Author Topic: Honduran ground beef with plantains and cabbage  (Read 540 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Honduran ground beef with plantains and cabbage
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:58:44 AM »
Last night I went to a Honduran restaurant, and had a dish that they just called "Ground beef with plantains and cabbage."  It was incredible, and I'm looking for a recipe.

It seemed to contain ground beef, carrots, something potato-ish that wasn't potato (yucca, maybe?), cabbage, small green non-spicy veggie (green pepper? pickles?) and a creamy sauce, served on a bed of sliced fried plantains.

It was savory and yummy beyond belief. 

My Google-fu is failing me. The sauce is clearly the heart of it, and I'm wondering if that's a standard that would allow me to fake the rest.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: Honduran ground beef with plantains and cabbage
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
It sounds like an "American" version of a Honduras recipe.  The cream sauce is what's throwing me for a loop as typically they don't have that in their cuisine unless it's a crema sauce. (type of sour cream)  Did it taste like that?  If so, you can buy Mexican crema which is a close alternative and a white crumbly salty cheese, and blend it together.  If you can find Honduras white cheese, if not a farmers white cheese or Mexican crumbling cheese or ricotta salata (italian crumbling cheese).  Last resort would be a feta.

The beef is probably like a piccadillo made with a sofrito of onions, green onions and garlic.  Typically it's sweet potato or yucca or even malanga as you mentioned along with everything else and simmering it till tender.  Add the crema sauce over it right at the end.  The dish I am thinking of also had a green sauce.  But it was in a bottle, and the name is escaping me. 

I have a Honduran cousin and friends and grew up eating their foods.  So delish!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
It sounds like an "American" version of a Honduras recipe.  The cream sauce is what's throwing me for a loop as typically they don't have that in their cuisine unless it's a crema sauce. (type of sour cream)  Did it taste like that?  If so, you can buy Mexican crema which is a close alternative and a white crumbly salty cheese, and blend it together.  If you can find Honduras white cheese, if not a farmers white cheese or Mexican crumbling cheese or ricotta salata (italian crumbling cheese).  Last resort would be a feta.

The beef is probably like a piccadillo made with a sofrito of onions, green onions and garlic.  Typically it's sweet potato or yucca or even malanga as you mentioned along with everything else and simmering it till tender.  Add the crema sauce over it right at the end.  The dish I am thinking of also had a green sauce.  But it was in a bottle, and the name is escaping me. 

I have a Honduran cousin and friends and grew up eating their foods.  So delish!

Cool - thanks!  We live right down the street from a Fiesta supermarket, which is mostly Central and South American groceries, so I can get crema and queso fresca easily.

I'm thinking to slice the plaintains and saute in a little butter. Would that work?

ETA that the restaurant was a dive in a shabby industrial strip mall, with no staff that spoke English. Which to me says: Great!  They're not catering to American tastes!
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »
Were the plaintains crispy and savory?  Or soft and sweet?  Or semi sweet and semi crispy exterior and soft insides?