Author Topic: How would you respond to this?  (Read 4034 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
How would you respond to this?
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
Niece (22 yrs. old) sent me an e-mail that said "Thinking about you" along with a link to a web site about a new weight-loss diet pill/program. That was it.

There were two other people on the address line (one I recognize, the other is a maybe I think I might know them) and the return e-mail address is legit so I do not think it was spam.

BG: The last I saw Niece was at her sisters HS graduation party (June) and prior to that was last Christmas. We don't communicate other than at family gatherings. At the grad party, we sat down together and caught-up with each other for over an hour, laughed and had a good time. Our relationship is extremely friendly even though we see/talk to each other only maybe twice a year. /end BG

How would you politely respond to Niece's e-mail?

I'm at a loss for words. I kinda want to send a glib response, but maybe a "Thank you for thinking of me" would be more appropriate? Or, to be more frank as to what I'm feeling "Why did you send this to me?" which sounds rude to me.

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: How would you respond to this?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
Is it possible her email may have gotten hacked?  My email sent a similar email to my contacts, except it's for an employment agency instead of a diet program.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
I would respond with "oops, looks like your email got hacked!" even if you don't think it was really spam. It conveys that you don't think it's something she would ever legitimately send. Her response to you, I think, will inform your next reply. If she takes the out, then I'd move on with no hard feelings. If she insists "No, I meant it for you, I thought it would be helpful!", then I would say outright, "That's very hurtful. I'm very upset you would send something like that to me."

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »
It's very possible that Niece's email account has been attacked by a virus. These viruses use the addresses in email  accounts to send spam.

I'd either ignore the message, or contact her and warn her that her email may be compromised.

And if you opened the link in the email, check your computer for viruses, as it may have been infected as well.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
It's possible that her email was hacked.  I'd assume it was and alert her.  If it wasn't . . . well, point made.

My yahoo email got hacked, and everyone one my mailing list received a email that said something like "Thinking of you" plus a link.  Some people assumed it was legit and clicked on the link  ::).  Fortunately, no harm done.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

veronaz

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »
Respond by telling niece her email has been hacked, and she should change her password on her email account.  I received the exact same email, same wording, over a year ago and so did several people I know (one who is a size 4).

Lindee

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »
Never ever click on links sent like this. If your niece was actually rude enough to send you a weight loss program link (unless you had been asking her for it) like this without an explanatory note then she doesn't deserve a reply anyway but I seriously doubt it was intentionally sent by her. I would ask her if anything was wrong with her account as I had got a weird email from her to give her a heads up that her email account was compromised.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »
This is spam. Either she's been hacked or maybe someone she knows has been hacked (sometimes these hackers will mine names from other people's address books).

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
WOWzers!

Thank you soooo much, everybody!

I really thought it was legit because it had her own e-mail as a return address! Those spammers are getting trickier and more believable, aren't they. :o

I called and talked to her father. He asked "Was it this e-mail address?" He said that he received something similar and that he planned on talking to Niece tonight when she got home.

I will run my virus-scan program . . . do I need to change my e-mail address? (please say no.)

I'm glad I asked.

something.new.every.day

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »
No need to change your address, but I would change your password just to be safe.  What a pain! 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:23 PM »
Never ever click on links sent like this. If your niece was actually rude enough to send you a weight loss program link (unless you had been asking her for it) like this without an explanatory note then she doesn't deserve a reply anyway but I seriously doubt it was intentionally sent by her. I would ask her if anything was wrong with her account as I had got a weird email from her to give her a heads up that her email account was compromised.

Part of the address in the link was Facebook Something, so I thought that Niece was sending me some fun photos or whatnot.

There wasn't anything about weight loss until I connected to the link.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
I remember getting something odd like that a while back and it may have even been about weight loss, but am not sure.  It was from a friend of mine and I had the same "What the heck!?" reaction.  Her e mail had been hacked. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Daydream

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »
I agree with everything that's been said here.

Editing to say that I'm glad you found out it was spam.  I don't know how I missed your update before I posted.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:23:20 PM by Daydream »

veronaz

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
The disgusting part is that this trick causes hurt and unjustified anger.  A friend who has (unsuccessfully) fought a serious weight battle got that same email and before she found out what was going on she was upset at someone and cried for several days.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 09:33:20 PM »
It is spam..I have received them from my sister, my DD, and numerous friends..and they did not send any of them.  Do let her know you are getting this spam from her email (check her email address against what you received)  so she knows and can let others know she didn't send it