Author Topic: Please help find this book title and a movie title . . .  (Read 623 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Please help find this book title and a movie title . . .
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »
2 questions -- My google-fu is failing me. :'( so I'm turning to you for help, because you all are great at this sort of thing. ;D

The book: I thought for sure that the book was titled "The Other" and am fairly certain the author is Dean Koontz, but I'm not finding anything in his title-listing. It's about a really smart dog and "the other thing" that escaped from a scientific laboratory. The dog befriends a man (who was planning on committing suicide) and "the other thing" chases the man & dog creating havoc throughout the book . . . Any thoughts as to the title/author of this book? (If you need more info, I can supply it.)

The movie: Had a big-name actor as the main character. I almost think Al Pacino, but could be wrong. About a mild-mannered, but frustrated, man who is stuck in a traffic jam. He leaves his car at some point. One thing leads to another and through various events that weren't necessarily his fault, he ends up committing murder . . .

Any ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! ;D

Kaypeep

Re: Please help find this book title and a movie title . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
is the movie "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/?ref_=nm_knf_t3

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »

That was going to be my guess, too.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 04:43:20 PM »

That was going to be my guess, too.

I'll third it.  That was my first guess too.

PeterM

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
2 questions -- My google-fu is failing me. :'( so I'm turning to you for help, because you all are great at this sort of thing. ;D

The book: I thought for sure that the book was titled "The Other" and am fairly certain the author is Dean Koontz, but I'm not finding anything in his title-listing. It's about a really smart dog and "the other thing" that escaped from a scientific laboratory. The dog befriends a man (who was planning on committing suicide) and "the other thing" chases the man & dog creating havoc throughout the book . . . Any thoughts as to the title/author of this book? (If you need more info, I can supply it.)

Sounds like Koontz's book Watchers to me.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking

Library Dragon

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »
The book is "Watchers". You're right it is by Dean Koontz.  The Other is the other experiment from the lab.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

andi

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
I'm so happy - I actually knew the movie!!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
I knew you all would come through and find the answers! THANK YOU! ;D

Question -- did you know the answers off of the top of your head?

Or did you do a google search? If so, what did you google for? I'd like to hone down my google-fu abilities, I guess I was searching for the wrong things. :-\

Yes to both answers. ;D

I thought the movie was titled something like "Traffic Jam" and I had the starring actor completely wrong. No wonder I couldn't find it.

The book . . . at least I got the author right! Thanks for finding the title. I think it's a great book and wanted to read it again.

I appreciate the help! ;D

Library Dragon

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »
Big Dean Koontz fan, so I knew that one.  I knew movie starred Michael Douglas, but fortunately others knew the title.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »
I knew the movie was Michael Douglas but I would have had to look up the title.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:25 PM »
Can I have help with some movie titles? They're both old and hard to find.

First one is black and white, is about Spanish or Italian immigrants coming to New York and they meet this girl who works for the courthouse. She helps hom find his Uncle John, who owns a restaurant. They all eventually move to California where his Uncke John becomes a citizen on his deathbed.
There's also an amusing scene when he tries to take some dough on a bus and it expands.

The other is about this couple, newlywed s and one is a journalist. He has to hide in a hotel after they get married because he saw something that could get him killed. So he pretends to her that he's travelling all over the country following this group.
There's a scene early in the movie when he takes her to a boxing match, and thy go adt an area here rope are holding up newspapers and he explains to her they onto want o get hit by blood.

Saint Abby

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »
Can I have help with some movie titles? They're both old and hard to find.

First one is black and white, is about Spanish or Italian immigrants coming to New York and they meet this girl who works for the courthouse. She helps hom find his Uncle John, who owns a restaurant. They all eventually move to California where his Uncke John becomes a citizen on his deathbed.
There's also an amusing scene when he tries to take some dough on a bus and it expands.

The other is about this couple, newlywed s and one is a journalist. He has to hide in a hotel after they get married because he saw something that could get him killed. So he pretends to her that he's travelling all over the country following this group.
There's a scene early in the movie when he takes her to a boxing match, and thy go adt an area here rope are holding up newspapers and he explains to her they onto want o get hit by blood.

The second movie sounds like Designing Women starring Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall.  I love it.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050306/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_33

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
That's it! Thanks!