Author Topic: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......  (Read 13968 times)

CorrieFan

Re: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 12:32:10 PM »
Guinness. I'm not a beer fan but we were in an Irish themed pub for dinner  last night and one of the guys offered me a taste. No thanks in the future! I'll stick with cider.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »
Sushi. Never again.

I'm with you! I tried it recently. We were at a restaurant with friends; they claimed the sushi was awesome. I can say I tried it, but I probably won't have it again.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »
Guinness. I'm not a beer fan but we were in an Irish themed pub for dinner  last night and one of the guys offered me a taste. No thanks in the future! I'll stick with cider.

I drank a lot of Guinness when I was in N. Ireland, but they made shandies out of it, which was actually very tasty. There are many versions of shandies: lemonade, ginger ale, 7-Up. Try it!

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »
I had to Google what a funyun was! I had imagined it was something akin to a truffle :P

Oh Pen^2, I can't stop laughing - truffles - snort.  ;D  You made my day!!!

FunYuns are one of my most favorite guilty pleasures.  I can eat an entire bag during one Green Bay Packers game.  So I eat lots of them during the fall/winter.  They just GO with beer and football.

I am putthing this in very small type because everyone is going to laugh at me.  I finally tried lobster.  I'm 47 years old and my husband finally convinced me to try it.  I didn't like it. He said I should be glad that I finally TRIED it - I told him that was silly - I already KNEW I didn't like it so why should we have wasted the money just to confirm that I didn't like something I had never tried because I knew I wouldn't like it?  He rolls his eyes a lot, my husband does.  :)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »
I had to Google what a funyun was! I had imagined it was something akin to a truffle :P

Oh Pen^2, I can't stop laughing - truffles - snort.  ;D  You made my day!!!

FunYuns are one of my most favorite guilty pleasures.  I can eat an entire bag during one Green Bay Packers game.  So I eat lots of them during the fall/winter.  They just GO with beer and football.

I am putthing this in very small type because everyone is going to laugh at me.  I finally tried lobster.  I'm 47 years old and my husband finally convinced me to try it.  I didn't like it. He said I should be glad that I finally TRIED it - I told him that was silly - I already KNEW I didn't like it so why should we have wasted the money just to confirm that I didn't like something I had never tried because I knew I wouldn't like it?  He rolls his eyes a lot, my husband does.  :)

My guilty pleasure is Bugles. I can't have them in the house - I'll eat the entire bag in one sitting!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »
Haggis.

When I met Mr. Dragon 27 years ago, he told me about his culture's signature dish.
I was appalled at the idea.  :)

When we married - 25 years ago, I did commit to trying it.
I figured I'd eat a crumb, wash it down with something and never have to actually taste it.  ;D

Fast forward 15 or so years and I happen to come across a recipe for haggis.
And a light went on.

See, I had always known that haggis was made of sheep stomach (used like sausage casing), oats and organ meats (heart and lungs).
However, I had been under the impression that the source of the oatmeal was from inside the stomach. That is, that the stomach contents were removed, set aside, and used as part of the filling.

Imagine my joy to discover that this was Not the case. The contents are discarded and the oats are ordinary cooking oats.

Fast forward to last month. Mr. Dragon and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary with a trip to Scotland.
I figured that it was time to keep a 25 year promise and that if anyone was going to make this stuff edible, it was the people who invented it.  :)

I tried it 3 times. Twice with breakfast and once a vegetarian version with dinner. I also ate a dinner bun called a haggis, but apparently that doesn't count.

It's...not terrible. It tasted better than I expected, but I don't see myself acquiring a taste for it.

I also tried black pudding. It's also not too bad, but I just couldn't get past the fact that blood is one of the main ingredients.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
Sushi. Never again.

I'm with you! I tried it recently. We were at a restaurant with friends; they claimed the sushi was awesome. I can say I tried it, but I probably won't have it again.

I'm so glad it's not just me!  Sometimes it seems like the entire world loves sushi...except me.  Some coworkers insisted I try it once, telling me over and over how good it was, so I optimistically tried a piece and hated it.  Not only that, but the taste stayed on my tongue for the rest of the day.  Maybe it's an acquired taste, but whenever I think about giving it another try I remember that first awful bite and shudder.  :(
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

veronaz

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
Sushi. Never again.

I'm so glad it's not just me!  Sometimes it seems like the entire world loves sushi...except me.  Some coworkers insisted I try it once, telling me over and over how good it was, so I optimistically tried a piece and hated it.  Not only that, but the taste stayed on my tongue for the rest of the day.  Maybe it's an acquired taste, but whenever I think about giving it another try I remember that first awful bite and shudder.  :(

POD.

I tried sushi, twice.  I do not like it at all.  ugh

Joeschmo

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
For all those who didn't care for sushi if you are still interested in why so many others enjoy it there are many variations of sushi with different ingredients.  It may have been an issue with one or more of the ingredients so you could order a different kind if you ever decided to give it another chance.

CakeBeret

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
For all those who didn't care for sushi if you are still interested in why so many others enjoy it there are many variations of sushi with different ingredients.  It may have been an issue with one or more of the ingredients so you could order a different kind if you ever decided to give it another chance.

Yup. Sushi is such a broad term, like a burrito. You could taste a squid-goat cheese-and-horseradish burrito and think it's absolutely awful, but chances are there's some type of burrito out there that you'd enjoy.

My husband introduced me to sushi about two years ago. I started with an avocado and cream cheese roll and worked my way up to more exciting offerings. I really enjoy it now, but if I had started out with a strong-flavored fish roll, I know I never would have tried it again.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

suzieQ

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 05:36:41 PM »
Grapes! LOL It has been years, but I didn't try them for the very first time until I was in my 30's. I had tried muscadines and scuppernongs and didn't like those, so I didn't bother to try grapes. I love seedless grapes!

Had frog legs as a kid (won a dinner from a radio call in) and they are pretty good. Haven't had them since, but if I was offered, I would eat them again.

Steel cut oatmeal - tried it and quinoa for the first time ever last month. Love them both!
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 05:38:31 PM »
Grits! Even with butter melted in them, they still have no taste to them, so whenever I am in Nashville with dsis, and we hit the Cracker Barrel, if my meal includes grits, I let her have mine, I won't touch them!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »
I like grits with milk and sugar.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
I like my grits with cheese, salt, pepper, and butter.  yummy.

For those of you who don't like sushi..yay more for me :D.  I can eat it for hours and hours and hours.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »
Crab rangoon.  I never eat them because I don't like cream cheese, but it's a friend's favorite and she kept raving that I should at least try it and she'll bet I'll get addicted.  So I tried.  Nope.  I don't like them.  More for her.