Author Topic: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread  (Read 6686 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »
Joss does that a lot, articulately in Buff with Spike and Giles.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 07:29:19 PM »
I cannot go past this thread without thinking, "You mean like The Green Door or Caligula?" Derp-a-derp.

What's the objection behind Golden Compass? I ask because two posters mentioned it as definite no--I read the trilogy it was based on years ago, and watched the movie but don't have much recollection of it besides it not being that good compared to the books! Was there a controversy/bad thing in it I missed, or was it just scary/violent?

It was originally intended to be the atheist response to the Chronicles of Narnia.  When the movies came out, there was a big to-do over the anti-religious themes in the film and how they would be confusing to kids raised in religious households - I'm assuming that's a big part of the objection.  (I haven't gotten around to reading the books yet, but I know our library had to buy many, many copies because they kept getting stolen "for the children's own good.")

The author is a bit more vehement than that. He stated openly that his books are about "Killing God" ( http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/12/1071125644900.html) and that he is "trying to undermine the  Christian  religion"("I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief. Mr. Lewis would think I was doing the devil's work."
(Wartofsky, Alona: 'The Last Word' in The Washington Post, 19 February 2001)) , he has been know to mock other people's  belief systems - especially Catholic beliefs.  I do not feel I need to support him in these endeavors, even by mere appearances

No kidding. I thought they were just boring as all get out, but now I feel like I ought to give them another shot. Funny the things you learn here!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

metallicafan

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:20 PM »
I have allowed my kids to watch:

Transformers
Fast and Furious
GhostRider
Star Wars
Iron Man

DH and I always watch with them so that we can explain what their seeing, the difference between real and make believe. 
I wouldn't let them watch horror movies.  No way.  I was about 10 when I watched the Exorcist by myself in the dark.  It scared the ehell out of me.  As an adult, however, it is my all time favorite horror movie!

katycoo

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 08:35:37 PM »
Movies I don't watch and would not allow my children to watch - anything horror-genre. There are a few M. Night Shyamalan (sp?) movies I might approve if age-appropriate (like Signs), but that one where the girl's head spins around or people are mauled by vampires or Freddy kills them in their dreams.... No. Absolutely not.

Hahaha I LOVED Freddy.  I was about 8 when my dad took me to see #6 in 3D at the movies.

I have no kids to make a decision for but ATEOTD different kids will cope with different themes.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »

I don't mind things like the Golden Compass or Narnia for that matter because I like the idea of my kid pondering other viewpoints.  I'm actually more inclined to ban the average romantic comedy than I am something like Golden Compass.  Questioning your faith is okay, not letting a woman say no and stalking her because you are entitled to that big dang kiss is not.

I'm of the same mind when it comes to watching movies that have different spiritual beliefs than ours.  My personal feeling is that if one is exposed to other schools of thought and is given the freedom to think it over, it can only really help them in the end. Even if they choose to stay with their original form of spirituality, they'll still come away with some thoughts on what others believe and hopefully end up more understanding and respectful of other's beliefs.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sebastienne

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »
I cannot go past this thread without thinking, "You mean like The Green Door or Caligula?" Derp-a-derp.

Me too! As in, "I think Deep Throat might be a little too much for my 7 year old, but he'd really enjoy Planet of the Babes."

snowdragon

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2013, 12:19:21 AM »
snowdragon, I get your reasons why you'd avoid that movie, for the same reason that I get people who avoid movies like The Fountainhead or Woody Allen films or such.  My take on the thread was that is was a list of movies that most find inappropriate for kids but good for adults, such that I'd list movies here that I would or wouldn't allow my kids to watch due to content but that I'd watch myself.  That's why I was also a bit confused why The Golden Compass would end up on someone's banned list here.  I didn't recall anything in the movie that I found to be particularly improper for kids, presuming that one didn't find the message to be improper in general.  I wouldn't bother listing films I don't let my kids watch because I won't watch them myself, because that list would be huge.

Virg

My take was that we were talking about films marketed to adults  that an kids might happen to like.  While that book might have been a YA book, the movie is more known by adults in my circles.  That said many of the children of parents in my circle know the movie are also of age that need sitters from time to time. One of the things I discuss before making an exception to having kids over, these days  is what types of movies they and I allow.

The last line in the OP was "What movies do you approve or disapprove of?"

So I included my lists of both -approved and disapproved ( or banned). :) 

I think there were a couple of us who listed Golden Compass in the disapproved list,,,and someone asked about reasons....we each explained our reasons.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2013, 04:32:12 AM »
I get completely puzzled by the ratings system.

Take Doctor Who, for example. It gets shown on UK television at teatime and is aimed at families.

When it comes out on DVD some of them are rated 12. If it's that inappropriate then why isn't it shown after the watershed* at 9pm?

*Anything shown before 9pm is supposed to be appropriate for children to watch, even if it isn't actually aimed at children. After 9pm the content can have a more adult nature.

I tend to watch things and then decide. So my children love Babylon 5 but certainly haven't seen all of it!

As for children's films- my poor mother was bought Bambi on DVD a couple of years ago. She still hasn't watched it, having been very upset when she saw it at the cinema when it came out. It's still in the box, with the seal intact...
NE England

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
I've known people who had problems with 'The Sound of Music'. 

They let their children watch but cut it off after the Wedding scene.  Their rationale is that they didn't want the kid's to be 'disturbed' by the Nazis. 

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »

They let their children watch but cut it off after the Wedding scene.  Their rationale is that they didn't want the kid's to be 'disturbed' by the Nazis.

As someone who had to read Number the Stars and watch The Devil's Arithmetic for English class at age 10, I can assure them that while what the Nazis did made me very sad, it's a part of history that kids need to know about. It's not as if watching that part of the movie is akin to making them watch The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

daen

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »

The Sound of Music was on TV every year around Christmas. Every year, my parents would let me watch until bedtime.
The last year I remember watching with them, "bedtime" was right after the wedding.

At the moment, I can't decide if it's more likely that they were protecting me, or that it really was bedtime.

Either way, I didn't get the whole story until I watched a kids' theatre production of it. Ironic, no?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »
Yeah, I got sent to bed because it was just do late. I had seen other movies and tv shows that depicted Nazis, WW II, the Holocaust, etc. that were more explicit.

drzim

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »

The Sound of Music was on TV every year around Christmas. Every year, my parents would let me watch until bedtime.
The last year I remember watching with them, "bedtime" was right after the wedding.

At the moment, I can't decide if it's more likely that they were protecting me, or that it really was bedtime.

Either way, I didn't get the whole story until I watched a kids' theatre production of it. Ironic, no?

This cracks me up---I was in *college* before I found out there was more to the Sound of Music after the wedding scene.  In my house, we were told it was over after the wedding scene and it made sense....

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
My rules were more about genere then particular movies.

Which my son understood the concept of fiction I was ok with many horror movies and scfi

But I was more strict about romantic comedies and action movies. I think it takes more maturity to see the unreality in a the stalking , cheating , 'he's a misogynistic womanizer but  2 weeks after meeting Miss right he;s really a great guy." then it does to understand the  Aliens and Freddy weren't  real.

So my son watched  Star Wars , Aliens , Evil Dead years before I would even  think about Pretty Woman  being appropriate.

Snooks

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2013, 11:14:11 AM »
Problem is you can't always tell what will affect kids, I broke down watching Black Beauty in the cinema, still can't watch The Goonies and my mom apologised for letting me watch My Girl less than a year after my best friend had died.