Author Topic: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......  (Read 13482 times)

ebrochu

Re: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
Adding my voice to those that don't like sushi...

If you had the "raw fish" sushi, that's actually called sashimi, and it is a accquired taste. I love "sushi" and I still can't wrap my face around raw fish only.

I offer the idea that you might want to try "maki" instead. Those are the rolls you see in Grocery stores, the easiest way to get your feet wet on the broad "sushi" term.

especially in grocery stores, They have vegetarian rolls, rolls made with pollock, and things like that. It's not really the same as fresh made maki made at a sushi house, but it is good.

veronaz

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 06:44:43 PM »
There are people (like myself) who just.don't.like.sushi, and have no interest in trying various kinds in order to learn to like it.  No, thanks.  Sushi lovers, go ahead and enjoy yourselves.  I'll pass.   :)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »
For all those who didn't care for sushi if you are still interested in why so many others enjoy it there are many variations of sushi with different ingredients.  It may have been an issue with one or more of the ingredients so you could order a different kind if you ever decided to give it another chance.

Yup. Sushi is such a broad term, like a burrito. You could taste a squid-goat cheese-and-horseradish burrito and think it's absolutely awful, but chances are there's some type of burrito out there that you'd enjoy.

My husband introduced me to sushi about two years ago. I started with an avocado and cream cheese roll and worked my way up to more exciting offerings. I really enjoy it now, but if I had started out with a strong-flavored fish roll, I know I never would have tried it again.

I finally tried sushi last year at a place that someone said was pretty good, and I tried about 3 kinds with stuff I like in them. It was cold! That was the real shock to me. No, thank  you. The sauces were kind of fun, though.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
For all those who didn't care for sushi if you are still interested in why so many others enjoy it there are many variations of sushi with different ingredients.  It may have been an issue with one or more of the ingredients so you could order a different kind if you ever decided to give it another chance.

I don't care for the vinegar and sugar mixture in the rice. That is the one constant with sushi. I can eat it, but I don't love it. I do like other Japanese food like noodles, gomae, tempura, okonomiyaki, etc., so I am fine when people want to go to Japanese restaurants.

MOM21SON

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
My sister and I went to a Shoney's restaurant. We split a serving of frogs legs. It was okay. But whoever prepared them used black pepper as the seasoning. Every bite after the 1st one, the pepper taste got more intense.

Is that the way it's supposed to be prepared?

I think you should try them again at a more local place or so.  I can't imagine eating frog legs from Shoney's.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 08:57:43 PM »
If it doesn't have vinegar rice, it's not sushi. It might be sashimi or other Japanese or Japanese-influenced food, but the vinegar rice is what makes it sushi. It follows that if you dislike vinegar, you probably won't like sushi.

I no longer push people to try things, because even if they don't say "I've had X before and didn't like it, and I don't want to try the version at your favorite place so you can convince me that the other 8 places don't know how to make it," they may just not be in the mood to be adventurous that afternoon. I'll ask if someone wants to try something, or offer a bit of mine if I have extra, but I'm trying to be generous, not demanding. [None of this applies to those of you who are trying to convince your four-year-olds to try new foods; this is me, as an adult, talking to other adults, or children who are not in my care.]
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »
This was some years ago...

Coffee.  I honestly have no idea how anyone can drink it.  I had various people doctor it up and it is all nasty to me.  Honestly though, I don't evem like the smell.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
I tried, and like suishi. I have to be careful, and make sure I get fish and vegi only, as I am allergic to shellfish, and on that note, I love, love, love wasabi.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »
My sister and I went to a Shoney's restaurant. We split a serving of frogs legs. It was okay. But whoever prepared them used black pepper as the seasoning. Every bite after the 1st one, the pepper taste got more intense.

Is that the way it's supposed to be prepared?

Frog sets can be prepared several ways.  My father always liked them breaded and pan fried like chicken.  A traditional French version includes garlic, onion and tomato. Both are delicious.

Black pepper is not the major ingredient when preparing frog legs.     

Thank you, Thipu! The pan-fried sounds good, but the traditional French version sounds seriously yummy!!!

The other food on the Shoney's  buffet was good, but the frogs' legs were yuck.

I tried, and like suishi. I have to be careful, and make sure I get fish and vegi only, as I am allergic to shellfish, and on that note, I love, love, love wasabi.

I've tried different kinds of sushi. Different! I'm going to try wasabi.

suzieQ

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »

Coffee.  I honestly have no idea how anyone can drink it.  I had various people doctor it up and it is all nasty to me.  Honestly though, I don't evem like the smell.

I love the smell of coffee and will even put it in my brownies - yum! But can't drink coffee. Too bitter. I'm the same with alcohol. I can taste it in anything I've ever tried and it's (to me) gross.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »

I love the smell of coffee and will even put it in my brownies - yum! But can't drink coffee. Too bitter. I'm the same with alcohol. I can taste it in anything I've ever tried and it's (to me) gross.

Growing up, I hated coffee. then in college, I was, ahem, suffering the aftereffects of a night of fun, and was exhausted. So my roommate had some, and I made it, adding sugar and creamer. WOW, what a difference. I realized the fact my parents drank it strong and black was the reason. now, as I tell anyone who tries to tell me perhaps I shouldn't drink it, I"ll give it up when you pry it from my cold, dead, hand.

and its funny; when I first started drinking it, I drank it "light and sweet" Now, a hint of sugar, and medium-dark for the cream.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 10:19:44 PM »
Sauerkraut.  No thank you.  Cavier, also no thank you.  I've had several types of sushi, ranging from ok to never again.  Keep all guacamole away from me.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
Escargot. I tried it on a cruise and loved it. That garlic butter was so good! The snails themselves taste like nothing, it's like having garlic mushrooms.

DH also got me into haloumi, which is a great substitute for feta during pregnancy.

Library Dragon

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 10:56:43 PM »
Sauerkraut.  No thank you.  Cavier, also no thank you.  I've had several types of sushi, ranging from ok to never again.  Keep all guacamole away from me.

When I was a young soldier I attended a wedding reception that served only cheap "champagne" and caviar.  Bleccchhh!  It took me a long time to try either again.  Still not a fan of Champagne (or most sparkling wines), but I do like good caviar. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Kaypeep

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 11:16:52 PM »
Raw clams.  Specifically, cherry stone clams.  Had them with cocktail sauce and a little horseradish.  I actually enjoyed them.  I had tried oysters several years ago and they didn't really impress me and I never cared to have them again. But I'd get the clams again.

I still won't try sushi again, though.  I'm with some of the other PP's.  I've tried several variations over the years and none of them ever did anything for me.  Perhaps it's a texture thing.  Also, as someone else mentioned, the taste seems to linger long past the meal, which made me like it even less.  And this was not bad sushi.  It was from a top notch place in Beverly Hills, also at some high end places in NYC and the NYC area.  And I especially don't want to eat it after (finally) reading "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain.  LOL