Author Topic: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread  (Read 6413 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 12:22:59 PM »
snowdragon, I get your reasons why you'd avoid that movie, for the same reason that I get people who avoid movies like The Fountainhead or Woody Allen films or such.  My take on the thread was that is was a list of movies that most find inappropriate for kids but good for adults, such that I'd list movies here that I would or wouldn't allow my kids to watch due to content but that I'd watch myself.  That's why I was also a bit confused why The Golden Compass would end up on someone's banned list here.  I didn't recall anything in the movie that I found to be particularly improper for kids, presuming that one didn't find the message to be improper in general.  I wouldn't bother listing films I don't let my kids watch because I won't watch them myself, because that list would be huge.

Virg

SiotehCat

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
My DS is 13 now, but we have never stopped him from watching anything.

I have gotten funny looks and little remarks when DS was much younger and we would take him to a horror movie or other rated R movie. That doesn't bother me. They don't know my DS.

During opening night of The Watchmen, two people that looked like they could have been 18-19 were not allowed in the theater because they didn't have their ID's. But they let me and my DS(then 9)because I am his guardian. That didn't go over well.

Carotte

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »
The way I see it the worst thing to do is not to allow a kid to watch any kind of movie (that might or might not be too much for them or above their age or whatever), but it's to do it and not talk it out with them.
There's few things that can or will scare them out for life if they've been explained to them in terms that they can understand.
And that's true even with movies that can seem inocuous to you. You never know what a kid will freak out about, Santa and clowns are the best exemple."
Maybe little Tim will be scared of the talking dog in the kids show and unphased by the violence in Pacific Rim...

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 02:06:13 PM »
snowdragon, I get your reasons why you'd avoid that movie, for the same reason that I get people who avoid movies like The Fountainhead or Woody Allen films or such.  My take on the thread was that is was a list of movies that most find inappropriate for kids but good for adults, such that I'd list movies here that I would or wouldn't allow my kids to watch due to content but that I'd watch myself.  That's why I was also a bit confused why The Golden Compass would end up on someone's banned list here.  I didn't recall anything in the movie that I found to be particularly improper for kids, presuming that one didn't find the message to be improper in general.  I wouldn't bother listing films I don't let my kids watch because I won't watch them myself, because that list would be huge.

Virg

The thing with His Dark Materials is that (a) most of the controversial material isn't in book one, and (b) the filmmakers gutted the story anyway and cut a ton of stuff out, and due to it flopping they only made the one. So just from the movie it's hard to figure out what people were upset about. Me, I enjoyed the books and I wish they'd had the chance to make the other two, because I'm curious how they'd have done them--though I'm not sure they wouldn't have gutted them too.

MrTango

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »
This is why I say you can see PG-13 when you are 13, R when you are 17 because I don't want to have to figure out what is and isn't appropriate ...those lovely people at the movie association have done that for me.

I'm of the exact opposite opinion: I don't trust (or want) some committee somewhere to determine what is and what is not appropriate for my (hypothetical, at this point) children.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that my opinion is different.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »
Oh, here's an example--The King's Speech was rated R despite being a pretty tame movie with a nice inspirational message--it's because there's one scene where the protagonist rattles off a string of swearwords as an anti-stuttering tool. I'd let my imaginary kids see that movie at about 12, as in old enough to have learned all those words at school anyway.  ;D

SlitherHiss

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »
Oh, here's an example--The King's Speech was rated R despite being a pretty tame movie with a nice inspirational message--it's because there's one scene where the protagonist rattles off a string of swearwords as an anti-stuttering tool. I'd let my imaginary kids see that movie at about 12, as in old enough to have learned all those words at school anyway.  ;D

Excellent example!

Funny that The King's Speech received the same rating as Quills, isn't it? I happily watched the first with my 13yo, and would have been fine with my youngest (DD8) seeing it, too, although she would have been bored to tears. The second? Well, I'm not sure I'll ever think my kids are old enough :D

Girly

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »
This is why I say you can see PG-13 when you are 13, R when you are 17 because I don't want to have to figure out what is and isn't appropriate ...those lovely people at the movie association have done that for me.

I'm of the exact opposite opinion: I don't trust (or want) some committee somewhere to determine what is and what is not appropriate for my (hypothetical, at this point) children.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that my opinion is different.

Same here.

When I was 10, my mom and dad let me watch Aliens right before bedtime. I suggest you NOT do that.

My son is almost three, and I don't plan on exactly forbidding him to watch anything - with the exception of maybe the horror movies, and movies that have graphic sexual scenes. 'Regular' violence does not bother me, and if he's 7 and wants to watch The Avengers or something, I'd have no problem letting him.

jtimenow

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »
Alkira6 please don't laugh but I don't know what a "mewling quim" is either

SlitherHiss

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »

mewling = whining

quim = well, it's a very naughty word for vagina.

Firecat

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »

mewling = whining

I wouldn't say it's a "very naughty" word, just an old-fashioned one - Elizabethan, maybe? But yes, Loki was, in essence, calling Black Widow a...hmmmm...very crude word beginning with "c."

SlitherHiss

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 05:29:23 PM »

mewling = whining

I wouldn't say it's a "very naughty" word, just an old-fashioned one - Elizabethan, maybe? But yes, Loki was, in essence, calling Black Widow a...hmmmm...very crude word beginning with "c."

That's what I meant, essentially. The modern equivalent is very crude, and it's clear by the context that that's exactly what he meant.

asb8

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
Listen the commentary track on the DVD. Joss was apparently very proud he slipped that past the censors.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 06:17:17 PM »
Listen the commentary track on the DVD. Joss was apparently very proud he slipped that past the censors.

He also did that in Firefly with "quim"and  "rutting."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »

Oh that Joss...I very much adore him. Now I'm gonna have to go re-watch the Avengers cause I missed that apparently...and then watch the commentary...oh...darn.  ;)