News:

• April 26, 2018, 02:51:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......  (Read 35755 times)

Thipu1

Re: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
Raw oysters! I went out to a restaurant with a friend who had some sort of coupon for tons of oysters for cheap. I'd had oysters before, but always cooked in some manner, usually at a sushi restaurant. Turned out these were super fresh raw ones. I was a bit tentative but we were already there and I didn't want to back out then, so I went for it. They were pretty good! I still prefer them cooked, and probably wouldn't go out of my way to do raw ones again, but the different kinds of sauces were fun.

I really like them raw too, but hate them cooked.  I had a friend who convinced me to try some clam and mussel cooked dish at a buffet.  I didn't like the smell of them and I found them really nasty. 
The texture was really weird and they tasted very metallic to me.

I love them raw and never eat them cooked because they are so inferior when cooked that even though they're fine/good/whatever it leaves me disappointed.

I love raw oysters but eat them rarely because they're so expensive. 

Many years ago, we attended the annual meeting of a company in which Mr. Thipu held stock.  There was a great reception with a raw bar.  During the course of the event I consumed almost four dozen of the things.  It's been a subject of jokes in the family ever since but I'm not in the least ashamed. 

cwm

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »
Maybe you're making it the wrong way. I make porridge (oatmeal) on the stove with milk and then serve with more milk and your choice of topping. I gave golden syrup, DH has honey.

I love it, dills you up and keeps you warm.

Does it pickle you too?  ;)

I'm in complete agreement on marshmallows being just wrong. I like me some gummi bears and jello, but marshmallows just make me sick. I like the hard ones in cereal, but can't do anything else. Makes it really awkward for people who say they're bringing stuff for s'mores on camping trips and really just mean roasted marshamllows and I have no dessert that night. :(

I know I will never ever ever try Rocky Mountain Oysters. I like to think I'm brave and will try a lot of things. I ate salmon eggs straight out of the salmon I just fished out of the river. They were like little salty grapes, not too bad. But there is a huge difference between eggs and male reproductive parts. Sorry, not happening. Actually, I'm not even really sorry about it.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »
Maybe you're making it the wrong way. I make porridge (oatmeal) on the stove with milk and then serve with more milk and your choice of topping. I gave golden syrup, DH has honey.

I'm in complete agreement on marshmallows being just wrong. I like me some gummi bears and jello, but marshmallows just make me sick. I like the hard ones in cereal, but can't do anything else. Makes it really awkward for people who say they're bringing stuff for s'mores on camping trips and really just mean roasted marshamllows and I have no dessert that night. :(

I know I will never ever ever try Rocky Mountain Oysters. I like to think I'm brave and will try a lot of things. I ate salmon eggs straight out of the salmon I just fished out of the river. They were like little salty grapes, not too bad. But there is a huge difference between eggs and male reproductive parts. Sorry, not happening. Actually, I'm not even really sorry about it.
Have to agree with you on this. I just can't make myself try one and I'm a pretty adventurous eater.

But I also never thought I'd try tripe or tongue, but realized I'd eaten menudo so I've had tripe and I've eaten Tacos de Lengua so I have had tongue.

Maybe if they put the rocky moutain oyster in a taco, I could try it.

cwm

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »

Have to agree with you on this. I just can't make myself try one and I'm a pretty adventurous eater.

But I also never thought I'd try tripe or tongue, but realized I'd eaten menudo so I've had tripe and I've eaten Tacos de Lengua so I have had tongue.

Maybe if they put the rocky moutain oyster in a taco, I could try it.

I don't mind trying tongue. It is, after all, just muscle tissue like any other. Not sure about tripe, but I'm up for haggis, so why not?

Actually, I have tried beef liver once. Never again. Ick.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »
And I keep trying oatmeal hoping eventually I'll like it. I don't. It's the texture.

I'm not alone!  I cannot STAND oatmeal.  My parents were always making it when I was a kid, especially in the winter ("it'll stick to your ribs!), but the texture made me gag.  I could only stomach it with tons of golden syrup.

There's at least three of it. I keep trying it once in a while. I think I should like it. I like other hot grains (grits/polenta and upma) and I like oatmeal cookies and oatmeal bread. I have had instant, regular, steel cut, plain, with fruit, with peanut butter, etc. I have learned to like things that I had once not liked. It is healthy, cheap and easy to make so I wish I liked it.

I'm the same way! I love oatmeal in just about everything, I eat cereal that has uncooked oats in it, I even like oatmeal baths! I'm not a huge fan of grits, but I tried polenta recently and loved it (there's a chance I've always just had bad grits, they were just kinda...plain tasting).

Oatmeal is kind of like...sticky mushy for me. I love the smell of it cooking though. My mom swears it's my grandma's fault. She lived an orphanage as a kid for a time, and that's all the had from breakfest, lunch, and dinner (according to her), and she hates it. So mom's convinced grandma fed me horror stories about oatmeal and that's why I don't like it.

Syfygeek

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »

IMO, oatmeal is one of those foods people either love it, hate it, or make themselves eat it for health reasons.  I've never liked it in anyway, shape, form, or topping.  I'd eat it when I had to.  It has never "stuck with me"...it is seriously one of those foods that I am stark raving mad STARVING an hour after eating it.

Oatmeal smells like poverty. ;D
I've never tried steel cut but now I'm intrigued enough to try them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »

And I keep trying oatmeal hoping eventually I'll like it. I don't. It's the texture. Too mushy/sticky or something.

I can't stand cooked oatmeal - icky texture. I put raw rolled oats into a bowl, stir in sugar, cinnamon, nuts, & raisins, then pour on milk and wait a few minutes.

Chewy nutty bliss!
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2013, 12:03:42 PM »
I toast the old fashioned oats in a tablespoon of butter before adding water and salt, then throw in golden raisins and walnuts. Divine and not mushy or slimy.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

jpcher

« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »

And I keep trying oatmeal hoping eventually I'll like it. I don't. It's the texture. Too mushy/sticky or something.

I can't stand cooked oatmeal - icky texture. I put raw rolled oats into a bowl, stir in sugar, cinnamon, nuts, & raisins, then pour on milk and wait a few minutes.

Chewy nutty bliss!

Huh. That sounds like the beginning of oatmeal cookie dough! Yummers! ;D

I'll have to try it.

Library Dragon

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
Oatmeal smells like poverty. ;D
I've never tried steel cut but now I'm intrigued enough to try them.

Ha! Ha! 

FIL was a retired auto mechanic and raised 5 boys.  At one point MIL was forbidden to serve pasta e fagioli (pasta fazool) because that's what they ate when they had no money.  His eyes bugged out the first time he saw it on the menu at an upscale restaurant for $12 a bowl.   :o

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

ladyknight1

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
My son loves Ramen noodles, which I keep to put in stir-fries when we don't want rice. He loves boxed macaroni and cheese too. I am preparing him well for college life!

I love pasta with olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.

I can't eat thick spaghetti. Some textural thing.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Shalamar

« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »
I used to think that I hated all pasta.   I found it mushy and tasteless, even with sauce.   Then one day I tried whole wheat pasta that was very slightly undercooked, and it was DELICIOUS - chewy with a great flavor.   I guess my mum had just been overcooking it all those years!

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2013, 06:49:42 PM »
I used to think that I hated all pasta.   I found it mushy and tasteless, even with sauce.   Then one day I tried whole wheat pasta that was very slightly undercooked, and it was DELICIOUS - chewy with a great flavor.   I guess my mum had just been overcooking it all those years!

Hehehe...conversely, I thought for the longest time that I didn't like ravioli because I had only ever had them al dente, and I only like them thoroughly cooked. I thought that whole chewiness thing was part of the pocket bit.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »
I like my pasta al-dente or just a hair more undercooked.  I hate whole wheat pasta, I find it nasty.

I tried calamari for the first time not long ago.  I'm not much of a seafood eater but I'll try most things.  It wasn't bad.  I would eat it again if it was presented to me, but I don't think I'd ever order it for myself.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

ladyknight1

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
I don't enjoy marinated mushrooms or pickled peppers with meat. Especially not over the meat. I would like a lovely pork chop grilled, not pickled!
-J.R.R Tolkien