Author Topic: Store bought pre-made foods that were/are surprisingly good!  (Read 6048 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Store bought pre-made foods that were/are surprisingly good!
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
Deep Hot Mix. 

This stuff is addictive.  It's made in New Jersey but you can only find it in Indian grocery stores. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »
Most of Stoffers is pretty good, but I really like their french bread pizza and Swedish meatballs.  People keep raving about Ikea's meatballs and when I finally tried it, I didn't like it at all.  I prefer Stoffers.

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
Hy-Vee's deli makes an oreo crème floof that is outstanding.

My favorite pizza is a Jack's plain cheese (frozen).  I like my pizza browned all over (DH does not *snerk*) so on Fridays when I get off work at 1, I buy a Jack's and eat the whole darn thing all by myself.  I save up my WW points all week for it!  Thus I get my pizza fix and it's cooked perfectly.

Jennie-O makes a turkey loaf that's quite good.  It's processed, yes, but it's not many WW points for all that, and it's white meat.  And, most importantly, the kids will eat it.  The only problem is that it takes 2+ hours to bake in the oven, so it's a weekend dinner item.  But that + mashed taties + a veg = a good healthy supper for the family.

lilfox

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »
I still love the old Pillsbury ciinamon rolls that we have to bam on the counter and bake for 20 mins. They have been around for (60?) years, for good reason!

Ooh, you reminded me - I love the Pillsbury orange rolls so, so much! I need to revisit the cinnamon ones too, aren't they tied in with Cinnabon now or something?  And the Pillsbury crescent rolls are a decades-old staple of my family's holiday meals.  My MIL was a little scandalized at the first Thanksgiving I hosted because I used these and not "nicer" or homemade rolls, but now she occasionally serves them too.  I notice there are never any left over unless I bake up like 4 tubes' worth.

Also, I know tastes vary greatly but I really like Stovetop stuffing.  I made my own stuffing a year or two ago and it did taste better, but Stovetop works better in leftover turkey casseroles. Something about the texture, perhaps.

metallicafan

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 11:19:44 PM »
I still love the old Pillsbury ciinamon rolls that we have to bam on the counter and bake for 20 mins. They have been around for (60?) years, for good reason!

Ooh, you reminded me - I love the Pillsbury orange rolls so, so much! I need to revisit the cinnamon ones too, aren't they tied in with Cinnabon now or something?  And the Pillsbury crescent rolls are a decades-old staple of my family's holiday meals.  My MIL was a little scandalized at the first Thanksgiving I hosted because I used these and not "nicer" or homemade rolls, but now she occasionally serves them too.  I notice there are never any left over unless I bake up like 4 tubes' worth.

Also, I know tastes vary greatly but I really like Stovetop stuffing.  I made my own stuffing a year or two ago and it did taste better, but Stovetop works better in leftover turkey casseroles. Something about the texture, perhaps.

I love Stovetop stuffing.  I make the stuffing for pork sometimes when I cook pork tenderloin.  Heck, I love all the flavors. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »
I've never been a stuffing fan.  I mean I don't recoil in horror if some happens to get on my plate, but stuffing never did it for me. 

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2013, 07:47:14 AM »
Trader Joe's frozen samosas and frozen pakoras. I could eat those every day.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »
Deep Hot Mix. 

This stuff is addictive.  It's made in New Jersey but you can only find it in Indian grocery stores.

What exactly is it? I live very close to a town that has a huge Indian population.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
I also like Costco rotisserie chicken.  I use them in a lot of things in addition to eating it straight - pot pies, enchiladas, chicken salad.

Stouffer's meat lasagna is pretty good, too.  I realize it's not the same as regular lasagna, but it's so tasty and easy.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »
Deep Hot Mix. 

What exactly is it? I live very close to a town that has a huge Indian population.

It's like an indian version of Chex or trail mix.  But spicier and yummier. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »
Deep Hot Mix. 

It's like an indian version of Chex or trail mix.  But spicier and yummier.

Thanks! I can be at an Indian grocery store in less than 5 minutes.  :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Deep Hot Mix. 

It's a bagged snack mix with lentils, dried peas, raisins and various kinds of crackers.  It's vaguely reminiscent of the Japanese snack mix but it IS hot.  The bag suggests it for breakfast but I wouldn't recommend that unless you really want a morning jolt.  However, there's nothing better with a glass of ice cold beer. 

lilfox

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »
Costco's Kirkland brand beef and sausage lasagna.  The Costco near us stocks two kinds of lasagna, this is the better one (the other is okay, just bland).  It's a little spicy so DD doesn't like it but everyone else we've served it to raves about it.  And you can microwave or oven bake it, doesn't seem to affect the final outcome at all.

Costco sometimes stocks frozen butter chicken and tikka masala chicken (I can't remember the brand off-hand) that's really good, but it's not always available.

And seaonally they carry big tubs of turkey gravy that is really good.  Granted, I like most kinds of jarred gravy (in addition to homemade) but this was a standout.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
Found a link to Hot Mix by Deep.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Mix-Extra-14-1-Oz/dp/B002KO0OX2

They have a different brand of that product at the small grocery near me. It is so good!