Author Topic: Is it wrong to request this of a customer?  (Read 3744 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Is it wrong to request this of a customer?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
I think that is your problem.   Hands should not be that close to a blade when slicing to cause you injury if startled.

Actually, in North America it is the employers' problem - well, less than the immediacy of the problem of the person with a bleeding digit, but from a legal standpoint.

It is not enough for an employer to provide a worker with a sharp implement, and say, "Now, keep body parts out of the sharp bits, OK?" If they find that there is a repeated pattern of people getting hurt, they *must* investigate a way of preventing these accidents. Because workers are never 100% perfect, and if there's a way to hurt yourself with a machine, someone will find it unintentionally.

If these accidents are being reported under Workers' Comp, the company may find itself in trouble for not saying "here is a problem, let us solve it," instead of "learn to keep your hands out."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 03:38:46 PM »
I agree with PPs I cant think of a slicer I've seen in the last 20 years that a person could accidentally slice themselves while slicing from being startled. I'm really trying  to picture a person jumping in a way they could slice their finger.

In all this time no deli worker has ever told me " you're distracting me , you have to leave and come back."  I have had a few times if there was a very long line they take lists form all the customers who have lists. 

SlitherHiss

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
I managed a deli for 3 years, over 10 years ago (so not ultra modern slicers) and I'm with others that either there is something wrong with your machines or with your work style, not with customer behavior. Unless you are at the very very very last bit of something, like the last inch of a point of roast beef, there should be no chance of you slicing yourself. At the deli I worked in, and the one at my local grocery where I order from now, the slicer has a metal plate with prongs on it that swings over and you use that to hold the meat, not your hands. If you are using your hands, then you should have a protective glove. and regardless of whats protecting you, you should be holding the meat via a flat handed top pressure, so your hand should be inches away from the blade.

This.

OP, I am very concerned if your employer is not requiring you to wear protective gloves, nor training you to properly operate the slicer.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »
An anonymous call to either your state or federal OSHA would be a good idea. It does sound like an unsafe working situation to me.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »
I agree with previous posters that this safety issue needs to be handled by your employer, not by asking customers to leave while their meat is sliced.

Besides the fact that it's the employer's responsibility, not the customers', making this request of customers really isn't going to protect you. First, not all customers will cooperate. Second, even if every customer does exactly as instructed, you can still be startled by new customers walking up to the counter, by people walking past the counter, by a coworker dropping something or otherwise making unexpected noise, etc. Your safety should not rely on preventing anything from startling you--instead, you need safety measures that will protect you even when you are startled.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
I agree with the previous posters, this sounds like a pretty serious safety issue and the fault of the employer rather than the customer.  If your employer won't do anything (protective gloves, better training, whatever the problem is) I agree with Art that a proper authority should be notified. 

I agree with previous posters that this safety issue needs to be handled by your employer, not by asking customers to leave while their meat is sliced.

Besides the fact that it's the employer's responsibility, not the customers', making this request of customers really isn't going to protect you. First, not all customers will cooperate. Second, even if every customer does exactly as instructed, you can still be startled by new customers walking up to the counter, by people walking past the counter, by a coworker dropping something or otherwise making unexpected noise, etc. Your safety should not rely on preventing anything from startling you--instead, you need safety measures that will protect you even when you are startled.

This is a very good point -- asking customers to move back may just give you a false sense of security and lead you to hurt yourself worse if something unexpected startles you.