Author Topic: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread  (Read 4812 times)

Sebastienne

Re: What adult movies would you allow your kids to see *SO of Snowflakes thread
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
Problem is you can't always tell what will affect kids, I broke down watching Black Beauty in the cinema, still can't watch The Goonies and my mom apologised for letting me watch My Girl less than a year after my best friend had died.

Absolutely. The two most traumatic things I saw as a child were Bambi and the episode of All in the Family where Edith is attacked by a rapist. But we also watched a lot of MTV (not that we necessarily understood a lot of the "questionable" content in videos) and slasher films, which had nowhere near the same effect.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »
OK, Snooks, you got me there.  What's hard to watch about The Goonies?

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
Our older two have seen Down Periscope which does have some adult humor in it but they know not to repeat some of the things they've heard. Neither of them is comfortable with using curse words so we know that if we watch something which does involve cursing, they won't repeat it.

And while it's not really an adult movie they love the part of Deathly Hallows when Molly goes up against Bellatrix, and they love what she says but when they "repeat" it, they say "Not my daughter, you beep!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Snooks

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »

Virg

Sloth.

Betelnut

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2013, 03:20:28 PM »

It's a terrible movie?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
All In the Family is definitely not anything I'd let kids watch.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »

Really?  I was ~10 years old when it came out, and although I was only able to see it while visiting the US, our family always watched "Til Death Us Do Part", which was the original (UK) version.  It was always made perfectly clear to me that Archie/Alf and Mike were complete caricatures and that no sensible person really believed any of that or acted like that.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2013, 06:57:20 PM »
Yes, really.

Girlie

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Movies I don't watch and would not allow my children to watch - anything horror-genre. There are a few M. Night Shyamalan (sp?) movies I might approve if age-appropriate (like Signs), but that one where the girl's head spins around or people are mauled by vampires or Freddy kills them in their dreams.... No. Absolutely not.

Hahaha I LOVED Freddy.  I was about 8 when my dad took me to see #6 in 3D at the movies.

I have no kids to make a decision for but ATEOTD different kids will cope with different themes.

I know not everyone is like me, but I happen to be pretty weird, in that when I see - or even hear a vivid description - of something terribly gross or violent, it sticks with me. For years. I can't get it out of my head, and the terrorizing thoughts come back at the most inopportune moments. I also suffered from night terrors as a child and young teen, and let me tell you - that's enough to make anyone never, ever want to allow their kids around anything scary.

I actually don't mind the bittersweet and historical movies so much - so something like The Sound of Music would never even cross my mind as a possible ban. For that matter, I loved Steal Magnolias when I was young (though I love it even more as an adult, because the emotions are so much more poignant from this side of life). I also adore Fried Green Tomatoes (but didn't truly understand what happened to the ex-husband until adulthood).
I also loved Grease and Dirty Dancing, but I think I'd probably hold off on those a little longer (teen years) simply for the scrabble messages present in both and the seriously anti-feminist message in Grease.
Something like Ever After, though? In a heartbeat!

Sebastienne

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2013, 12:05:59 AM »

My parents liked to watch All in the Family reruns with us, starting around when my brother and I were 9 or 10, because it opened up some really good dialogue about issues like race, gender, and discrimination, which really were worth discussing as a family. But that one episode, which I caught after school one day on my own, haunted me for a really long time. Some things are not meant to have a laugh track, you know?

Teenyweeny

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2013, 04:20:21 AM »
Marketed to kids that are on the no list  off the bat
The incredible Mr. Fox
The Golden Compass

Ok, I get why some parents don't like The Golden Compass (it was a terrible film, but I loved all of the books as a kid), but I have to ask, why not Fantastic Mr Fox (which I assume is what you mean)?

Granted, I haven't seen the film, but I did read the book as a kid, and loved it! Is the film some kind of gritty reboot? I read the summary on wikipedia, and although it seems like they completely bastardized the plot (I suppose they'd have to, it was a very short book), I can't see anything to get offended by. Is it the stealing? The animal cruelty practiced by the farmers (although they are shown to be villains)? Is it the fact that farmers are cast as villains? I'm seriously scratching my head here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:24:28 AM by Teenyweeny »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »

Really?  I was ~10 years old when it came out, and although I was only able to see it while visiting the US, our family always watched "Til Death Us Do Part", which was the original (UK) version.  It was always made perfectly clear to me that Archie/Alf and Mike were complete caricatures and that no sensible person really believed any of that or acted like that.

Actually, there are people just like Archie Bunker.  My father was outraged that All in the Family made fun of that'good, sensible man'. 

Betelnut

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
I remember happily watching All in the Family and Monty Python's Flying Circus as a child. 
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Lynn2000

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
My parents were pretty lenient with me as a kid. My dad and I used to watch a lot of action and adventure movies together. My favorite movies were the Schwarzenegger Conan/Red Sonja trio (some dark stuff in those) and The Pirate Movie (rude humor). Every evening after school I watched reruns of Cheers and Night Court--my favorite character on Night Court was Dan the womanizer. Loved Grease and Dirty Dancing, too. This was elementary school, so <10 years old. A lot of the stuff that was just "talk" went over my head.

But we didn't watch Golden Girls or Mama's Family or that sitcom with Nell Carter because my mom didn't like the kind of humor in them. And movies tended to get turned off pretty fast if they had bad language (The Breakfast Club) or really explicit violence (RoboCop). Or animal death/violence, that was something I was really sensitive to--any kind of "animal movie" we just didn't even try, like Lassie or Milo & Otis. The flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz and the Ewok-killing scenes in Return of the Jedi traumatized me so much that I didn't watch either movie in full for about twenty-five years.

I was talking to my 11-year-old cousin the other day and she's started reading the Harry Potter books. She was telling me that the deal was, if she read the book first, she could then watch the movie based on the book, although that rule was going to change soon because the movies go from PG to PG-13 at, I think, number 4 or 5. And, recently she was unable to rewatch the first movie, because her 6-year-old sister was there and her parents thought it would be too much for her. Blew my mind, because I didn't remember my parents putting restrictions like that on me--of course I didn't have any siblings, either, so there was no second child to take into account. But I feel like with most things, it wasn't my parents saying, "No, you can't watch this," it was me saying, "No, I don't want to watch this." Maybe that just means they did their job well! ;)
~Lynn2000

Jones

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »
Last week, DH and I were watching an older Schwarzenegger film. I told DD (turns 8 next month) to watch with us. She popped in and out but said she didn't care for it and went off to play computer Hangman. Taking away the forbidden aspect seems to have worked well for her; she doesn't feel she has to watch something just because she can, she knows it'll still exist if she's interested in it "someday", if that makes sense.

As a side note, my DS (2) loves everything dinosaur, including Discovery channel documentaries; on a whim I let him watch part of Jurassic Park, and, well, he was quickly hooked. He gets that some dinos are carnivores and you have to be careful around carnivores. He himself is very careful with cats; he's been scratched before and is very gentle for his age. No nightmares from him yet.