Author Topic: Store bought pre-made foods that were/are surprisingly good!  (Read 6045 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: Store bought pre-made foods that were/are surprisingly good!
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
I can't remember who makes them now - it's either Banquet or Marie Callender's - but along with their pot pies, they also make fruit pies that are absolutely wonderful. I haven't been able to find them for a while now, and I'm really craving the berry one!

In my area, I can find the mixed berry pie (if that is the one you are referring to) all the time.  It's the cherry pie that I can't find lately.

Yes, that's the one! It's so good... *drools*

I'm going to try the other Hy-Vee (there's like...three within fifteen minutes of the house) - I think that's where I found them, not the Hy-Vee we usually shop at. They're not expensive, and I need to lay in a good amount of food for when the parents go to Colorado and leave me here to watch the house anyway!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

metallicafan

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2013, 02:00:27 PM »
I can't remember who makes them now - it's either Banquet or Marie Callender's - but along with their pot pies, they also make fruit pies that are absolutely wonderful. I haven't been able to find them for a while now, and I'm really craving the berry one!

In my area, I can find the mixed berry pie (if that is the one you are referring to) all the time.  It's the cherry pie that I can't find lately.

Yes, that's the one! It's so good... *drools*

I'm going to try the other Hy-Vee (there's like...three within fifteen minutes of the house) - I think that's where I found them, not the Hy-Vee we usually shop at. They're not expensive, and I need to lay in a good amount of food for when the parents go to Colorado and leave me here to watch the house anyway!

Marie Callender's had a cherry pie with the crumb topping.  My DH's favorite.  I can't find it anymore.   :'(

southern girl

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2013, 08:31:08 AM »
Bertolli's frozen pasta dinners -- we like the farfelli (sp?) alfredo with spinach.  Not too many calories per serving and less sodium than most frozen dinners.

I also use the jarred Indian sauces -- Patak's is the brand I use.  Not as good as homemade or Indian restaurant quality, but delicious nevertheless.

Modified to give the real name of the Bertolli dinner:  Chicken florentine with farfelli.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:41:46 AM by southern girl »

JoW

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »
Subway's pulled pork sandwich
HyVee's take-and-bake pizza - sold raw but not frozen.  You cook it at home.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 10:39:58 AM »
Blackened chicken mac and cheese at Meijer's. I think I could eat that every day and not get tired of it.

Library Dragon

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
Whole Foods used to always a curried chicken salad in the deli area.  I always bought it and Sometimes it made it home  :P.  The past few times I've been (I don't have a local WF and stop when driving through a certain city).  It's making me sad.   :'(

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »
Whole Foods used to always a curried chicken salad in the deli area.  I always bought it and Sometimes it made it home  :P.  The past few times I've been (I don't have a local WF and stop when driving through a certain city).  It's making me sad.   :'(

My local WF still has the curried chicken salad.  You're right it's good.  Firehook Bakery also has a divine tarragon chicken salad.  That stuff never makes it home. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Store bought premade foods that were/are surprisingly good!
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2013, 01:42:37 PM »
Almost anything by Marie Callendar's.  Especially the chicken pot pie.

I agree. MC frozen food is pretty good.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 01:43:55 PM »

Wegman's dumplings. I cannot stop eating them.

There is a Wegman's a mile from my house. I love that store! I have to try these now. Are they frozen?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »
Bertolli's frozen pasta dinners -- we like the farfelli (sp?) alfredo with spinach.  Not too many calories per serving and less sodium than most frozen dinners.

I also use the jarred Indian sauces -- Patak's is the brand I use.  Not as good as homemade or Indian restaurant quality, but delicious nevertheless.

Per the bolded: they are very good!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »
Bertolli's frozen pasta and soup.
Wegman's soup (at the deli), especially the rotisserie soup.
Trader Joe's does fabulous frozen entrees. Their mac 'n cheese is the best I've had.

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
Marie Callender's had a cherry pie with the crumb topping.  My DH's favorite.  I can't find it anymore.   :'(

metallicafan, check your PM's.  ;D

metallicafan

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2013, 11:41:56 PM »

metallicafan, check your PM's.  ;D
Thank you!!!  :D

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 12:37:05 AM »
Walmart (yes, really) Market Fresh pizzas. I freeze them and add a few minutes in the cooking time and they are far, far better than any I make fresh or order out.

In the dairy case at Walmart, I found Yucatan guacamole,  95% avaocado and the rest spices. Better than my homemade, and keeps fresh-tasting longer.

I still love the old Pillsbury ciinamon rolls that we have to bam on the counter and bake for 20 mins. They have been around for (60?) years, for good reason!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 08:32:35 AM »
Grand's Flaky Layer Buttermilk biscuits. Delicious.

Because of this thread, I stopped and bought Marie Callendar's Cheesy Chicken and Rice for lunch and an Amy's Cheese Enchiladas for tomorrow.  ;D