Author Topic: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......  (Read 14138 times)

veronaz

I finally worked up the nerve to taste......
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
Funyuns!  For the first time.  Not bad.  Not something I'd buy a lot, but okay for a snack sometimes.

I like fried onion rings, but don't get them very often.

jmarvellous

Re: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:10:12 PM »
Funyuns are definitely a rare, not overly desirable unless I've got a weird craving food. The short-lived Wasabi Funyuns were better, I thought.

I finally tried caviar a while ago. Sometimes a first try (or tries--we had 4 quality varieties) is also a last. No thank you!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »
Dubliner cheese. (There's a very, very, very large cheese display at the newly-renovated grocery nearby. I sort of picked a cheese at random. ;D)

It's really not bad! Definitely strong and salty with a sort of Swiss cheese aftertaste. I do like it though.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Pen^2

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 01:45:29 AM »
I had to Google what a funyun was! I had imagined it was something akin to a truffle :P

I finally tasted sea cucumber. Delicious! But the texture was revolting. Soup is the way to go.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 01:55:18 AM »
Guacamole! DH can't stand avocado, so when I was on vacation by myself in June, some new friends and I went to a taco place for dinner, and I ordered a taco salad with guacamole, it wasn't all that great, a tad too spicy for my taste, won't order that again!

The new Lays flavored chips, they were nasty! The Maple Moose tasted like building fire smoke, no maple taste whatsoever,  the Grilled Cheese and Ketchup tasted like sweet ketchup chips, the Perogy Platter was basically a mix of Sour Cream and Onion and Sour Cream and Bacon flavored chips, and the Caesar Salad was just ranch flavored, no garlic flavor whatsoever!

Funyons, haven't had them in a while, will definitely get them in the future!

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 02:33:46 AM »
Guacamole! DH can't stand avocado, so when I was on vacation by myself in June, some new friends and I went to a taco place for dinner, and I ordered a taco salad with guacamole, it wasn't all that great, a tad too spicy for my taste, won't order that again!

I never eat guacamole unless it's one of those restaurants where they make it fresh in front of you. There is nothing to touch fresh guacamole -my mother and my niece both said they hated avocado until they tasted home-made guacamole -  but the commercial stuff in restaurants and from the supermarket is often an abomination.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

CakeBeret

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 03:57:42 AM »

I never eat guacamole unless it's one of those restaurants where they make it fresh in front of you. There is nothing to touch fresh guacamole -my mother and my niece both said they hated avocado until they tasted home-made guacamole -  but the commercial stuff in restaurants and from the supermarket is often an abomination.

Agreed. Chipotle is the only restaurant whose guacamole I will eat - most places it is revolting.

Mine would probably be salmon. As a kid, I was forced to eat plain canned salmon with bones - blech! I finally worked up the nerve to try salmon at a restaurant recently, and I've been hooked ever since.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

onikenbai

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 04:29:56 AM »
The new Lays flavored chips, they were nasty! The Maple Moose tasted like building fire smoke, no maple taste whatsoever,  the Grilled Cheese and Ketchup tasted like sweet ketchup chips, the Perogy Platter was basically a mix of Sour Cream and Onion and Sour Cream and Bacon flavored chips, and the Caesar Salad was just ranch flavored, no garlic flavor whatsoever!

So it wasn't just me who looked that the flavour offerings and thought really?  We have to keep one of these?  Given the current bevy of options, I'm surprised there isn't a poutine contender, but I don't want to give them any ideas.  Some things just aren't meant to be made into snacks with a shelf life.

pharmagal

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 04:51:45 AM »
My husband tried Frogs Legs last night.  There was no way he could convince me to try them. 

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 06:36:39 AM »
Sushi. I was in the local supermarket, saw it, decided what the heck and bought some.....it wasn't that bad!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 07:20:10 AM »
Blue cheese at the Bastille Day event.  Never again.

mharbourgirl

• I am what I am, not what everyone wishes me to be
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
So it wasn't just me who looked that the flavour offerings and thought really?  We have to keep one of these?  Given the current bevy of options, I'm surprised there isn't a poutine contender, but I don't want to give them any ideas.  Some things just aren't meant to be made into snacks with a shelf life.

Lays already has a Fries n' Gravy flavour, sorry.  At least they do here in the Maritimes.  ;D

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »
My sister and I went to a Shoney's restaurant. We split a serving of frogs legs. It was okay. But whoever prepared them used black pepper as the seasoning. Every bite after the 1st one, the pepper taste got more intense.

Is that the way it's supposed to be prepared?

metallicafan

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
Sushi. Never again.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »
My sister and I went to a Shoney's restaurant. We split a serving of frogs legs. It was okay. But whoever prepared them used black pepper as the seasoning. Every bite after the 1st one, the pepper taste got more intense.

Is that the way it's supposed to be prepared?

Frog sets can be prepared several ways.  My father always liked them breaded and pan fried like chicken.  A traditional French version includes garlic, onion and tomato. Both are delicious.

Black pepper is not the major ingredient when preparing frog legs.