films by the time I was 12-13.  They were frightening but not gory.

One time, The Blue Lagoon happened to come on TV but my mother hustled over to the set before any of the good parts ;).  How tame it seems now.  But "kids" movies like Bambi or even The Wizard of Oz terrified me.

I had one babysitter that I loved because she would let me come back downstairs and watch Flip Wilson  ;D.  He was considered very risque' for his time.

My kids are 13 and 15 now, but back in their littler days I was more strict:

Banned

South Park (movie, and the show)
The Simpsons movie (I hated Bart with the heat of 10,000 suns)
Any gruesome horror film on par with Friday the 13th (much later, I let them watch the original Halloween because it was considered a landmark film)
Most of Disney, partly for the dark themes and because of my own irritation of the woman rescued by a man storylines.
Alfred Hitchcock was banned until they got older and I could prepare them for The Birds or Vertigo.  I was trying to contrast those films with the Friday the 13th ilk
Any Madea movie, until they got older (only within the last year)

OK-

Original Star Wars
Night at the Museum
Gone With The Wind (in part; DD loved the swirling skirts at the dance and didn't care about the rest of it  ::))
Original Godzilla movies, or any of the 1970's Japanese monster movies. 
Bend it like Beckham
The Day After Tomorrow (when older)
Flushed Away

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 01:07:32 AM »
My mother had a rule where if it was based on a book and we could read the book on our own, understand it, and not get nightmares from it, we could see the movie. Which led to my brother and I reading Stephen King at 8 and 10, respectively, in order to see Jurassic Park.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 02:00:52 AM »
My mother had a rule where if it was based on a book and we could read the book on our own, understand it, and not get nightmares from it, we could see the movie. Which led to my brother and I reading Stephen King at 8 and 10, respectively, in order to see Jurassic Park.
Ummm, what has Stephen King got to do with Jurassic Park? As far as I know, Michael Chricton wrote it.