Author Topic: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread  (Read 6782 times)

Pen^2

Re: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 02:10:51 AM »
My mother had a rule where if it was based on a book and we could read the book on our own, understand it, and not get nightmares from it, we could see the movie. Which led to my brother and I reading Stephen King at 8 and 10, respectively, in order to see Jurassic Park.

Michael Crichton, maybe?  ???

He was fantastic.

And I think that is an excellently perfect rule. I saw Planet of the Apes when I was 8 and loved it, and it was what first got me into physics via relativity. Yet even as an adult I still find Tom and Jerry to be horribly violent and don't enjoy it. And I shall never forget taking my 4 year old brother to see the Thomas the Tank Engine film which frightened him so much that we had to leave after something like 30 minutes (instead of being all about striving to be a "very useful engine," it's rather different: there's a train character with a crane/claw thing that he uses to smash and kill other trains). The variation between kids is tremendous, but the criterion of "Has read the book and still wants to see the film," is wonderfully succinct.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »
My mother had a rule where if it was based on a book and we could read the book on our own, understand it, and not get nightmares from it, we could see the movie. Which led to my brother and I reading Stephen King at 8 and 10, respectively, in order to see Jurassic Park.
Ummm, what has Stephen King got to do with Jurassic Park? As far as I know, Michael Chricton wrote it.

Thanks for catching that mistake. That's what I get for posting in a hurry while trying to clean the house on a not a lot of sleep.

Allyson

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 04:15:43 AM »
What's the objection behind Golden Compass? I ask because two posters mentioned it as definite no--I read the trilogy it was based on years ago, and watched the movie but don't have much recollection of it besides it not being that good compared to the books! Was there a controversy/bad thing in it I missed, or was it just scary/violent?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 08:40:05 AM »
What's the objection behind Golden Compass? I ask because two posters mentioned it as definite no--I read the trilogy it was based on years ago, and watched the movie but don't have much recollection of it besides it not being that good compared to the books! Was there a controversy/bad thing in it I missed, or was it just scary/violent?

It was originally intended to be the atheist response to the Chronicles of Narnia.  When the movies came out, there was a big to-do over the anti-religious themes in the film and how they would be confusing to kids raised in religious households - I'm assuming that's a big part of the objection.  (I haven't gotten around to reading the books yet, but I know our library had to buy many, many copies because they kept getting stolen "for the children's own good.")

Cherry91

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
I saw Jurassic Park at the age of three and had nightmares for years. Oddly I love the film now.  ;D

A good way to work out what would work for your children is to look up the official rating given to a film, as it usually tells you the reasons it's say, a PG instead of a U.

Pen^2

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »

It was originally intended to be the atheist response to the Chronicles of Narnia.  When the movies came out, there was a big to-do over the anti-religious themes in the film and how they would be confusing to kids raised in religious households - I'm assuming that's a big part of the objection.  (I haven't gotten around to reading the books yet, but I know our library had to buy many, many copies because they kept getting stolen "for the children's own good.")

THANK YOU now the books all make sense to me. The story was enjoyable and easy enough, and it obviously had a strong anti-dogmatic cult-like religion theme, but Atheist Narnia makes a lot of it seem less random now. I can't believe I didn't work this out myself.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »
Our list is based on what's too advanced/too scary so we've got quite a few splits on the list.  For example, my kids have never seen The Terminator but they've seen Terminator 2 many times because the first was really a horror film while the second was an action film.  For the same reason, they've never seen Alien but Aliens is a staple.  Generally, any movie that would qualify as a slasher film or "boo" movie tends to get left out, and movies that contain themes that they're too young to grasp don't get played either.  Language alone generally doesn't get a movie bumped because we've never had issues with them repeating words that they're not supposed to say in public, so stuff like My Cousin Vinny does get put in the player on occasion, but I'd never let them watch Blazing Saddles at their age (12 and 13).  Also, violence alone isn't necessarily a showstopper (I don't think I've ever used that word in literal context before!) as long as the story is compelling enough to allow it and it's not nightmare-inducing.  So Red Tails got a spin on movie night and so did Gettysburg and even Jaws.  But there are limits to that so I'd stop short of letting them see Saving Private Ryan or Enemy At The Gates even though the historical value of those films is immense.

Virg

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 10:32:01 AM »
This is why I say you can see PG-13 when you are 13, R when you are 17 because I don't want to have to figure out what is and isn't appropriate ...those lovely people at the movie association have done that for me.

daisy1679

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »
We allow my kids (both boys, ages 4 & 7 this month) to watch pretty much anything we watch - which is mostly action movies. They love Transformers, POTC, and Indiana Jones. About the only thing I would probably say no to is horror, but we don't watch them so it's never been an issue. I can't think of any "kids" movie I have refused to let them see, although watching some of the older Disney movies I wonder how they got their G reputation (Seriously, Dumbo gets drunk and hallucinates, and that is appropriate for children?).
It was unintentional, the alcohol got spilled into his water.

I know that, we actually own the movie :) I still don't think that scene is really appropriate in a movie that is definitely marketed towards young children, even though I do admire Disney's ability to slide that "adult" stuff into their movies without any real protest from parents.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »
This is why I say you can see PG-13 when you are 13, R when you are 17 because I don't want to have to figure out what is and isn't appropriate ...those lovely people at the movie association have done that for me.

You might want to think about seeing "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" - it's about the Motion Picture Association of America's rating system and its effect on American culture. We found it pretty interesting and educational.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Film_Is_Not_Yet_Rated

I also like http://www.commonsensemedia.org/ if we're interested in a movie and trying to figure out if it's appropriate for our family. You can find out about things like swearing, depictions of alcohol and drug use, sexual content, etc.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 11:09:54 AM »
Even at 6 I more or less leave it to him.  If it starts looking scary or more than he can handle, he shuts it off himself.

Many of the movies I was forbidden to watch as a kid (and for that matter, movies my mother was forbidden to watch as a kid) he eats up and loves.  The special effects haven't held up to the test of time, so he can easily tell things are fake and just pretend and so loves older scary movies.  I've got a 6 year old Vincent Price fan.  He doesn't care for Hitchcock though.  Monsters he likes, suspense he doesn't.

Basically, if he can see it happen in our living room (people having a beer, the occasional swear room, a glimpse of someone's butt, etc...) I tend not to be too concerned about him seeing it on film.

I don't mind things like the Golden Compass or Narnia for that matter because I like the idea of my kid pondering other viewpoints.  I'm actually more inclined to ban the average romantic comedy than I am something like Golden Compass.  Questioning your faith is okay, not letting a woman say no and stalking her because you are entitled to that big dang kiss is not.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »
I have been pretty lax with my kids in terms of what they watch/read etc.  I do draw the line at nakedness and sex scenes.  Outright sex scenes like True Blood etc.  Plus they are at the age where they don't even want to see kissing so it isn't issue that I have to enforce.  ;D

As for violence, again if it's a Tarantino movie, I know it's all guts and blood and will tell them honestly it won't be something they like.  And they won't protest.

But they do adore action movies so blood/gore is to be expected.  Plus they adore survival fiction and video games.  One of their all times favorite movie is Sucker Punch of all things. 

They never have bad dreams and with shows like Face Off, it's easy to explain to them that the paranormal/demon/monster movies are all fake.  So they have a pretty high threshold for "scary" movies and love them too.  In fact my kid was terrified of Santa, but seriously terrified.  She would hear how Santa can enter any house any time and "check" on them or deliver presents.  And she thought he was going to kidnap her and turn her into an elf.  I told her Santa wasn't real and to ignore my mother who kept insisting he was. Sigh.  She slept with us for a few weeks around Christmas.  After that, no more Santa! lol

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
We allow my kids (both boys, ages 4 & 7 this month) to watch pretty much anything we watch - which is mostly action movies. They love Transformers, POTC, and Indiana Jones. About the only thing I would probably say no to is horror, but we don't watch them so it's never been an issue. I can't think of any "kids" movie I have refused to let them see, although watching some of the older Disney movies I wonder how they got their G reputation (Seriously, Dumbo gets drunk and hallucinates, and that is appropriate for children?).
It was unintentional, the alcohol got spilled into his water.

I know that, we actually own the movie :) I still don't think that scene is really appropriate in a movie that is definitely marketed towards young children, even though I do admire Disney's ability to slide that "adult" stuff into their movies without any real protest from parents.

Now I'd have a problem with the racial stereotypes of the crows. (Trivia: The head crow is voiced by the same man who did Jimminy Cricket.) Now that the boys are older, they can watch this and put the stereotype into context.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
My kids are dogs...we let them watch anything but they prefer anything dog centric. Or animal centric in general.

We were both raised to pretty much watch what we wanted, partner has an older brother and an older sister who liked to let her watch very scary movies at a very young age to "see her reaction" (they were quiet a bit older then her), now she loves horror movies.

For me I was allowed to watch anything as long as it wasn't too violent (no Terminator films for instance, my mom really can't handle violence at all), or something my mother hated. I still hear about how I made her sit through I Heart Huckabees. I remember being a kid and watching Beetle Juice, my grandpa didn't want me to watch it (he thought it'd be too scary), but I freakin loved it! Still do! And she took me to see American Pie when it first came out...I was...11 maybe 12...she didn't exactly know what it was about.

I'd probably any overly gory films (Saw franchise for example, I won't even watch them) are out right off the bat, but otherwise we'll see as we go along. I know when I was a kid my mother loved to use movies to "spark a discussion". For instance, The Little Mermaid. She gives up her voice to get legs and explore the world. What does this say about how our culture views women out on their own? Or when I got into Buffy, we'd discuss how one vampires not real, and then she made me read Dracula and research vampire popularity is the US. When I watched West Side Story with my grandma I ended up reading Romeo and Juliet...I was 9. Then I read Macbeth, the Taming of the Shrew, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I'll probably end up doing something similar with my own kids.

One of my friend's kids, I do remember was terrified of...Toy Story. Specifically, Buzz Lightyear, when he was about 3. But he accidentally saw some of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the remake), when his mom thought he was in bed, he just sat down and started watching. Cause Buzz...scary, Leather Face...nice friendly dude. Apparently.

snowdragon

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »

The author is a bit more vehement than that. He stated openly that his books are about "Killing God" ( http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/12/1071125644900.html) and that he is "trying to undermine the  Christian  religion"("I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief. Mr. Lewis would think I was doing the devil's work."
(Wartofsky, Alona: 'The Last Word' in The Washington Post, 19 February 2001)) , he has been know to mock other people's  belief systems - especially Catholic beliefs.  I do not feel I need to support him in these endeavors, even by mere appearances