General Etiquette > Life...in general

A spotless home.

<< < (9/9)

SamiHami:
I remember growing up a good friend would rarely come over to my house. She always wanted me to come to hers, which I always found a bit uncomfortable because it was such a mess all the time. Her mother did no cleaning whatsoever--literally laying in bed all day on her days off, and calling for friend to fetch her iced tea or whatever she happened to want. Friend was responsible for keeping up with the laundry and what little cleaning ever got done.

OTOH, my parents always have (and still do) keep a very neat, clean home. It's not perfect, of course, but it's free of clutter, the floors are always vacuumed and laundry was kept up with. It's just the way it was. I asked friend one time why she never wanted to come play at my house and she said that she was always uncomfortable there and that it had the vibe of being like a museum, because it was always too clean.

Perspectives. That's what it all comes down to. In her mind her dirty, cluttered house was normal.

She's an extreme example though. Now at age fifty she lives in utter filth and I refuse to go to her house because there are bugs crawling everywhere and it smells horrific. She her husband and kids have no notion of throwing away garbage; there are old fast food wrappers all over the floors throughout the house and nothing ever gets cleaned. I guarantee I would starve before eating anything that comes out of her kitchen.

MOM21SON:

--- Quote from: Foureyesonemouth on September 14, 2013, 02:37:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: lkdrymom on September 13, 2013, 06:48:50 AM ---I was thinking the same thing...she is fishing for compliments.

--- End quote ---

I don't know. I have a good friend whose house looks neat to me but she sometimes feels that it's out of whack.

I think it's just a matter of perspective on what clean is. My idea of clean and my grandmother's idea of tidy are close but I'm willing to let things be a bit more untidy.

OP, are these planned visits or are you just stopping by for a minute?

--- End quote ---

Both planned and unplanned.  Same for her to my house.  She actually was away on vacation for a week so I saw her today and asked about her trip she said she had fun, but has so much cleaning to do because the house is filthy.

Its ok. I really should ask her to plant some plants in my yard.

Foureyesonemouth:
I think I'd just note it as something that's important to her and maybe make a compliment about a particular feature of her house or something if I was over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version